02-19-16 11:45 AM
61 123
tools
    I think it is very possible, in fact with right strategy and execution, $150 and over is coming home to BBRY shareholders.
    02-24-15 11:07 PM
    I have so if the people and companies going to give BlackBerry anh chance

#BBFactCheck
    02-25-15 06:54 AM
    ...and then we all woke up !!

$150 per share at this point is simply a hopeful fantasy as Blackberry's current market performance is just not there. While they are making some logical moves, no resulting positive changes have been realized or even predicted in the short term. The market is just so negative regarding the brand and so completely locked up by Google and Apple they don't seem to be able gain any traction above the 1% market share. Even Microsoft is experiencing the same issues as their market share has similarly staled at around 3.5%.

This is exactly what JC was talking about when he discussed "application neutrality" which is effectively creating duopoly in the current consumer mobile marketplace. Heck, I've even had where some internet sites that have detected my Playbook and completely blocked access to a simple website. At what point are we going to start to see this platform segregation move to the internet at large allowing only a certain OS or devices to view content ?
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    02-25-15 12:04 PM
    ...and then we all woke up !!

$150 per share at this point is simply a hopeful fantasy as Blackberry's current market performance is just not there. While they are making some logical moves, no resulting positive changes have been realized or even predicted in the short term. The market is just so negative regarding the brand and so completely locked up by Google and Apple they don't seem to be able gain any traction above the 1% market share. Even Microsoft is experiencing the same issues as their market share has similarly staled at around 3.5%.

This is exactly what JC was talking about when he discussed "application neutrality" which is effectively creating duopoly in the current consumer mobile marketplace. Heck, I've even had where some internet sites that have detected my Playbook and completely blocked access to a simple website. At what point are we going to start to see this platform segregation move to the internet at large allowing only a certain OS or devices to view content ?
    What sites are blocking the PlayBook? I have seen "entertainment" sites that block content to mobile devices, but I didn't know there were any sites just targeting the PlayBook.

Personally think a duopoly is much better than the monopoly that Microsoft had for so many years. Sadly BlackBerry had their shot at being part of the market, the decisions that the company made at that time lead to their becoming irrelevant in the mobile market. Net neutrality is about keeping the internet content "free" from such segregation.... it wasn't about forcing developers to create an application for an irrelevant platform (most likely only #6 in marketshare).
    jmr1015 and techvisor like this.
    02-25-15 01:23 PM
    What sites are blocking the PlayBook? I have seen "entertainment" sites that block content to mobile devices, but I didn't know there were any sites just targeting the PlayBook.
    Hulu

Go back into the early posts of the PlayBook forum and you'll see Hulu's website worked fine for a few days before Hulu killed access. Someone found a work around which worked for a few days before Hulu killed that. Hulu hasn't worked since on any BlackBerry device.
    02-25-15 06:21 PM
    Hulu

Go back into the early posts of the PlayBook forum and you'll see Hulu's website worked fine for a few days before Hulu killed access. Someone found a work around which worked for a few days before Hulu killed that. Hulu hasn't worked since on any BlackBerry device.
    That is due to their contractual obligation to the content owners. They are doing the same on all the rooted Android devices. It is within their right to decide who to serve their contents.
    anon1727506 and jmr1015 like this.
    02-25-15 07:56 PM
    That is due to their contractual obligation to the content owners. They are doing the same on all the rooted Android devices. It is within their right to decide who to serve their contents.
    The answer to the OP's question is "no".

Secondly, even publishers like Netflix are denying access to BlackBerry 10 devices through the Amazon App Store.
    02-25-15 08:11 PM
    Watsa would be happy...

Screw the shorts... :-)

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-02-15 02:50 AM
    Well, back when BBRY hit that high, BlackBerry devices had some ridiculously high percentage of smartphone market share, they were generating billions in revenue every quarter, and had a market cap over $80 billion.

Right now, revenue has been in free fall for 5 or 6 consecutive quarters, and market cap is, what? $5 billion? They're sitting around 0.4% market share, and the stock is trading around $7 to $10.

I think BlackBerry needs to level out their falling revenue and try and get back to break-even at least, long before thinking about a return to serious unadjusted profitability... Those challenges are large enough, but you're talking about increasing market cap and share price roughly 15X...? Could it happen? I mean, anything is possible... but I wouldn't hold my breath...
    03-02-15 04:48 AM
    Back then BlackBerry was a lot like Apple in that they could charge a premium for their products. But the uniqueness of PUSH email is gone, everyone has instant email and good battery life now, And there are dozens of EMMs out there undercutting BlackBerry's BES services - they were giving it away and only got like 3 million takers. So even if they could stabilize their userbase, the profits are not going to warrant the all time high again.
    03-02-15 09:54 AM
    Yet.

Classically Posted.
    03-02-15 05:15 PM
    Well, back when BBRY hit that high, BlackBerry devices had some ridiculously high percentage of smartphone market share, they were generating billions in revenue every quarter, and had a market cap over $80 billion.

Right now, revenue has been in free fall for 5 or 6 consecutive quarters, and market cap is, what? $5 billion? They're sitting around 0.4% market share, and the stock is trading around $7 to $10.

I think BlackBerry needs to level out their falling revenue and try and get back to break-even at least, long before thinking about a return to serious unadjusted profitability... Those challenges are large enough, but you're talking about increasing market cap and share price roughly 15X...? Could it happen? I mean, anything is possible... but I wouldn't hold my breath...
    They are trading at 11-13.87... not 7-10

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:26 PM
    Its really not very complicated....they just need to sell some product.
    03-02-15 08:05 PM
    Anything is possible. $150 can be achieved, but will take time and hard work.

Posted by Q5
    techvisor likes this.
    03-02-15 09:36 PM
    Anything is possible. $150 can be achieved, but will take time and hard work.
    And making the right decisions, including spending huge amounts of money on marketing.
    03-03-15 07:40 AM
    Will never happen.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:41 AM
    Not by selling phones or MDM software.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-03-15 07:50 AM
    I don't think bbry could reach that level unless the company became both smaller and more valuable than seems imaginable right now... but that would be pretty great.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:12 AM
    Blackberry does not have the fundamentals even to justify its current valuation, which is based on heavy speculation of future earnings/revenue. The share value is not in any significant upward trajectory to predict such share value gains. Furthermore, even when Blackberry was $150 it was overpriced, part of a volatile, irrational bull market, and had a sudden abrupt plummet in value.

That Blackberry will surpass its all time high of 150 at this time is inconceivable. Blackberry will first need to show more fundamental improvement such as growing revenue and profits.
    jmr1015 and techvisor like this.
    03-03-15 08:23 AM
    Of course it's not valued properly...its undervalued. 75% of all shares purchased in the last six months are FUNDS...are they all wrong too??

If BlackBerry becomes the dominent handler of all things secure in the IoT over the next decade and manages to get a few of these trial ballons to float (recent announcements) then why not? Is AAPL really worth their current valuation...of course not.

Laughable some are so pessimistic.
    370HSSV-0773H

Classically Posted.
    zyben, BACK-2-BLACK and 95aero like this.
    03-03-15 08:33 AM
    Is AAPL really worth their current valuation...of course not.
    By conventional non-speculative, fundamental standards such as P/E, AAPL is easily worth its current valuation. By non-speculative, fundamental standards, Blackberry is indeed overvalued. Speculatively or by personal unconventional standards it may be undervalued.

(Unless you're asserting AAPL is worth more? Which, speculating, is possibly the case given that it is not currently valuated as a growth stock despite a consistent record of historical growth.)

If you are indeed asserting that AAPL is fundamentally overvalued, this is literally the worse stock advice I've ever read on the internet and I read Reddit where kids often think after a stock split their share holdings have halved in value. I worry about the quality of investing information disseminated on these forums.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-03-15 at 09:03 AM.
    03-03-15 08:44 AM
    Wrong again...who decided what PE quotient determines value?? Traders...playing with other people's money.

Classically Posted.
    03-03-15 08:51 AM
    Wrong again...who decided what PE quotient determines value?? Traders...playing with other people's money.

Classically Posted.
    Where do you get this information?

Traders do not refer to P/E ratio at all. P/E ratio has little effect on the value of shares in the short, intermediate, or even year+ term. Hence, BBRY shares are not worth nothing despite having a negative P/E ratio. Correlation between share value and P/E ratio does not really show until ~10 years, a period of time completely irrelevant to traders. P/E ratio is a core tenet of value investing.

Warren Buffett, a revered value investor, is actually a staunch champion of the P/E ratio. (For a guy so often quoted on "I support..." thread you should know this.) He has been quoted as saying that among the talented fund managers he has overseen, there have been many different investment strategies; however, the one common trait they share is a tendency to invest in companies with low P/E ratios. The reasoning behind this is that while companies with low P/E ratios are not more likely to rally, their values are less likely to plummet in the event of a stock market panic.

There exist alternatives to P/E ratio such as the Price to Free-Cash-Flow, or P/FCF, ratio; but, the trend between the ratios ultimately converge in the long term. A company that is losing cash can't manipulate its balance sheet forever. Neither should you expect a company posting losses to continue bringing in cash. Ultimately, the two show pretty close to the same thing except P/FCF is more prone to volatility and P/E is more prone to short to intermediate term manipulation.

As for why P/E ratio determines the value of a company (at least fundamentally), it makes sense that a company should be valuated by how much money it makes. There are other factors that affect share value like revenue; but, those are speculative and all lead back to how much a company will earn now or in the future.

I believe many BBRY investors may benefit from reading r/Investing:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/investing

The users there are young, inexperienced, and have a strong bias toward value investing championing index funds, ETFs, and John Bogle; but, their strategies are low risk, proven to grow wealth in the long term, and make a nice contrast to the "I Support..." thread which supports highly risky, ultra speculative investing like in biotech companies. Many BBRY posters could learn a thing or two on there about risk management on there.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-03-15 at 02:24 PM.
    03-03-15 02:13 PM
    Good advise for a balanced portfolio. But to state BlackBerry is worth "nothing" when they have 3 billion in cash, over 45K patents (more than AAPL) a leadership position in connected cars and a solid position in device security is laughable. I'm simply pointing out the obvious ...not giving advice.

Classically Posted.
    03-04-15 05:08 AM
    The prospect of BBRY returning to a $150 valuation (assuming no buybacks to support that) is verrry far into the future, and many new ventures must become extremely profitable.

BES would need to solidify better than 50-60% market share

Devices would need to be generating significant revenue, and the company would likely need 5-10% market share

QNX would have to solidify it's presence in cars and IOT, and generate over $1B in revenue

Other investments in the medical field would have to gain a strong foothold in the market and start generating significant revenue.

All of these are distinct possibilities, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot of uncertainty in all areas of BlackBerry's business, only time will tell. Could it reach these levels again if everything goes according to plan? Maybe in the 5-10 year horizon, but don't expect it in the next 3 years

BB for Life
    03-06-15 02:46 PM
61 123