08-13-13 11:38 PM
97 1234
tools
    THIS will be the focus of COUNTLESS MBA and other business courses for about the next 50 years: HOW RIM and BBRY absolutely and completely EFFED things up in every conceivable way.

Successful pioneers in just about every field are prone to a myopia and arrogance that clouds their vision and impairs their judgement. Nothing different here; from its 12 year long meteoric rise (1997-2009), RIM (a.k.a. BBRY) the leadership and management at the company has NEVER missed an opportunity to miss opportunities while also effectively shooting itself in the foot.

I've attended RIM/BBRY's AGMs now for well over 10 years (with a few exceptions), and can state that you could smell, even taste, the arrogance among its management team to the point of being despicable. Most, if not all, those people have "probably" moved on by now, but even at this year's AGM it was apparent that not enough humble pie had been served up in the halls on Philip Street and University Avenue E.

Between looking completely inward, wilfully ignoring other industry players and emerging outside technologies, and ALL the other distractions taking over at the highest levels (Lazaridis building a mega-mansion house AND cottage while believing that "HIS" technology was the only viable one on the planet, Balsillie chasing hockey dreams and teams while also taking the divorce route in his private life, etc.), they missed the boat on a shift in the new-millennium paradigm: NO LONGER that people needed to communicate by eMail alone with the most efficient, secure & utilitatian technology on the planet, BUT RATHER that they wanted a "COOL factor" to service their EVERY info-tainment desire under the sun.

Add to that that various technology hiccups caused IMMENSE customer dissatisfaction among its emerging consumer group - crucial BIS network outages, device unreliability, cross-platform incompatability, poor desktop integration, completely effing-up the touch-screen evolution, etc., etc.,

More-so, from the beginning RIM existed as a "leading technology creator serving up technology applications" whereas - for example- Apple is purely a "lifestyle and task enabler using advanced technologies."

It's a subtle difference, I know, but it comes down to "here's a new technology (device) that'll let you do something new" vs. "to live/work better and be more 'cool,' here's a new, better way using our technology/device."

Still, consumers are the ones who decide what works best for them. Even in the other Apple-dominated areas, equally big competitors (computers, portable music players, etc.) have felt the impact of that paradigm difference.

Now, until BBRY figures out that MARKETING is the key to success in that game, it won't matter how good, reliable or even advanced their devices & solutions are.

ONLY when their target consumers "GET" the right message they are interested in and that pertains to THEM will they become potential buyers. BBRY is STILL missing that boat, and every effort I've made to 'get on the ship' in order to right it has been met with resistance at every step. Ergo, we have what's going on here today: Failure to communicate.

Just my 2 cents worth from out penny-less country.

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    08-13-13 03:47 PM
    I think they underestimated how bad public sentiment was /is towards bbry. A few more apps couldn't hurt. But apps would have came with sales. There is nothing really wrong with the devices.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing wrong with the product? RIM diluted the concept with the Q10 where is the ergonomic, quick and responsive (optical9 trackball, where is the button to get out of the applications and the menu button? Now we have an awful finger on Display rubbing experience. This Product is terrible. Let alone the fact that RIM not even managed to get Viber making its app available for OS 10. I giving the Q10 back and will stop using a smartphone when my bold 9900 will fall apart.
    08-13-13 03:47 PM
    They didnt clean house when the 2 co CEO's left. A new broom sweeps clean , instead they used the broom that was down the hall....
    That being said the BB 10 os is good , but the launch and everything that went with it wasnt so good.
    The bugs that came with the new system should have been cleaned up before launch day and maybe the 10.2 update should have been the released system.
    First impressions are everything and you dont get a second chance at a first impression. And the reboots didnt make a good first impression in the publics eye especially in the all important US..
    my 2 cents worth
    08-13-13 03:49 PM
    Marketing marketing marketing. The ads are bland, trying to spoon feed you the features without telling you anything about their benefits. Not enough billboard and Internet ads and commercials. Failed to display the device as fun. And oddly seemed to totally forget to show off some of its coolest features (remote access, the fantastic text formatting tools in email; they better come out with a whole campaign showing off the amazing NFC tools in 10.2).

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    08-13-13 03:59 PM
    It seems like Thorsten Heins had the perfect strategy on paper:

1. Release Z10 with BB10 - Stop the bleeding to other popular touch screen smartphones, show that BB can make a mainstream touch screen device, basically keep BB relevant
    2. Release Q10 next - Knowing that hard core BB keyboard users will hang on longer, it made sense to release the Q10 after the Z10
    3. Next launch the Q5 - After two high end devices, it was time to address the prepaid/lower end market in emerging economies in Asia with the lower speced Q5.
    4. Next big launch - Z30/A10 - After about a year, it is time to show off a new phablet form factor device to round off the portfolio.

It was a great plan. What went wrong?
    Looking back, things went pear shaped long before Heins' current strategy.

• Jim chasing NHL team when BB had more than a fighting chance in the smartphone wars
    • Releasing middling hardware for the z10
    • Mike ignoring market trends (Camera, Apps, Touchscreen)
    • Not actively engaging developers
    • Releasing more BB7 devices!

I could go on but I'd just get more angry. Sticking with z10 until 10.2 then it's time to look around. Hello Android...
    08-13-13 04:00 PM
    Lack of big name apps.

No amount of marketing, super specs, price cuts or superior OS will make up for that lack in the broader marketplace. The first question a shopper probably asks is, "Does it have Instagram (etc.)?" When told no, they just move on. No desire to hear anything more.

What could they have done? Instead of spending all that money on "port-a-thons" to artificially inflate the app store count, they should have spent every last penny hiring/encouraging/influencing companies and developers to give BB10 the top 100 apps people actually use.

And maybe then people could get past that first "Does it have...?" question and see how BB10 shines.
    ranzabar, mset and mjdimer like this.
    08-13-13 04:01 PM
    Looking back, things went pear shaped long before Heins' current strategy.

• Jim chasing NHL team when BB had more than a fighting chance in the smartphone wars
    • Releasing middling hardware for the z10
    • Mike ignoring market trends (Camera, Apps, Touchscreen)
    • Not actively engaging developers
    • Releasing more BB7 devices!

I could go on but I'd just get more angry. Sticking with z10 until 10.2 then it's time to look around. Hello Android...
    You nailed it!
    08-13-13 04:04 PM
    Lack of big name apps.

No amount of marketing, super specs, price cuts or superior OS will make up for that lack in the broader marketplace. The first question a shopper probably asks is, "Does it have Instagram (etc.)?" When told no, they just move on. No desire to hear anything more.

What could they have done? Instead of spending all that money on "port-a-thons" to artificially inflate the app store count, they should have spent every last penny hiring/encouraging/influencing companies and developers to give BB10 the top 100 apps people actually use.

And maybe then people could get past that first "Does it have...?" question and see how BB10 shines.
    Exactly
    08-13-13 04:10 PM
    Yep, years ago.....when Jim kept fighting for that NHL team....
    08-13-13 04:13 PM
    I agree with your road map assesment but, I think you are way off the mark with QNX. Android would have completely crippled the company as then they would loose the enterprise market.

How would using android lower hardware requirements? It would actually raise them as it takes quad core android phones to get the same performance apple and BB get out of duel core phones.
    They could have take Android as a foundation with app support, hardware support, up to date interface, etc. Then they could have built a secure front end to it with BB interface enhancements and staples. Then put BBM on it. They would have avoided building a lot of foundational stuff. It might have been faster. Android can be highly modified and customized. Look at the Kindle.
    08-13-13 04:13 PM
    They could have take Android as a foundation with app support, hardware support, up to date interface, etc. Then they could have built a secure front end to it with BB interface enhancements and staples. Then put BBM on it. They would have avoided building a lot of foundational stuff. It might have been faster. Android can be highly modified and customized. Look at the Kindle.
    Agree. Three years was a long time to spend on BB10 development. And you have to believe that there was some kind of R&D going on even before they bought QNX. Did they really believe that BBOS could compete even after iOS and Android had been out for a couple of years?
    08-13-13 04:30 PM
    Agree. Three years was a long time to spend on BB10 development. And you have to believe that there was some kind of R&D going on even before they bought QNX. Did they really believe that BBOS could compete even after iOS and Android had been out for a couple of years?
    Sadly, they did think BBOS could compete....
    08-13-13 04:38 PM
    Marketing, everyone thinks blackberry OS still needs battery pulls or hangs; even myself, but I tend to read reviews and also a tech fan, but the average customer is not.
    08-13-13 04:38 PM
    Blackberry's advertising and marketing is a disaster. instead of spending all that money and hiring those banks and investment companies to figure out where to go next, they should have invested in marketing and hire a kick *** advertising firm, and also in apps development. for example 60% of cars in today's market use QNX. I don't see any apps for them. A lot of people now a days when they buy a car, they research and see what phone works best or which one has the apps and so on, and a lot of them are blackberry users ( non BB10 ). Now if there are apps available, they have a reason to research the new BB10 phones, and see how awesome the browser is and how amazing the Hub concept is...and there is a very good chance that they will stay with blackberry. Right now, they have no clue as to how different the BB10 is from previous gen blackberry. Just my 2 cents.....
    08-13-13 04:44 PM
    Where did they go wrong? Right at the top. That's where things went pear shaped. Lack of direction, lack of leadership, no strategic vision, no appreciation of the competitors, and most importantly, a dissociation with the customers and the market. And, the culprits now enjoy a cosy retirement. Too many cases like this worldwide, where no accountability is present.
    08-13-13 04:46 PM
    they slept on a pillow full with money while Jobs owned the whole bed
    08-13-13 04:51 PM
    Because they told everyone BB7 would be amazing, Then it wasn't.. then everyone left BlackBerry.. Now everyone is stuck in "BlackBerry is S**t mode" and won't come back

Think how many people bought BB7 phones? So imagine if bb10 would of launched when BB7 did, In it's place

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you about BB7. Releasing the Bold 9900 series with a lousy camera, horrible battery life, and lack of apps created a lot of negative views about BlackBerry. Personally, I hung in there with BlackBerry and was looking forward to the BB7 Bold, but there were too many flaws in the phone.
    Craig Abernethy likes this.
    08-13-13 04:58 PM
    This is correct. The company was lost when the prior co-CEOs did virtually nothing for 3+ years when it was clear to everyone outside of Waterloo that the iPhone represented a sea change in the smartphone industry. By the time RIM finally acknowledged that they were on the wrong path, they were already on a rocketship hurtling towards the ground. IMO, blaming this on TH is a mistake. As someone else put it rather well, it's like being a captain dropped on the control deck of the Titanic an hour after it struck the iceberg. No amount of commands to the engine room were going to stop it from sinking; the damage was already done by the previous captain.
    It wasn't just the people within the RIM..... There was also this......

We believe there is enough evidence to suggest Apple will launch such a device. In our view, the appearance of the iPhone (or something like it) poses little risk to RIMs business.
    Chris Umiastowski, TD Securities, 12 December 2006

Complacency was their main error.
    08-13-13 04:58 PM
    I agree with you about BB7. Releasing the Bold 9900 series with a lousy camera, horrible battery life, and lack of apps created a lot of negative views about BlackBerry. Personally, I hung in there with BlackBerry and was looking forward to the BB7 Bold, but there were too many flaws in the phone.
    Exactly what I'm thinking :/

Don't get me wrong I love my Z10 but got to face the facts, I have 57 BBM contacts, 4 are BB10, Most of the rest are BB7, Sick of their phones, Sick of BlackBerry, Waiting to move to a new platform. No matter how much I tell them BB10 is different either..

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 05:01 PM
    Very poor execution and marketing of said strategy.
    My thoughts exactly. All great plans fail without proper execution.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 05:03 PM
    Marketing, everyone thinks blackberry OS still needs battery pulls or hangs; even myself, but I tend to read reviews and also a tech fan, but the average customer is not.
    I thought it still does need battery pull base on some advices here.
    08-13-13 05:08 PM
    +1

1) Marketing Marketing and again Marketing.
    In the Smartphone market if you are not successful in the US Market than you are most likely dead internationally. Except the Verizon Add, I have not seen any in the US.

2) Execution was slow BB was behind the Schedule by a full year.

3) APP gap still remain bigger then expected. Thousands of useful apps that can run on android run-time(even on 2.3.3) are not in the Blackberry World. In my opinion it is better to have android port then nothing. (My side-loaded list Flipboard, Speed Test, Russia Today, Viber, Youmail, Bestbuy, American Express, Chase, Discover, Capital One, Pinterest, A1+, Shazam, Instagram, IMDb, Pandora, Candy Crash, Expedia, Dropbox, Ubuntu Files, Cloud Cube Opera Mini (helps to save on data while in roaming)
    Alex Sunders must get fired IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!! get Kevin on that position and see how long will take him to convince these developers to program for Blackberry. This is kind of position where you need to have a heart and soul, not the degree from here and there and think about the thickness of your salary and bonuses.
    mjdimer likes this.
    08-13-13 05:17 PM
    The beginning of Blackberries major downfall was releasing the playbook with no native email. They should've never even gotten into the tablet business. If they had of just not gotten into the tablet business, the network blackout would've never even made news and blackberry would still be a stock worth above $50-75 per share or more and not be in this mess because BB10 would have not had such an anticipated fail rate inflating everyone's complaining about every little glitch that would otherwise be ignored.
    08-13-13 05:19 PM
    BTW... your point is also relevant when discussing why Microsoft's Surface is failing (failed). They were too late. Bottom line... if companies aren't drastically innovating tech... then releasing a competing product just isn't enough. Who cares?
    08-13-13 05:22 PM
    They didnt clean house when the 2 co CEO's left. A new broom sweeps clean , instead they used the broom that was down the hall....
    Don't agree.

Look at the departures of the old COO, old CIO, old CLO, old CTO, head of software etc.

My take on it is pure and simple: they were slow to innovate and slow to execute. They grew really, really fast (check the annual reports for employee counts) and couldn't manage the growth when a big competitor that's really lean and focused came in.

I don't buy for a second that they "ignored" the iPhone. In fact, I think that's an urban myth. But I do think they tried unsuccessfully to come up with a good response on a platform that was too old to do what was asked of it and they had a hard time letting go of that.

I don't buy for a second that they "ignored" apps. I think that's also an 'urban myth'. But I do think the platform they built wasn't conducive to apps and they had a hard time letting go of that platform.

They got saddled under their own weight and here we are.

I might be wrong, but I think it was hard for Mike and Jim to let go of the giant multi-billion dollar company they forged and the tech that forged it.
    08-13-13 05:32 PM
97 1234