Can certificates only be created manually to use s/mime? My admin cannot get my startssl and comodo free certs to work. Something about the subject of the certificate not matching the company? They recommended I use openssl to create the cert but i'm so lost on how to use command prompts and openssl

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 08:11 PM
    They should work provided they're generated correctly; not all are.

But -- don't be so sure it'll interoperate anyway. I'm running into some very, very odd things with S/MIME on BES12 and the implications are quite bad.
    04-15-15 02:51 PM
    They should work provided they're generated correctly; not all are.

But -- don't be so sure it'll interoperate anyway. I'm running into some very, very odd things with S/MIME on BES12 and the implications are quite bad.
    Are you getting your s mime to work yet? My admin generated one for me but I can't decrypt messages encrypted to me for people that have my public key but I can encrypt to them. It's weird.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 03:47 PM
    No, and I run my own CA and in addition deploy this stuff for various enterprises on other devices.

There are some very odd things going on with BES12 and S/MIME; I don't know how BES10 behaves, but the phone is responsible for the actual encryption and transmission and the polite way to put this is that it's doing some very "odd" things....

I'm running it down to see if I can find out exactly where the problems lie but it's not a simple process at all when you're dealing with encrypted data and either doesn't verify or doesn't decrypt, but the device doing the encryption is allegedly happy. When you have both key halves because you're doing the testing internally there's no chance you got a corrupted one either, never mind that they're signed themselves.
    04-15-15 03:50 PM
    No, and I run my own CA and in addition deploy this stuff for various enterprises on other devices.

There are some very odd things going on with BES12 and S/MIME; I don't know how BES10 behaves, but the phone is responsible for the actual encryption and transmission and the polite way to put this is that it's doing some very "odd" things....

I'm running it down to see if I can find out exactly where the problems lie but it's not a simple process at all when you're dealing with encrypted data and either doesn't verify or doesn't decrypt, but the device doing the encryption is allegedly happy. When you have both key halves because you're doing the testing internally there's no chance you got a corrupted one either, never mind that they're signed themselves.
    BBM Protected works flawlessly so as of now that's how I'm communicating E2E with people but I need s mime to work and don't know what the hell is going on.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 04:03 PM
    I'm working on it but this one could be a lot of "fun" (in a bad sort of way); look at my threads in the BES12 area....
    04-15-15 04:07 PM