What�s New this Build?

Chat with people outside of your BBM Contacts! Chatting with new friends is even easier. This new version of BBM allows you to send and receive messages with email contacts in your address book that are not yet BBM contacts. You�re always in control - these �extended� contacts won�t be able to see your profile picture or status updates until you add them as a BBM contact � which can be done easily with the push of a button.
    04-06-15 03:29 PM
    Why don't they just go further and add in their telephone number tho? That way the person receives it as a text and we receive their reply in BBM. Also.. kill the msg retraction subscription BS and I still want my video calling to go cross platform.

Let's not forget that the person has to be using a BBM version that has the feature so how the mofo'er are we suppose to know that? Are they gonna apply something like Imessage that automatically knows and so we know if we can communicate with the contact that way? It always seems like BlackBerry every now and again fail to inform us of the key bits of info we need to know when they upgrade apps.

Ok.. so now that I've installed it. It's really not bad. It even actually shows the persons bbm pin and allows you to chat with them without actually adding them as a contact. Giving that you need an email to register for bbm it automatically knows who has bbm as long as they used that email to register. In reality.. it does the same exact thing as whatsapp but uses email addresses instead.

I can see this increasing bbm's userbase substantially.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport�
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 04-06-15 at 04:23 PM.
    leejayh likes this.
    04-06-15 03:42 PM
    Why don't they just go further and let me send messages to Austronauts on the International Space station?

What I'm saying is the critics will never shut up. And to be honest, most of the criticism of bbm is 2 things:

The apps on other platforms suck, which is true and fair criticism.

And the functionality of BBM is less than completing platforms, like WhatsApp. Which is also fair criticism.

Posted via CB10
    leejayh likes this.
    04-06-15 03:51 PM
    After digesting this further I'm not as wowed as much as I initially was.
    04-06-15 03:54 PM
    This seems to be sending a pin message somehow extracting the details of the receiver's pin number.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 02:10 PM
    This seems to be sending a pin message somehow extracting the details of the receiver's pin number.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that. We use our email addresses to set up a BlackBerry ID and that's what's used to also sign into BBM. All they need to do is scan your email contacts and where there's a match.. it's on. Just like whatsapp scans your address book phone numbers.

04-07-15 02:14 PM
    I doubt that. We use our email addresses to set up a BlackBerry ID and that's what's used to also sign into BBM. All they need to do is scan your email contacts and where there's a match.. it's on. Just like whatsapp scans your address book phone numbers.

Yes, true but the message being received has to be a pin message still. Isnt it? Or just an email message.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 04:12 AM
    Yes, true but the message being received has to be a pin message still. Isnt it? Or just an email message.

Posted via CB10
    I assume it will just be a "blank" bbm message? It might have your name or just your email address? It should be similar to a pin message.

Then you can push an invite.

The problem of course is a lot of people signed up for bbm, and then got rid of it, so it will lead to a lot of false positives.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 09:50 AM
    Perhaps our contacts who doesn't have BBM will still receive a message from our BBM as an email. The format can be like :

Email from [email protected]

<message>

This message was sent from you via BBM. To communicate faster or more seamlessly please download BBM at bbm.com bla bla bla

So when our contact click on the link they will download & register BBM. Then this person will automatically send an invitation to the sender to add as a contact.

For those who has BBM but registered using another email will be able to tap on another link to reply. Then the sender will automatically have a BBM message from the recipient & we can add them.

For those who just click reply, we will receive a BBM from his email address.

I'm sure in this way we will be able to significantly increase the BBM user base. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 12:00 PM