I think a fair number of those shorting this stock assume that BlackBerry is simply going to go the way of Palm. Here are a few stats to arm yourself with if you hear that argument and would like to provide a rebuttal:

-Palm installed user base ... negligible. BlackBerry user base ... ~80M
    -Palm cash net of debt at the time it was acquired by HP (HPQ) - $200M. BlackBerry cash (no debt) as of December 2012 - $2.9B
    -Palm unit sales in the quarter prior to being sold (AFTER launching its company saving product) - 960,000 units. BlackBerry unit sales in the quarter ended December 2012 - 6.9M units (BEFORE launching its company saving product).
    -Palm operating cash flow in the 9 months prior to being sold - Negative. BlackBerry operating cash in the quarter ended December 2012 - $2.0B (while restructuring, developing a completely new phone and operating system, and selling completely outdated products)
    This entire point could really go on and on. But to sum it all up, you have a company that is essentially failing and will go out of business within 12 months in Palm. That company is bought for about $1.4B because of their supposed assets (not of the tangible nature either). The question this leads to is do you really think BlackBerry at the market cap it has today is not worth about 5 times Palm was when it was sold?
    BlackBerry - Balance Sheet And Future Cash Flows Should Stop You From Shorting - Seeking Alpha
    03-13-13 11:31 PM
    I don't think this needs to be restated again and again. This topic has been beaten like a dead horse so many times now. Anyone comparing BBRY to Palm does not know what they are talking about. It REALLY is as simple as that.

The above points are crucial in understanding the difference, but here is another big difference (even though I mentioned we shouldn't discuss this, I can't resist it):

BBRY has relations will over 600 carriers and it's launching BB10 with over 200 carriers. Palm just launched with Sprint.
    sonbuster and G-bone like this.
    03-13-13 11:36 PM
    I guess the point is, these short holders are plane stupid!
    03-15-13 07:22 AM
    I guess the point is, these short holders are plane stupid!
    Careful about making statements like that. It can make you look plain silly!
    03-15-13 08:58 AM
    Careful about making statements like that. It can make you look plain silly!
    Good catch!
    03-15-13 11:28 AM
    I don't think this needs to be restated again and again. This topic has been beaten like a dead horse so many times now. Anyone comparing BBRY to Palm does not know what they are talking about. It REALLY is as simple as that.

The above points are crucial in understanding the difference, but here is another big difference (even though I mentioned we shouldn't discuss this, I can't resist it):

BBRY has relations will over 600 carriers and it's launching BB10 with over 200 carriers. Palm just launched with Sprint.
    Those are details.
    The bottom line is that the handset only manufacturer is not a profitable (sustainable) business.
    Name one handset only maker that is thriving.
    03-15-13 11:37 AM
    Those are details.
    The bottom line is that the handset only manufacturer is not a profitable (sustainable) business.
    Name one handset only maker that is thriving.
    Did you think that BBRY is a handset-only manufacturer? You'd be mistaken...
    or maybe I'm misreading (seems possible) and you meant Palm as the handset-only mfg?

That aside, I haven't heard anyone legitimately making the Palm comparison since the last ER.
    03-15-13 02:41 PM
    Palm made every mistake in the book pretty much while Blackberry has avoided every one of these mistakes.

- No touch only device (slider is a niche market)
    - Originally tied to one carrier Sprint (3rd place provider losing market)
    - Hardware quality issues (slider design had a lot to do with this)
    - Worked on making the Veer instead of a touch only device (very niche product)
    - OS while innovative had fluidity issues (shuttering/framerate)
    - Silly names (Pre, Pixi, Veer)

This doesn't even take into account the cash position or that QNX is just a much better core system.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 03-15-13 at 03:26 PM.
    03-15-13 02:47 PM
    Did you think that BBRY is a handset-only manufacturer? You'd be mistaken...
    or maybe I'm misreading (seems possible) and you meant Palm as the handset-only mfg?
    What else does BlackBerry make?

Services does not count.
    03-15-13 06:05 PM
    They own QNX which is pretty big in the upcoming machine to machine era and is the largest OS in all the world relevant to automobiles, robots (manufacturering) and petroleum / refining infrastructure. Not to mention their patent portfolio.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 06:18 PM
    BES w/ multi platform support
    BB10
    QNX
    Services do count, why would you exclude them?

BBRY is not going to remain as a phone manufacturer for many more years. This will become secondary if they don't divest themselves of it entirely.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:30 PM
    Palm concentrate in US on sprint. No international focus. Ex apple CEO. Low quality products - cheap black plasticky oreo slider (after old Palm OS devices which built like a tank)

Like Nokia with Elop..see how nokia get caught in Wphone game, and now having doubt over it.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:55 PM
    why even start a thread about Palm?
    lets leave that for the naysayers, come on people
    03-15-13 08:02 PM
    why even start a thread about Palm?
    lets leave that for the naysayers, come on people
    Why not talk about something? Who's the naysayer now?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 10:15 PM