Lack of big name apps.

No amount of marketing, super specs, price cuts or superior OS will make up for that lack in the broader marketplace. The first question a shopper probably asks is, "Does it have Instagram (etc.)?" When told no, they just move on. No desire to hear anything more.
    Yes, this was big. So many other reasons, most of which have been listed here. But all of them come down to one thing:

Lack of leadership.
    08-13-13 04:34 PM
    Was too late

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 04:35 PM
    No ecossystem. No apps, no services.

BB10 is like the google plus: Good but empty.
    R_from_Toronto and aniym like this.
    08-13-13 04:56 PM
    I think this type of thread brings in the haters....blackberry has done a lot right. Marketing the amazing platform they have. Is what they need to do to move forward.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    collinc93 likes this.
    08-13-13 04:56 PM
    They have visited this site too much and thought everything was fine and dandy like everyone suggest here..LOL
    kbz1960, R_from_Toronto and aniym like this.
    08-13-13 05:00 PM
    I might be wrong, but I think it was hard for Mike and Jim to let go of the giant multi-billion dollar company they forged and the tech that forged it.
    I can't imagine the ego you must have after doing something as huge as BlackBerry. I know I would. I think most people would.
    08-13-13 05:16 PM
    It seems like Thorsten Heins had the perfect strategy on paper:

1. Release Z10 with BB10 - Stop the bleeding to other popular touch screen smartphones, show that BB can make a mainstream touch screen device, basically keep BB relevant
    2. Release Q10 next - Knowing that hard core BB keyboard users will hang on longer, it made sense to release the Q10 after the Z10
    3. Next launch the Q5 - After two high end devices, it was time to address the prepaid/lower end market in emerging economies in Asia with the lower speced Q5.
    4. Next big launch - Z30/A10 - After about a year, it is time to show off a new phablet form factor device to round off the portfolio.

It was a great plan. What went wrong?
    What can you do with Android or iOS phone ?? almost everything because they have tons of apps. People/We like to download an app for everything and thats what people like you still dont understand. BlackBerry is not thinking that way, big mistake because thats what they need, what we need. I have the Z10 and if it wasnt for the gestures itd be bored. They are missing something besides apps...MARKETING!!!! GOOD MARKETING! INVEST MONEY WITH DEVS AND MARKETING!!! How the hell come that we can have the Most Named App today... INSTAGRAM because they dont even care of what people want. Everything is for Android and iOS in Tv Commercial..dont you see what still wrong yet? DAMN!
    08-13-13 05:27 PM
    Bvdf

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 05:35 PM
    Look in the forums at the endless stories of no marketing, no awareness of BB10, no carrier support, no checkup on carrier support by BlackBerry, no push by salespersons....and all the while, BB sat back and did NOTHING....
    08-13-13 05:35 PM
    BBRY made so many bad choices. The decision to use QNX as the base of BB10 and their roadmap for BB10 development are two foundations for their problem.

BB10 took too long to develop, the finished product had hardware requirements that were impractical for low end or even mid-tier devices, and the development costs appear high.

BB10 built on top of Android would have eliminated most of BBRY's current problems. Even an acquisition of WebOS could have significantly sped up and reduced issues in BB10 development. Or Linux? Why not use Linux as a foundation like Nokia, Samsung, Intel, and Canonical??
    long sucking of my teeth not worthy of answer,
    08-13-13 05:36 PM
    long sucking of my teeth not worthy of answer,
    Oh please, answer!
    08-13-13 05:39 PM
    Maybe I better go look at the news? This thread makes them dead already.
    08-13-13 05:41 PM
    The beginning of Blackberries major downfall was releasing the playbook with no native email. They should've never even gotten into the tablet business. If they had of just not gotten into the tablet business, the network blackout would've never even made news and blackberry would still be a stock worth above $50-75 per share or more and not be in this mess because BB10 would have not had such an anticipated fail rate inflating everyone's complaining about every little glitch that would otherwise be ignored.
    Absolutely not. By the time the Jokebook was released their phones were already several years behind. Blackberry's trip into the toilet bowl began back in the Storm days when they simply didn't realize the phones were going to get faster and better and smarter. Think back to the piece of junk first gen torch - which I have. Even if there were apps, this junket couldn't do anything. They figured the enterprise side would carry them forever.

To address the OP, the Q5's release in Canada is not smart, nor is it planned. It's a last gasp to get BB10 devices into anyone / someone's hands.
    08-13-13 05:55 PM
    The whole plan is good, but way too late. BB10 should have launched instead of the Storm (aka iphone killer...not). They have steady lost market share since launch of the first attempt at a touch screen

Posted from my amazing Z10
    Exactly!
    08-13-13 05:56 PM
    To address the OPEN, the Q5's release in Canada is not smart, nor is it planned. It's a last gasp to get BB10 devices into anyone / someone's hands.
    I was pretty sure Canada wasn't one of the emerging countries that the Q5 was developed for.
    08-13-13 05:57 PM
    I was pretty sure Canada wasn't one of the emerging countries that the Q5 was developed for.
    That's my point, anyone who believes launching the Q5 in Canada is anything more than desperation is nuts.
    08-13-13 05:58 PM
    I think RIM took too long to innovate and like apple and google have done. Now we have a phone market with iphones and android with a lot of momentum behind them and a newly emerging blackberry phones with no claim to fame in many eyes of people. I think a lot of consumers are blind by the fact they accept iphone and android (which are great phones, depends who you are of course) because "oh my friend has an android and I hear great things about it! I want one". Sure commercials can boost sales of a product but word of mouth is very effective marketing and people do it freely. Phones are a social device and group mentality of having a device being generally appraised among peers drives sales. As a middleschooler, I've talked to my friends and questioned them about their purchases and why they wanted it and none of them made an self informed comparison between other phones; they simply recycled fan boy facts.

But hey I could be wrong, I'm going to parooze the comments and look for others thoughts
    08-13-13 06:02 PM
    how to become irrelevant in 3 easy steps

1.wait 6 years after your competitor releases the iPhone to get your next Generation OS to market.
    2. release brand spanking new software with "average" handset designs. (no WOW I GOTTA HAVE IT!!! factor)
    3, fail to get virtually ANY popular apps written for your platform.

The third is the most important. In my opinion, Alec Saunders is the biggest FAIL in Waterloo. Thorsten is number two.
    08-13-13 06:08 PM
    WRONG ??
    Other than some very poor timing and delays.....WE'RE STILL HERE, AREN'T WE!!
    BB didn't buy into promoting a "toy" for those obsessed with being on a social network and considering sharing music, videos and pictures to be an accomplishment.
    BB didn't promote a "toy" that lets everyone and anyone know WHERE you're going, HOW you're getting there, WHAT you're listening to on the way there, WHEN you arrive there and WHY you went there in the first place. (... and then you complain about your privacy???)

To all you complainers: What were you thinking... buying into the new 10 OS in the first place?
    Remember when the Apple 2 did a swan dive? By all reports, the company was doomed!

Yesterdays news is irrelevant! This plan or that secret..... GET OVER IT!
    Companies are bought, sold and traded every day. (example)The Walt Disney Company owns and operates the ABC broadcast television network; cable television networks such as Disney Channel, ESPN, A+E Networks, LifeTime and ABC Family; publishing, merchandising, and theatre divisions; and owns and licenses 14 theme parks around the world. It also has a successful music division.
    IF BlackBerry merges, sells, is bought (what have you) by a company the can afford it, you can be sure it'll build it, not destroy it!

To all you Bashers and Whiners... STOP with all the negativity or do the rest of us the courtesy of putting yourselves out of your misery and go with something that'll make you happy!
    And, don't believe everything you read or hear (unless you heard it from Oprah or read it in The National Enquirer,of course.)
    By all accounts, from past articles and reports, (RIM) BlackBerry should have disappeared quite some time ago!

IT AIN'T OVER, TILL IT'S OVER!
    Where did BlackBerry go wrong?-bubbleguylistenmusic2.jpg
    08-13-13 06:09 PM
    what "exactly" have they done right?
    08-13-13 06:10 PM
    They are losing because they still haven't figured out that the phones are toys, entertainment devices, social engagement facilitators, and lastly a secure email provider. This despite having had the best social tool with BBM. The new phones are launched with an excellent and exciting OS, but their marketing strategy was openly stated as being directed to their base... That they still haven't figured have moved on to a provider offering toys, entertainment etc... Is almost criminal.

Very sad as I continue to be ridiculed for supporting BB10... Oh well, will go down with the ship
    08-13-13 06:14 PM
    Honesty too many things missing from legacy. Forget the potential new customers. They barely got the diehard to switch. I love my Z but I'm not a power user like a lot of these business men. Why would they jump on board with something they feel will slow them down in productivity.

As, I said I love my phone but I can understand why a lot of people hesitated.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:16 PM
    I was thinking along similar lines. The market just wasn't receptive to Blackberry. How many media reports did we come across where the "expert" reviewers either didn't educate themselves or bother to spend more than a day or two with the device before publishing an "informed" experience. Distribute enough misinformed opinions and enough people will start to believe it to be true.

I think they underestimated how bad public sentiment was /is towards bbry. A few more apps couldn't hurt. But apps would have came with sales. There is nothing really wrong with the devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:20 PM
    While the hardware may have been there. The software was rushed out still a year too soon.

They had no choice to release what they had. But a bug filled os didn't help matters.

Also the marketing was horrible. It's never been their strong suit. But the BB10 launch was down right pathetic. Heck look at q5 launch not even a
    Wimper.
    potatoguy likes this.
    08-13-13 06:23 PM
    This is correct. The company was lost when the prior co-CEOs did virtually nothing for 3+ years when it was clear to everyone outside of Waterloo that the iPhone represented a sea change in the smartphone industry. By the time RIM finally acknowledged that they were on the wrong path, they were already on a rocketship hurtling towards the ground. IMO, blaming this on TH is a mistake. As someone else put it rather well, it's like being a captain dropped on the control deck of the Titanic an hour after it struck the iceberg. No amount of commands to the engine room were going to stop it from sinking; the damage was already done by the previous captain.
    Troy you should be a teacher, your post are very well explained. I agree, the mistake was to do nothing at the launch of the iphone or at least thinking it wouldn't hurt.
    08-13-13 06:24 PM
97 1234