I'd like to say yes, but we'll have to see the revenue generated from BES12 and QNX first. QNX alone has the potential to drive the price there alone, but it's still not clear to me how they're monetizing it, and whether that model will change as the IOT develops and grows.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! 
    03-08-15 09:22 PM
    Will never happen.

Posted via CB10
    Lol
    That's what they said about Google, Apple, etc., will never happen. BlackBerry is going to $100+ in 3 years IMO.
    With all 4 of its divisions running full till.
    - Enterprise
    - BB10 Devices
    - QNX
    - BBM

Posted by Q5
    03-10-15 01:13 PM
    They are trading at 11-13.87... not 7-10

Posted via CB10
    $11 to $13? Over the past three months, they've been trading between $9.50 and $11... With one momentary spike over $12.50 on false Samsung news.

Over the past 52 weeks, they've traded between $7.01 and $12.

Unless you're talking Canadian dollars, your numbers are way high.
    03-23-15 03:26 PM
    Lol
    That's what they said about Google, Apple, etc., will never happen. BlackBerry is going to $100+ in 3 years IMO.
    - Enterprise
    - BB10 Devices
    - QNX
    - BBM

Posted by Q5

What big changes at BlackBerry do you think are coming that you think the stock price will rise 1150% in three years?

Also when is the last stock that you have known of that has risen that high in that time period without some major revolution?

Also I'm pretty sure no one ever said any of those things about the companies you listed.
    JeepBB, sentimentGX4 and Eumaeus like this.
    03-30-15 10:28 AM
    Lol
    - Enterprise
    - BB10 Devices
    - QNX
    - BBM

Posted by Q5
    Still thinking that....
    07-21-15 01:47 PM
    Sure...why not pull up some of the two year-old posts that say BlackBerry will be dead...better yet, pull up the three and four year old posts stating that "death is only months away"...lets see if they still feel the same way?? You were one of them...how do you feel, still the same???

Classically Posted.
    La Emperor likes this.
    07-21-15 05:46 PM
    Sure...why not pull up some of the two year-old posts that say BlackBerry will be dead...better yet, pull up the three and four year old posts stating that "death is only months away"...lets see if they still feel the same way?? You were one of them...how do you feel, still the same???

Classically Posted.

I just pointing out how ONLY FOUR months ago things were very different. But I'll admit that in four more months things "could" flip back around in their favor... In fact I'd be surprised if they don't pop back up to $10 or $12 a share in a few months. (so might be a good short term play, for those getting in now and can afford the risk)

I feel pretty good, as I don't remember ever saying their death was only months away... just that BBRY was not a good long term investment in my inexperienced view (back when they were still $18). I do know that the game isn't over for them, as that they are working on all sorts of "projects". But I think you have to look at a companies past record to judge where they are going. Sure Chen and much of the executives are new, but the real brains of a tech company are the "creative" people.... something that BlackBerry has been lacking all along.

But I'm here for the PHONES, and that I is pretty much finished. Even if they keep putting out a devices with the BlackBerry name on it, I doubt many here will even continue to buy them.
    07-22-15 12:02 PM

Classically Posted.
    Well the Blackberry or RIM of three and four years ago is effectively dead. BB10 is going nowhere and development is almost non existent. Device sales are laughable for a "tech company" and I think fitness bands have outsold BB10 phones as of late. Blackberry has slashed it's workforce and sold most of it's real property assets. They admittedly are out of the consumer and prosumer (cough cough) market and now a software company. The company bears little resemblance to three or four years ago, so much so the death predictions are not that far off. If not for reliance on android, BB10 would be a thing of the past and likely isnt' long to draw breath into the future.

Software is clearly the way to go for survival but it wasn't the direction they were headed three or four years ago.....so yes I would have to agree that BB of three or four years ago is essentially dead.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-22-15 12:52 PM
    I can hardly stand the myriad rays of sunshine reflected by some long-winded individuals in this thread.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-22-15 03:44 PM
    Hyperbole?? '"kinda sorta" dead don't count here...the company has banked money every quarter for over a year and a half .
    I love my Passport...love my Classic more (for an every day work device) so the "device is dead" doesn't fly either. How many devices did Sony sell last quarter? LG?? ( I mean comparing similar devices)
    IMHA BB10 is leaps and bounds the best OS available in mobile....and I've received a minimum of three updates a year to the OS since BB10 has launched...far more that the competition has offered.

Negative "company is dead" "company is dying" + "hardware is dead" posts are inaccurate, misleading and for the most part lies., spread by haters, shills or folks with way too much spare time imo.

Classically Posted.
    07-22-15 04:35 PM
    How many devices did Sony sell last quarter? LG?? ( I mean comparing similar devices)
    Sony sold roughly seven times as many phones as BlackBerry did last quarter - BlackBerry sold 1.1 million, Sony sold a little less than 8 million. That 1.1 million devices sold includes BBOS too, which will continue to diminish - remove BBOS, and you're left with a little less than 900,000 BB10 sales.

Sony expects sales to continue falling, but are still forecasting 30 million devices for next fiscal year. At their current rate, BlackBerry will be lucky to shift more than 5 million devices in the same time period.

LG sold around 15 million devices last quarter and made a profit while they were at it. Other brands that outsold BlackBerry include Alcatel OneTouch, Asus, Huawei, Lenovo, Micromax, Microsoft Lumia, Xiaomi, and ZTE.

BlackBerry's device sales aren't just bad, they're utterly dismal. Now, I won't say BlackBerry as a phone manufacturer is dead - tech is an unpredictable world, and with rumours of an Android device coming there might even be a chance things will turn around. But the devices division is definitely on the Grim Reaper's doorstep.
    07-22-15 06:22 PM
    Sony sold roughly seven times as many phones as BlackBerry did last quarter - BlackBerry sold 1.1 million, Sony sold a little less than 8 million. That 1.1 million devices sold includes BBOS too, which will continue to diminish - remove BBOS, and you're left with a little less than 900,000 BB10 sales.

Sony expects sales to continue falling, but are still forecasting 30 million devices for next fiscal year. At their current rate, BlackBerry will be lucky to shift more than 5 million devices in the same time period.

LG sold around 15 million devices last quarter and made a profit while they were at it. Other brands that outsold BlackBerry include Alcatel OneTouch, Asus, Huawei, Lenovo, Micromax, Microsoft Lumia, Xiaomi, and ZTE.

I did say comparable devices, not every cheap unit they sell...and Sony lost a fortune too:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/11/25/sonys-...14-whats-next/

I agree sales are less than acceptable.

Classically Posted.
    07-22-15 06:40 PM
    I did say comparable devices, not every cheap unit they sell...and Sony lost a fortune too:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/11/25/sonys-...14-whats-next/

I agree sales are less than acceptable.

Classically Posted.
    Considering the enormous sales gap, I can all but guarantee you that Sony (and most of the other manufacturers listed) did better in terms of comparable devices as well. Manufacturers don't typically provide breakdowns, but keep in mind that BlackBerry's 1.1 million units are split between a variety of market segments too - you have the Passport on the high-end, the Classic in the middle, the Leap in the (somewhat) low-end, as well as BBOS and Heins era devices that are probably selling at heavily-discounted prices in the low-to-mid-ranges.

But yes, Sony did lose a fortune, despite selling many more devices. Just goes to show the kind of challenges facing BlackBerry if they want to survive in this industry.
    07-22-15 06:53 PM
    Considering the enormous sales gap, I can all but guarantee you that Sony (and most of the other manufacturers listed) did better in terms of comparable devices as well. Manufacturers don't typically provide breakdowns, but keep in mind that BlackBerry's 1.1 million units are split between a variety of market segments too - you have the Passport on the high-end, the Classic in the middle, the Leap in the (somewhat) low-end, as well as BBOS and Heins era devices that are probably selling at heavily-discounted prices in the low-to-mid-ranges.

But yes, Sony did lose a fortune, despite selling many more devices. Just goes to show the kind of challenges facing BlackBerry if they want to survive in this industry.
    Which (given all the "other" challenges a turn around company faces ) is an exceptional result (Imo)..."profitable" and "surviving" is huge (considering the toxic environment they face).

Classically Posted.
    07-22-15 07:01 PM
    Which (given all the "other" challenges a turn around company faces ) is an exceptional result (Imo)..."profitable" and "surviving" is huge (considering the toxic environment they face).

Classically Posted.
    Is the devices division profitable, however? BlackBerry doesn't appear to release enough information to know for certain, but there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that's the case. Chen hasn't said anything since claiming that the company needs 10 million devices a year for that division to profit. We heard at some point that the gross margin on devices was positive, but that's still not the same as being profitable.

The company on the whole is profitable, but with 60% of revenue coming from higher-margin sources like software and services, hardware doesn't have to be a part of that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence thus far. It'd certainly be surprising if they made a profit on such a small number of devices.
    07-22-15 07:30 PM
    Don't have time to search for the links but Chen has stated several times device "losses" have ended. He has also stated many times that BlackBerry is an end to end security company and devices are part of that solution. And..."devices aren't going anywhere".

The reason APPL shares tanked today is the lack of concise info concerning sagement breakdowns of sales...all company's do it.

Classically Posted.
    07-22-15 07:51 PM
    Don't have time to search for the links but Chen has stated several times device "losses" have ended. He has also stated many times that BlackBerry is an end to end security company and devices are part of that solution. And..."devices aren't going anywhere".

The reason APPL shares tanked today is the lack of concise info concerning sagement breakdowns of sales...all company's do it.

Classically Posted.
    Hm, that's the first I've heard of him saying that device losses have ended, but I'll keep an eye out. And yes, I know that a lack of concise info is common practice. It's just that when I couldn't find any statements from Chen, I resorted to the financial statements - to no avail.
    07-22-15 07:56 PM
    Hm, that's the first I've heard of him saying that device losses have ended, but I'll keep an eye out. And yes, I know that a lack of concise info is common practice. It's just that when I couldn't find any statements from Chen, I resorted to the financial statements - to no avail.
    Yes...was from an interview he did...I'll do some looking for the link.

I was going to short APPL yesterday too, but decided against it (fear and common sense) ...always go with your gut I suppose.

Classically Posted.
    07-22-15 08:08 PM
    Is the devices division profitable, however? BlackBerry doesn't appear to release enough information to know for certain, but there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that's the case. Chen hasn't said anything since claiming that the company needs 10 million devices a year for that division to profit. We heard at some point that the gross margin on devices was positive, but that's still not the same as being profitable.

The company on the whole is profitable, but with 60% of revenue coming from higher-margin sources like software and services, hardware doesn't have to be a part of that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence thus far. It'd certainly be surprising if they made a profit on such a small number of devices.
    My "speculation" (and strong opinion) is that the device sales must be CLOSE ENOUGH to profitable on their own, that it makes them profitable for them company as a whole.
    You wouldn't want to cut off your nose to spite your face...
    BlackBerry isn't dumb. For sure they aren't up there with Google when it comes to data mining but I am absolutely sure that they still collect data from their users where they are able to. If they see that they are selling 180 percent more software (anything: BBM subscriptions, BBM Meetings, heck - even stickers! ) to BlackBerry users compared to other platforms, then their device sales (however few they may be) are still driving their software sales and helping to maintain profitability.
    07-22-15 08:38 PM
    I think the hardware division is already gone....

Chen is turning everything over to the 3rd party builders now, other than distribution and OS development... and if rumors are true the OS development is being outsourced also. So it might be very possible for them to only sell 2 million units a year and still see profits from this division. Very possible that they'll be making hardware for years this way... But I doubt many of us will be impress with the hardware (specs or quality) or the pricing that this way of doing "business" will result in.

But that is ALL just speculation. What is a FACT is that every quarter they are becoming a smaller and smaller company, which takes the STOCK further and further away from $150.
    07-23-15 07:59 AM
    Where does the crappy build and spec rhetoric come from?? Any links? Papers? Anything...anything at all?? Have you seen the rumored specs for the slider? Have to compared a Z3 or Leap build quality with an iPhone6? These are BlackBerry 's LOW END devices and they are manufactured and designed from "outsource". ..great quality, feel great in the hand...iPhone 6 feels cheap, flimsy and bends way to easy. That's a fact.

Classically Posted.
    07-23-15 09:47 AM
    Where does the crappy build and spec rhetoric come from?? Any links? Papers? Anything...anything at all?? Have you seen the rumored specs for the slider? Have to compared a Z3 or Leap build quality with an iPhone6? These are BlackBerry 's LOW END devices and they are manufactured and designed from "outsource". ..great quality, feel great in the hand...iPhone 6 feels cheap, flimsy and bends way to easy. That's a fact.

Classically Posted.
    Are you just ranting or did you post in the wrong thread? Not sure where the Z3 - iPhone comparison came into the conversation, or the crappy build quality.

Anyway... at this point all devices will be designed and manufactured from "outsourced" manufactures. Before BlackBerry did the design work, but they have given up even on that. But I don't think that should really affect build quality, now specs is another matter. Cost will be higher for BlackBerry than Samsung (manufactures some components and the final product) or even HTC (assembles parts) type OEMS.

You want papers or links.... just look at the Z3 specs and pricing, just look at the Classic specs and pricing, just look at the LEAP specs and pricing. Why are all of these devices overpriced for the hardware that is being used? Because BlackBerry's cost are higher due to their lower volume purchasing power and their need to "outsource". These guys aren't doing all the design work, financing, inventory control and manufacturing without making a profit on this hardware. And one of the biggest issue I think this process has created is they are controlling production and they are forcing BlackBerry to roll out these devices very slowly. The Slider might get release in December... but it could be four or five months before some markets get it (still waiting to see if the US is getting the LEAP anywhere).

But as to cheap... I have a plastic white snap together Z10 that feels nothing like my wife's premium iPhone 6. So instead of a "fact", I guess it is just a matter what materials the designer decides to choose.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-23-15 10:35 AM
    Z10 is a poor example, that's why I didn't use it...Leap, Z3, Z30, Passport and Classic are all superior in build quality to the iPhone6...I paid 349 CAN dollars for both my Classics...unlocked, Leap and Z3 can be had for less. You can grab a Z30 for Under 300 CAN$...which is a fantastic deal. Bought three Passports too...those where over 5 each if memory serves. Each of them great devices, each person using them loves it.

The argument that BlackBerry should just leave devices because they are over priced or of poor quality if a blatant lie and FUD imo...hence the reply, re-reply and re-re-re-reply...and I will continue to reply and dispelling that myth every time I see it.

Thx

Classically Posted.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-23-15 04:55 PM
    Well the Blackberry or RIM of three and four years ago is effectively dead. BB10 is going nowhere and development is almost non existent. Device sales are laughable for a "tech company" and I think fitness bands have outsold BB10 phones as of late. Blackberry has slashed it's workforce and sold most of it's real property assets. They admittedly are out of the consumer and prosumer (cough cough) market and now a software company. The company bears little resemblance to three or four years ago, so much so the death predictions are not that far off. If not for reliance on android, BB10 would be a thing of the past and likely isnt' long to draw breath into the future.

Software is clearly the way to go for survival but it wasn't the direction they were headed three or four years ago.....so yes I would have to agree that BB of three or four years ago is essentially dead.
    Yup...

For all intents and purposes BlackBerry as we knew it IS dead now.

Most of us are here for the phones. And they are gone now... with nothing on the horizon but a Chendroid.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 05:27 PM

Classically Posted.
    Wrong.

The reason AAPL tanked was related almost entirely to China...

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 05:29 PM
61 123