This time originating in Quebec, Canada. It was only a matter of time before Tony Merchant got in on the action.

BlackBerry Ltd. shareholders launch Quebec class-action lawsuit against smartphone maker | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd. shareholders launch Quebec class-action lawsuit against smartphone maker

Armina Ligaya | 15/10/13

Canadian BlackBerry Ltd. shareholders have launched a class-action lawsuit against the troubled smartphone maker in Quebec, alleging that it knowingly or negligently misrepresented consumer demand for its latest line of smartphones and the companys financial position.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, comes the same day that Waterloo, Ont.-based BlackBerry published an open letter in 30 daily newspapers in nine countries to assure its customers, partners and fans that the business is healthy, and has a long future ahead despite weeks of negative publicity.

The lawsuit was filed in Quebec Superior Court on behalf of Canadian shareholders who purchased BlackBerry shares between Sept. 27, 2012 and Sept. 20, 2013.

For almost a full year, BlackBerry management made market statements based on prophecy rather than fact. Thousands of Canadians who invested in BlackBerry Ltd. in the past year have lost hundreds of millions of dollars, said Tony Merchant, of Merchant Law Group, which launched the class action litigation seeking compensation for current and former BlackBerry Limited shareholders.

The lawsuit is similar to litigation launched in Ontario late last week. It alleges the company and its senior management knowingly or negligently misrepresented that the BlackBerry 10 line of smartphones were being received well by international consumers and the public at large, and that BlackBerry Limited was in a strong financial position, according to a statement by Merchant Law Group.
    10-15-13 09:46 PM
    be fair, your just waiting for the lawsuit launched by windows phone owners for misleading advertising for saying BBM4ALL instead of BBMforsome
    pcguy514 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-15-13 09:50 PM
    be fair, your just waiting for the lawsuit launched by windows phone owners for misleading advertising for saying BBM4ALL instead of BBMforsome
    Plus one fifth of Android owners
    10-15-13 09:56 PM
    Tony Merchant is quite the character. One has to read all the local Law Society decisions to appreciate it. He works 15 hours each and every day . But it is also true that he was instrumental in getting some compensation for the horrendous abuse the natives have suffered and spurred Canada to act. You did not see any of the established Canadian law firms take such a case, which is quite telling.
    10-16-13 10:46 AM
    Uh oh - Canadians suing Canadians. Is this allowed?
    I thought this was just anti BlackBerry American behavior.

Guess not.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-16-13 10:49 AM
    Quebec would prefer not to be part of Canada.. so it isn't really Canadians suing Canadians.... jk.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    10-16-13 10:54 AM
    With all these lawsuits on "behalf" of shareholders, does the forward looking statement disclaimers that usually come with all news release have any bearing to their claims? I thought those disclaimers are issued to prevent these sort of things.
    10-16-13 11:04 AM
    Tony Merchant is quite the character. One has to read all the local Law Society decisions to appreciate it. He works 15 hours each and every day . But it is also true that he was instrumental in getting some compensation for the horrendous abuse the natives have suffered and spurred Canada to act. You did not see any of the established Canadian law firms take such a case, which is quite telling.
    Good point. He must see some potential in this case for pursuing it in the first place.
    10-16-13 11:06 AM
    Quebec would prefer not to be part of Canada.. so it isn't really Canadians suing Canadians.... jk.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    Well, two referendums and both ended up with a majority prefering to stay in Canada. So I disagree with your joke :P

I have a couple of friends who either worked or were interns at BlackBerry, and they liked, especially working on BB10.

And I just looked at the document and articles about it and it isn't about losing money over an unreceived email or stuff like that, being too difficult to prove. It is just for not having the service they paid for, so like one dollar per day per customer. Just whiners. I didn't get any service cut back in 2011 anyway.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 11:16 AM
    So you like paying for something you do not receive? That is the attitude that allows Canadian telcos to milk billions of dollars in overcharges, "government fees," termination fees, etc. Because the tough Canadians are not "whiners" that sue...

Well, two referendums and both ended up with a majority prefering to stay in Canada. So I disagree with your joke :P

I have a couple of friends who either worked or were interns at BlackBerry, and they liked, especially working on BB10.

And I just looked at the document and articles about it and it isn't about losing money over an unreceived email or stuff like that, being too difficult to prove. It is just for not having the service they paid for, so like one dollar per day per customer. Just whiners. I didn't get any service cut back in 2011 anyway.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 11:24 AM
    when i brought up this possibility awhile ago, i was scoffed @,,, now, i'm not the type of guy to say, "i toldja so", but in this case, i'll make an exception,,, i toldja so...
    10-16-13 12:11 PM
    I can only imagine how many crackberry members lost considerable sums of money by investing. At one point this site was like a scene out of Boiler Room with all the stock pimping that was going on.
    10-16-13 12:18 PM
    I can only imagine how many crackberry members lost considerable sums of money by investing. At one point this site was like a scene out of Boiler Room with all the stock pimping that was going on.
    LOL, they are still pumping.
    10-16-13 12:30 PM
    So you like paying for something you do not receive? That is the attitude that allows Canadian telcos to milk billions of dollars in overcharges, "government fees," termination fees, etc. Because the tough Canadians are not "whiners" that sue...
    True. They are in their full right to do so. The word 'whiners' was probably a bad choice.

I just wouldn't bother all the trouble for a couple of dollars, even just to set things right. The stress and time it would take isn't worth a couple of dollars to me. But if there are more resilient persons out there that want to take time for that, just go ahead. I would probably change my mind if this happened often though or if if was a repetitive fee like service fee, because it is more than a couple of dollars in the end.

And I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but the fact that this outage was an isolated accident and not a planned redundant fee like telcos changes something to the way I perceive it, and to my motivation to go after my money.

And then, it doesn't affect me anyway, since as I said before I didn't get any outage.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 08:11 AM
    Fair comment. I did not like the word "whiners" Here is why:

Apart from class-action lawsuit, there is no mechanism to dislodge or discourage these various "oversights" (fees, outages, overbilling, etc. covered up with bad, outsourced customer service) by what is essentially oligopoly in many markets for Canadians.

The thinking on a micro-scale is valid -- no one has the energy to spend 3 hours on the phone with India to correct a 5 dollar overcharge, or get compensation for a one day outage. But the result on a macro-scale is hitting the pockets of Canadains daily because companies can do it with impunity.

The same companies actively promote the theme that Americans are bad "because litigation" to discourage Canadians from enforcing their rights but when there is competition in sight (e.g. Verizon), they will wrap themselves in the flag while without mercy stab a Canadian business in the back (e.g. Rogers not carrying Z30).

Think on this: In the US, plaintiff lawyers want jury trials. In Canada, defence lawyers jury trials.

True. They are in their full right to do so. The word 'whiners' was probably a bad choice.

I just wouldn't bother all the trouble for a couple of dollars, even just to set things right. The stress and time it would take isn't worth a couple of dollars to me. But if there are more resilient persons out there that want to take time for that, just go ahead. I would probably change my mind if this happened often though or if if was a repetitive fee like service fee, because it is more than a couple of dollars in the end.

And I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but the fact that this outage was an isolated accident and not a planned redundant fee like telcos changes something to the way I perceive it, and to my motivation to go after my money.

And then, it doesn't affect me anyway, since as I said before I didn't get any outage.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 01:06 PM
    Fair comment. I did not like the word "whiners" Here is why:

Apart from class-action lawsuit, there is no mechanism to dislodge or discourage these various "oversights" (fees, outages, overbilling, etc. covered up with bad, outsourced customer service) by what is essentially oligopoly in many markets for Canadians.

The thinking on a micro-scale is valid -- no one has the energy to spend 3 hours on the phone with India to correct a 5 dollar overcharge, or get compensation for a one day outage. But the result on a macro-scale is hitting the pockets of Canadains daily because companies can do it with impunity.

The same companies actively promote the theme that Americans are bad "because litigation" to discourage Canadians from enforcing their rights but when there is competition in sight (e.g. Verizon), they will wrap themselves in the flag while without mercy stab a Canadian business in the back (e.g. Rogers not carrying Z30).

Think on this: In the US, plaintiff lawyers want jury trials. In Canada, defence lawyers jury trials.
    I agree with your points, except I still consider one-day accidental outage per year (effectively less than that) not to be trial material. I see it as the same as if you accidently accelerated 1 or 2 km/h over the speed limit and get arrested by the police for it. He is perfectly right to arrest you since you broke the law, but he needs a real good reason for himself to take time to do it.

I realise sometimes it can be ambiguous, but still, an error is bond to happen someday. It happened for some users, BlackBerry has taken responsibility for it gave them 100$ worth of apps, but it seems that's not what they wanted, they wanted a 5$ check. So be it, we'll see if they win.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 03:36 PM