I have heard John Chen talk so effusively about the future "cool and high end" phones that BlackBerry will be making but I can't help myself but wonder if BlackBerry can actually deliver these "cool factor" phones. I also wonder if what he thinks is "cool" will be embraced as "cool" by the consumers/prosumers.
    Personally I think John Chen's style of pragmatism and positivity is a breathe of fresh that is much needed by BlackBerry, its loyalists and investors. Nevertheless I keep having these nagging feels that we have been down this road before with Thorsten Heins's "Q10 will sell in 100's of millions".
    01-13-14 10:16 PM
    To be fair, it was 10's of millions. As far as the "cool" phones go, I see what you mean. If the high end focus is physical keyboard then not sure how "cool" to the general public that will be. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I am hoping they stay on the path of high end touch as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:21 PM
    JC has some great things in a short period of time so I'm going to take him for his word and see if he delivers. I would to hear what his definition of cool is tho

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:22 PM
    To be fair, it was 10's of millions. As far as the "cool" phones go, I see what you mean. If the high end focus is physical keyboard then not sure how "cool" to the general public that will be. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I am hoping they stay on the path of high end touch as well.

Posted via CB10
    My bad, you are right, it was 10's of millions.
    01-13-14 10:28 PM
    JC has some great things in a short period of time so I'm going to take him for his word and see if he delivers. I would to hear what his definition of cool is tho

Posted via CB10
    Yes I agree. I'm impressed with what he has set out to do but like you I am curious to know what his definition of "cool" is.
    mycj7 likes this.
    01-13-14 10:32 PM
    Lol..im a bit confused as well because arnt we focusing on enterprise and not the consumer so are we going to be making cool enterprise phones?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:37 PM
    Lol..im a bit confused as well because arnt we focusing on enterprise and not the consumer so are we going to be making cool enterprise phones?

Posted via CB10
    Well....you can technically make a station wagon cool....so why not an enterprise phone?

CB10'n it via da Z
    01-13-14 10:43 PM
    I beg to differ you can make a station wagon cool lol but you can make some high quality enterprise devices. I'm still hoping for a z50 next Xmas that is out of this world

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:49 PM
    I think there's some misinterpretation of Chen's plan and some mixing of short term with long term.

Yes he said he was was going to focus on enterprise FIRST. He also said he was going to come around to the consumer market when the time was right.

Yes he said the next devices would be PREDOMINENTELY Keyboard. But not exclusively.

What this means is he's going to make some keyboard devices geared to enterprise right now, because he needs to make some money - simple as that. He knows that's the easiest market to capture and get some cash on the books. THEN with a few wins under his belt and some extra cash to spend he'll hit the consumer market with the cool phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:33 PM
    I personally think that behind closed doors, BlackBerry has no intentions of giving up on the consumer. They're downplaying it by saying they will concentrate on enterprise for now. If true, it's a Smart move. They will take everyone by surprise without setting themselves up for a possible fall like 2013 turned out to be. Just my take.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-13-14 11:42 PM
    I personally think that behind closed doors, BlackBerry has no intentions of giving up on the consumer. They're downplaying it by saying they will concentrate on enterprise for now. If true, it's a Smart move. They will take everyone by surprise without setting themselves up for a possible fall like 2013 turned out to be. Just my take.

Posted via CB10
    Where do you get the behind closed doors? Chen has specifically said.. in these exact words.. that he has no plans to abandon the consumer market.

This article in particular has several good quotes directly from Chen on the subject:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ceo-interview-ces-2014

Not the least of which being "Consumers are still on the radar, but Chen said BlackBerry has to win the regulated industry first."

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:50 PM
    That would be very impressive if he can put the cool factor in BlackBerry cos it is very uncool now to be holding into now as the outsiders say it. BlackBerry is the best smartphone I have. It fits in my use. The last time I really liked a phone was a Samsung clamshell type of phone. It was to me the best! Comes android and iphone. I wasn't satisfied with them so I decided to try BlackBerry. I bought the cheapest one I could find as I didn't wanna spend in a phone I didn't know. I got 8520 and wow even with the lags after putting a lot of files I liked using it so I decided to sell it and I got a 9360. It's very good looking and very slim. I sold it after few months use and deciding between 9900 & q10. I bought the latter but was very expensive here. Very happy with this phone and waiting for more official updates then it will be much much better. Just gotta be patient.

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    01-13-14 11:57 PM
    I say this with the utmost respect. Asians are responsible for anime. Case closed.
    01-14-14 12:15 AM
    I don't know if you think that is a positive or a negative lol

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N and mEntal8y like this.
    01-14-14 12:17 AM
    Cool and keyboard don't work on smartphones. The keyboard will add bulk, most people do not want them, they further limit accessory support.

I cant say that I'm a big HW keyboard user, but having carried a legacy BBOS device alongside touchscreen Winmo and Android. The benefit of the hardware keyboard is outweighed by the reduction in screen size and additional bulk.

I can't see any being faster than Swype or SwiftKey. BlackBerry was ready available when Android and IOS came to market. Consumer choice on the matter is clear. Moto Droid, sidekick, Samsung Epic 4G, BlackBerry all dead keyboard brands.

An official keyboard case for touchscreen models and 100/150$ Q5/Q10 are the extent of hardware keyboard support I would recommend.
    01-14-14 12:18 AM
    Where do you get the behind closed doors? Chen has specifically said.. in these exact words.. that he has no plans to abandon the consumer market.

This article in particular has several good quotes directly from Chen on the subject:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ceo-interview-ces-2014

Not the least of which being "Consumers are still on the radar, but Chen said BlackBerry has to win the regulated industry first."

Posted via CB10
    You're completely correct. I'm just talking about Mr. Chen saying they're going back to their roots and concentrating on the enterprise markets for the MOST part now. I realize he said they're not abandoning the consumer market. By behind closed doors, I meant that they have every intention to concentrate on devices as much as before without saying it out loud. This brings less pressure while trying to accomplish what they intended back in Jan 2013. This would also more importantly keep the press out of the equation and expectations lower. Just a feeling. Could be wrong as always.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:27 AM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up on that front. I have every confidence that we will get a new high end consumer device. But I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Sit back. Enjoy the current crop of BB10 devices and their constantly evolving and improving software. Allow Chen to do what he has to do to return to profitability (i.e attack the enterprise market) And in due time, new devices will come.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:32 AM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up on that front. I have every confidence that we will get a new high end consumer device. But I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Sit back. Enjoy the current crop of BB10 devices and their constantly evolving and improving software. Allow Chen to do what he has to do to return to profitability (i.e attack the enterprise market) And in due time, new devices will come.

Posted via CB10
    That completely works also.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:35 AM
    A slider phone with the option to have virtual keyboard on screen. Q30!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 12:36 AM
    Maybe he's been checking out some of the concept phones on crackberry.
    01-14-14 06:37 AM
    Maybe he's been checking out some of the concept phones on crackberry.
    That would be interesting. However, didn't he say he was a software guy? So shouldn't it be the new device president, Louk, that ought to be talking about BlackBerry making cool phones?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 07:33 AM
    They definitely need to up the design. A business phone doesn't have to be dull and boring. The Z series design is OK but nothing special when put up against the rest of the competition.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:15 AM
    John Chen's initial moves for the company are very well received by the media (BGR and other haters aside). The momentum has started in making some very good strategic changes, even though the details to the initiatives are still up in the air. We'll see how JC will deliver but definitely focusing on the "roots" sounds to me a like sound plan. Corporations public and private alike do have a "demand" for a keyboard based device. With BB's patents it's a no brainer that they will produce a more powerful version of the Q10 with a bigger screen. Words in the tech market relate this to the Windermere (Q30) and the Ontario (the next Z10/30 variant). But don't quote me on that -
    (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ia/dX1dn3i9vfg)
    But chances are the Q30 variant will of course have a bigger screen. I know many people in all workplaces that are looking forward to the next sleek keyboard based device. As for the Z10/Z30/Z50 yes a redesign along with stronger performance would be in order.

With the current selection of four phones (adding the Q5) into the mix the additional new models will bring out quite the lineup. As always the older models will lower in price and with the successes in Messaging, BBM, QNX, BIS, BES10, etc, along with a positive sales with the reduction in prices and more customer confidence, anything is then possible.

Enterprise users are not robots by the way, even though it may seem like they are, the enteprise user is very much also a consumer. Catering to the consumer on top of a platform that is top of the line in terms of cyber security is just a logical step. 10.2.1 with its Android app sideloading capability should be interesting.. hopefully we'll see more ethical and unbiased sales personal at phone stores/kiosks doing a more "educated" job informing the consumer of how great these phones are.
    01-14-14 03:42 PM
    John Chen's initial moves for the company are very well received by the media (BGR and other haters aside). The momentum has started in making some very good strategic changes, even though the details to the initiatives are still up in the air. We'll see how JC will deliver but definitely focusing on the "roots" sounds to me a like sound plan. Corporations public and private alike do have a "demand" for a keyboard based device. With BB's patents it's a no brainer that they will produce a more powerful version of the Q10 with a bigger screen. Words in the tech market relate this to the Windermere (Q30) and the Ontario (the next Z10/30 variant). But don't quote me on that -
    (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ia/dX1dn3i9vfg)
    But chances are the Q30 variant will of course have a bigger screen. I know many people in all workplaces that are looking forward to the next sleek keyboard based device. As for the Z10/Z30/Z50 yes a redesign along with stronger performance would be in order.

With the current selection of four phones (adding the Q5) into the mix the additional new models will bring out quite the lineup. As always the older models will lower in price and with the successes in Messaging, BBM, QNX, BIS, BES10, etc, along with a positive sales with the reduction in prices and more customer confidence, anything is then possible.

Enterprise users are not robots by the way, even though it may seem like they are, the enteprise user is very much also a consumer. Catering to the consumer on top of a platform that is top of the line in terms of cyber security is just a logical step. 10.2.1 with its Android app sideloading capability should be interesting.. hopefully we'll see more ethical and unbiased sales personal at phone stores/kiosks doing a more "educated" job informing the consumer of how great these phones are.
    Interesting link. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
    01-14-14 05:52 PM