Windows Phone is the new BlackBerry (but in a really, really good way) | VentureBeat

According to this article, Windows Phone is the next BlackBerry. Interesting how their market shares have changed in the course of a year.
    07-08-13 09:49 PM
    Another article referencing that same Kantar report which may or may not be accurate. I have seen conflicting reports.
    07-08-13 09:57 PM
    Kinda weird, I see at least 20 BlackBerry over here for every windows phone. ^_^
    07-08-13 10:02 PM
    In Connecticut I've seen 1 windows phone and 1 Z10.

My friend returned his windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-08-13 10:15 PM
    Makes sense actually. Windows phone is blackberrys top competition(android and ios are targets, not competition). Windows phone and bb are battling to convert as many users as they can, and so far winphone has the upper hand. The nokia/microsoft combo has assured wp8 a range of devices from the budget (lumia 520) to the flagships (lumia 920/925/928) including the ultimate camera phone and successor to the king 808:the EOS(aka lumia1020) with its massive 41mp sensor. Bb may have good presence on several markets with the legacy devices, but wp8 is pushing hard. If bb10 wants to survive, it needs to step up its game and offer a wider range of devices that cover all the bases.

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-13 10:26 PM
    All I can say is that Nokia's shipped 2.6 million phones in North America since they launched the Lumia (Q1 2012) until the end of Q1 2013.

That's about a 1.7% market share over that time, and Nokia represents the majority of Windows Phone sales.

ComScore's figures also indicate that Windows Phone's share is under 3% during the last three months.
    07-08-13 10:46 PM
    When I see all 6 BlackBerry devices launched world-wide for 1 Year, then I will compare Windows phone to BlackBerry. Until then, the comparison to see who will take third is useless.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 12:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    Looooool

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 12:32 AM
    Hey rock75:

What's so funny? What he didn't mention was that the (1) Z10 owner was him!

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-09-13 01:08 AM
    Kinda weird, I see at least 20 BlackBerry over here for every windows phone. ^_^
    There are leading indicators (new devices shipped) and lagging indicators (devices in use). The unfortunate problem with a lot of these articles is they simply say, "marketshare" without expanding on what marketshare they speak. Worse, they mix it up. I've seen journalists call BlackBerry web traffic "marketshare", data reported by Good on devices supported by good "marketshare", and proclaim Windows Phone is now "the third largest platform" because Microsoft's most recent quarter shipped more new devices than BlackBerry did in that three month period.

Think about it this way:

Windows Phone has a head start over BlackBerry 10.

• Microsoft did ship more phones than BlackBerry this particular quarter. Made sense ... Nokia had a full line-up, available globally and was pushing agressively.
    • BB was still filling markets with the Z10 throughout the quarter. Q10 was only beginning to ship in some markets and the Q5 was only announced. Meanwhile, the rest of the world knew those device were coming so imagine how many people were likely to rush out and buy BBOS devices knowing this?

Legacy BlackBerry has a head start over Windows Phone
    • It's been out for a lot longer than Windows Phone. And despite the decline in the US, the global BlackBerry user base only peaked a couple of quarters ago. It's going to take a while for Windows Phone to catch up and surpass legacy BlackBerry devices by virtue of the volume of legacy devices.

You will see regional variances.
    • I was out at a pub on Saturday with some friends in downtown Toronto. I saw plenty of iPhones and Galaxies. I also saw about 6 Q10s at the restaurant and 3 or 4 Z10s plus my own Z10. I saw no Windows Phones whatsoever. I'm also in Toronto. If we were in a pub in downtown Helsinki, I imagine the trend would be reversed!

Microsoft Windows Phone has a head start on BlackBerry 10 without question. And more of them moved this past quarter, without question globally. Despite Microsoft's bragging though, I don't think they're "solidly # 3" ... not with the BlackBerry OS userbase likely still 3 times their size and such a heavy dependency on one specific OEM partner.
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    07-09-13 02:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have seen at least 4 Z10s and 1 Q10. My friend was a big supporter of Windows Phone when it came out, but I recently found out that he sold his Lumia 920 for a Galaxy Note. He tells me that he still finds WP8 to be Beta.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 12:02 AM
    My wife has a Windows Phone. She likes it in some ways, but it's still got some of that beta testing feel to it: can't do document attachments to a single email, can't connect to a wireless network and have CIFS support. The app quality is definitely a step down as well: almost all of them seem to be third party.

Even further irony, it's an HTC Windows Phone 8X as opposed to one of the Nokias.
    07-10-13 01:41 PM
    ComScore's figures also indicate that Windows Phone's share is under 3% during the last three months.
    It's up to 3% now of the 141 million user market. They actually grew their raw users slightly, whereas BlackBerry is still churning users in the market. More BlackBerrys in use still but BB definitely needs to reverse the trend.

comScore Reports May 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    07-11-13 05:48 PM
    It's up to 3% now of the 141 million user market. They actually grew their raw users slightly, whereas BlackBerry is still churning users in the market. More BlackBerrys in use still but BB definitely needs to reverse the trend.

comScore Reports May 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    The next comScore report will be telling, with both the Z10 and Q10 having been on the market almost the entire 3 months of reporting.
    07-18-13 11:14 PM
    The next comScore report will be telling, with both the Z10 and Q10 having been on the market almost the entire 3 months of reporting.
    But that's still only high end phones. Although it's also BlackBerry who is at fault for.npt having a true budget phone right now. I have a feeling that we won't see a true budget phone until at least next year due to the specs that BlackBerry requires to make sure the experience is good.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 09:14 AM
    But that's still only high end phones. Although it's also BlackBerry who is at fault for.npt having a true budget phone right now. I have a feeling that we won't see a true budget phone until at least next year due to the specs that BlackBerry requires to make sure the experience is good.

Posted via CB10
    It's already been stated time and time again. NO BUDGET PHONES. There is no money in them at all period. Thor has said this. They are not going to compete in sub 100-200 market.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 12:36 PM
    It's already been stated time and time again. NO BUDGET PHONES. There is no money in them at all period. Thor has said this. They are not going to compete in sub 100-200 market.

Posted via CB10

It doesn't matter what blackberry intended.

Here in the uk z10 are selling for as low as 180 on gumtree (saw a locked carrier model for 150)
    Q10's are around 280.
    08-03-13 06:24 AM
    It doesn't matter what blackberry intended.

Here in the uk z10 are selling for as low as 180 on gumtree (saw a locked carrier model for 150)
    Q10's are around 280.
    I think the poster was referring to $100-$200 as the budget phone market. The median price for the Z10 seems to be in the mid to upper 200s on Gumtree in the UK, which would translate into $400+ - still fitting in the premium end of the market. There needs to be further price reductions just to get the Z10 firmly into the mid-tier of the market, let alone the budget market.

A true budget phone would be one priced akin to the Lumia 520, which is going for a median price of under 100 on Gumtree and as low as 60 new and locked. I'm not sure that BlackBerry is going to go into that market, although it would certainly help their unit numbers, but not profits.
    08-03-13 08:50 PM
    The other thing is that more and more individual Android OEMs are outselling blackberry (and nokia for that matter) as well - LG have done it and now Sony have done it (9.6 million in last quarter).
    08-05-13 06:12 AM