It's well known that should BlackBerry be sold to a foreign buyer, it's subject to a review from the Government of Canada.
    Ottawa prepared to review any foreign bid for BlackBerry: Tony Clement | CTV News

However, if BlackBerry is broken up and sold for parts, are those transactions subject to the same scrutiny?

Also, would the federal review process apply if BlackBerry sells divisions & assets under private ownership?
    10-10-13 12:19 PM
    It's well known that should BlackBerry be sold to a foreign buyer, it's subject to a review from the Government of Canada.
    Ottawa prepared to review any foreign bid for BlackBerry: Tony Clement | CTV News

However, if BlackBerry is broken up and sold for parts, are those transactions subject to the same scrutiny?

Also, would the federal review process apply if BlackBerry sells divisions & assets under private ownership?
    That is an interesting question...

But, on my side I'cant see how they will not be involve somehow. As it is for many governement and agencies around the world, only Blackberry presently meet their expected security level ....i could not believed they will just let that append without, at least, obtain some garantie that the present BlackBerry secure system will be maintained.
    10-10-13 12:34 PM
    That is an interesting question...

But, on my side I'cant see how they will not be involve somehow. As it is for many governement and agencies around the world, only Blackberry presently meet their expected security level ....i could not believed they will just let that append without, at least, obtain some garantie that the present BlackBerry secure system will be maintained.
    BlackBerry is a public company that offer products on the free market. They are loosing money right now.. even IF the Canadian or another government didn't like BlackBerry's NOC being bought by someone in China, what could the do? Agree to subsidise BlackBerry over the other products on the market?

BlackBerry has an expiration date. It isn't like some mine in the northwest whose minerals are most likely only going to get more valuable in the ground as time goes on. BB is loosing hardware and software/service revenue customer ever day and has been almost all year. Give them another six months of this uncertainty and there won't be enough left to support any kind of come back.
    10-14-13 01:38 PM
    BlackBerry is a public company that offer products on the free market. They are loosing money right now.. even IF the Canadian or another government didn't like BlackBerry's NOC being bought by someone in China, what could the do? Agree to subsidise BlackBerry over the other products on the market?

BlackBerry has an expiration date. It isn't like some mine in the northwest whose minerals are most likely only going to get more valuable in the ground as time goes on. BB is loosing hardware and software/service revenue customer ever day and has been almost all year. Give them another six months of this uncertainty and there won't be enough left to support any kind of come back.
    well said. Do not think the Canada gov would do anything if the involving COs are from US/Germany.

But I believe the Canada gov would block a buy from China, not sure about Samsung. But Samsung is not interested anyway.
    10-14-13 06:18 PM
    One would think the government would have an interest if the encryption patents change hands. Just wondering if they can get involved with a private sale.
    10-15-13 09:12 AM
    It looks like it is reviewable on one ground (national security) and potentially reviewable on the net benefit test (depending on what and how and who buys it).

PART IV.1INVESTMENTS INJURIOUS TO NATIONAL SECURITY
    Marginal note:Application

25.1 This Part applies in respect of an investment, implemented or proposed, by a non-Canadian

(a) to establish a new Canadian business;

(b) to acquire control of a Canadian business in any manner described in subsection 28(1); or

(c) to acquire, in whole or in part, or to establish an entity carrying on all or any part of its operations in Canada if the entity has

(i) a place of operations in Canada,

(ii) an individual or individuals in Canada who are employed or self-employed in connection with the entitys operations, or

(iii) assets in Canada used in carrying on the entitys operations.

Just because they part it out does not mean it is not reviewable. If that was the case, then every seller will part it out by-passing the rule.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    10-15-13 12:33 PM
    Thank you. That's the exact info I was seeking.
    10-15-13 12:58 PM