06-02-15 10:35 AM
27 12
tools
    It sounds pricey and there's still a lot of kinks to work out... are those of you who are upgrading to BES12 doing so because your environment is mostly blackberrys? Wondering why people are not choosing a cheaper solution like Airwatch, is it because you will need to upgrade support anyway?
    03-12-15 11:16 AM
    i have about 90 ios devices, 3 android devices (samsung) and 1 bb10 device on bes 12.1
    03-12-15 11:34 AM
    Was there a reason you chose BES v. another provider? Was pricing a consideration?
    03-12-15 11:39 AM
    I don't know what management needs you have, but keep in mind there are many different costs to consider,

the license purchase is only 1

the there are the needs for other modules to make things work, perhaps licenses to other systems,

the cost of support services,

and of course also the need for security and encryption - all the way from device to storage

If you add all these components together, you will find that it's not so bad price after all, perhaps even the least expensive of them all,
    03-12-15 01:58 PM
    We have been on BES10 from the start and are currently upgrading to BES12. Partly, this is because we still have a fleet of "legacy" BBOS devices that will stay in use until they need replacement.
    03-12-15 02:08 PM
    Is there a reason to upgrade as opposed to just sticking to BES10?
    03-12-15 02:41 PM
    Is there a reason to upgrade as opposed to just sticking to BES10?
    Built-in support for legacy BBOS is a big draw, but also more stability and better performance for the newer platforms as well.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    03-15-15 12:41 AM
    Was there a reason you chose BES v. another provider? Was pricing a consideration?
    They were all in the same ballpark as pricing from what I remember and we've used BES since bes express then mobile fusion then bes10 and now bes12 all without many issues so we stuck with what we know worked for us. We dont need any major restrictions on our devices which are corporate owned personal enabled iOS and a few android devices. Blackberry has been at this MDM game for a while so I knew I would get experience, security and quality with the product.

just my two cents.
    03-16-15 08:05 AM
    I'm having to install BES 12 due to licensing for BES 10 having ceased on the 28th Feb 2015, and at this moment in time the business I represent will not fund the move to iOS so that AirWatch can be used (which is a little narrow minded of them).

If I was in the market for an MDM to manage iOS 8 it would be AirWatch all the way with their perpetual licensing, I'd want a robust iOS centric MDM and BES 12 is not this (yet ?).
    03-18-15 10:26 AM
    I'm having to install BES 12 due to licensing for BES 10 having ceased on the 28th Feb 2015
    If you buy annual BES12 CALs they are backwards compatible with BES 10, (v10.1 or v10.2) at least for a year after you buy them.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    03-19-15 06:04 PM
    I'm having to install BES 12 due to licensing for BES 10 having ceased on the 28th Feb 2015, and at this moment in time the business I represent will not fund the move to iOS so that AirWatch can be used (which is a little narrow minded of them).

If I was in the market for an MDM to manage iOS 8 it would be AirWatch all the way with their perpetual licensing, I'd want a robust iOS centric MDM and BES 12 is not this (yet ?).
    Please tell us what features of AirWatch are available for iOS that are not provided by BES12? I am running BES12 and have iOS devices so I would like to know.
    deebo550 and CerveloJohn like this.
    03-19-15 06:31 PM
    Let's say a small business with 12-15 users is interested in having secure email communications, the ability to remove company email from a device if it is lost or if an employee quits or is fired, and maybe a shared resource where files such as technical manuals or sales literature could be easily accessible to the users. The users are BYOD using mostly Android and BB10 smartphones. Eventually an iPhone user will come onboard.

How much benefit would BES offer over what Exchange Active Sync, which we currently run, offers?

We would really like to use BES but it needs to offer legit benefits to the business and at this point the potential benefits aren't clear to us.

What else of the things it offers might matter to us? Is BBM Protected really better than regular BBM?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 05:07 PM
    Let's say a small business with 12-15 users is interested in having secure email communications, the ability to remove company email from a device if it is lost or if an employee quits or is fired, and maybe a shared resource where files such as technical manuals or sales literature could be easily accessible to the users. The users are BYOD using mostly Android and BB10 smartphones. Eventually an iPhone user will come onboard.

How much benefit would BES offer over what Exchange Active Sync, which we currently run, offers?

We would really like to use BES but it needs to offer legit benefits to the business and at this point the potential benefits aren't clear to us.

What else of the things it offers might matter to us? Is BBM Protected really better than regular BBM?

Posted via CB10
    I'm using an android right now but when i had a z10 on our BES, the work drives app was amazing. I could access all my shared and network drives from my phone. Need to send an attachment that's on the network and you're at home? No problem.

A lot of the reason why I like bes is more because I can see who has what phone, the Sim, imei, model, etc. Location is supposedly coming soon too. I had trouble with people breaking phones and swapping them out and not knowing who had which phone etc. Its also nice to be able to recommend or make an app install be mandatory on the phones like our crm app and such.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    gunner-az likes this.
    03-20-15 05:54 PM
    I'm using an android right now but when i had a z10 on our BES, the work drives app was amazing. I could access all my shared and network drives from my phone. Need to send an attachment that's on the network and you're at home? No problem.

A lot of the reason why I like bes is more because I can see who has what phone, the Sim, imei, model, etc. Location is supposedly coming soon too. I had trouble with people breaking phones and swapping them out and not knowing who had which phone etc. Its also nice to be able to recommend or make an app install be mandatory on the phones like our crm app and such.

Thank you. I'm going to research the work drives app that you mentioned.
    03-21-15 08:52 AM
    Check out BlackBerry Work Drives in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/19576122

Posted via CB10
    gunner-az likes this.
    03-21-15 09:21 AM
    Check out BlackBerry Work Drives in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/19576122

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. Is the Work Drive also available for users with Android or IOS devices?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 01:20 PM
    Thank you. Is the Work Drive also available for users with Android or IOS devices?

Posted via CB10
    Nope

03-21-15 09:50 PM
    Nope

But the way Chen is going it very well could be soon

Check Out TechCraze
    03-21-15 09:55 PM
    Another thing BES does that EAS doesn't: granular security policy. For instance, you can set the work environment so that emails can't be forwarded outside the company. You can remotely wipe either the entire device, or just the workspace.

There are hundreds of policies that can be enabled.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    gunner-az likes this.
    03-23-15 12:41 AM
    Not having Work Drives for other platforms is a bummer. Unfortunately I am not able to see BES as worth the hassle for us. In the end it boils down to making sure we trust our team as we have in the past. Having a secure workspace for email is cool but we need more benefits than just that to justify cost and effort.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:48 PM
    Not having Work Drives for other platforms is a bummer. Unfortunately I am not able to see BES as worth the hassle for us. In the end it boils down to making sure we trust our team as we have in the past. Having a secure workspace for email is cool but we need more benefits than just that to justify cost and effort.

Posted via CB10
    Happy to walk you thru a BES12 solution via Skype to go thru the iOS and Android specific benefits. Have done a presentation similar for a few of our clients

Posted via CB10
    gunner-az likes this.
    03-23-15 06:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    BES is worth it if security and device/application management are important to your company. For many companies Exchange Active Sync is perfectly fine. That said, here is my response to your question. If I make a misstatement, someone please correct me.

Exchange Active Sync only provides the bare minimum of services, email, calendar, to-do, remote wipe, etc. If you want advanced services, you'll need to go for something like BES, AirWatch, Good, etc.

BES12 uses Exchange Active Sync, and adds advanced encryption, device management, application management and overall security. This is offered through the Secure Work Space (for iOS/Android) and for BB10 devices, BlackBerry Balance.

In a BYOD scenario, the Secure Work Space (SWS) and Balance keep company data secure and private data private. The company cannot see nor restrict what happens on the users' private side, but the company can control everything that happens on the secured partition. Policy settings can even be set to prevent copy/paste from the company side to the private side, or even to warn or prevent accidental forwarding of company email to people who are not part of the company. The BES admin can push or make available company specific apps that are allowed to be used on the secured partition. If an employee quits or is fired, the company can delete the secured partition and the company side is gone, without affecting the private side. In EAS, if you issue the device wipe command, the entire device is wiped, including the private side. Also with EAS, the employee can set multiple devices to receive their company emails. This can be a security risk. Under BES, it's a one-to-one relationship, one device gets one company email address.

What BES also enables is behind-the-firewall access from the secured side of the phone. The Work Drives app is one app that takes advantage of this by allowing users to remotely access files on company servers in a secured manner.

Is BBM Protected better than BBM? Like the general "is BES worth it?" question, it depends on whether you treat any of your company communications as private or not (i.e., does encryption matter to you?). By default, standard BBM is encrypted, but all phones use the same encryption keys. If you want better security, you get BBM Protected. BBM Protected adds another layer of encryption and the encryption key is set at the device level and user level. The chat initiating user has to determine the passphrase and give it to the other BBM chat participant out of channel (some way other than BBM). Once the phrase is set, all future exchanges, including file transfers, are also encrypted with the added encryption layer. BBM Protected also works with BBM Groups (which adds calendar, multiple group chats, to-do lists, picture gallery). Check out https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...bbm-protected/ for a timely update on BBM Protected.

Hope this helps.
    aussienick and gunner-az like this.
    03-23-15 06:40 PM
    We've evolved dramatically in less than 4 years from being 100% Blackberry devices to 98% Apple devices. As long as the BES and the CALs for iOS devices allowed us to wipe devices if lost or stolen, it was worth the effort. That's no longer the case moving forward, without us buying new "premium" CALs. Our users dislike the Secure work space and some of its restrictions. The cost is starting to outweigh the solution for us. Contemplating doing away with the BES solution completely.

Even for me, who loves my BB Passport is finding less and less benefit for the BES for the way I work. But now that the majority of our devices are iOS, we'll take a look at other solutions.
    03-25-15 12:02 PM
    We've evolved dramatically in less than 4 years from being 100% Blackberry devices to 98% Apple devices. As long as the BES and the CALs for iOS devices allowed us to wipe devices if lost or stolen, it was worth the effort. That's no longer the case moving forward, without us buying new "premium" CALs. Our users dislike the Secure work space and some of its restrictions. The cost is starting to outweigh the solution for us. Contemplating doing away with the BES solution completely.

Even for me, who loves my BB Passport is finding less and less benefit for the BES for the way I work. But now that the majority of our devices are iOS, we'll take a look at other solutions.
    You can wipe devices that are lost or stolen with plain Exchange Active Sync. The users can actually initiate that themselves. You wouldn't need an MDM/EMM solution for that. Given that on the iOS and Android platforms, all MDM/EMM vendors have access to the same set of APIs, so I can't imagine alternative solutions are too different from BES. If you move off of BES, let us know what you did. Would be interesting to know, especially if you moved to a competitor's solution.
    03-25-15 04:40 PM
    "Even for me, who loves my BB Passport is finding less and less benefit for the BES for the way I work. But now that the majority of our devices are iOS, we'll take a look at other solutions."
    Did you part way with BES? What alternate did you try and how was the experiment? We would be grateful if you could share your inputs

Thanks in advance
    06-02-15 04:58 AM
27 12