Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY): How The NSA Scandal Might Actually Help - Insider Monkey

Points out the true fact that RIM/Blackberry was conspicuously missing from the list of smartphone platform vendors who provide access to their customer data to the NSA.

Of course that doesn't mean that they do not, but the fact that the company is headquartered in Canada (which, among other things, doesn't have a "Patriot Act"), probably complicates matters for the NSA.

According to something else I read yesterday, cellular carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile require the NSA to jump through significantly more hoops to access their customer data, due to their substantial foreign ownership which makes them subject to laws that don't impact 100% US-owned carriers.

I've been saying since last year that RIM should emphasize and tout their significantly different approach to monetization of customer data.

In fact, preliminary marketing materials for BB10 that were leaked prior to the release of the devices touted exactly that. I was very disappointed that such concepts were never seen in official post-launch materials.
    06-14-13 06:16 PM
    This is interesting but it fails to recognize the fact that Canada essentially has their own "Patriot Act" in effect.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle12444909/
    06-14-13 06:20 PM
    Good point Bla1ze. Anybody who thought otherwise is naive, IMHO.

When it comes to protecting my privacy, I definitely trust BlackBerry more than I trust our (or anyone else's) government.
    06-14-13 09:43 PM
    What's the big deal about...most people don't care about it anyways

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 09:44 PM
    That's interesting. Everybody I know is very concerned about it.
    peter9477 likes this.
    06-14-13 10:25 PM