And was just listed on the tsx? BlackBerry doesn't have that much business in the us anymore and I believe the short position on the stock is greater than the long institutional holdings in the us. Does it make sense to keep the listing there?

Then the hedge funds would have to cover their short positions or begin a difficult process of trying to roll it over to the canadian side, which I imagine with regulations it would be difficult and they would have to greatly reduce their shorts. The short position on BlackBerry is much larger than the largest short position currently on the tsx

Does anyone here think it would be a good move? they would have to get the publicity right and explain the reasoning behind it

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    04-13-15 05:26 PM
    Then what would happen to the institution investors? Those longs

#BBFactCheck
    04-13-15 07:11 PM
    While I get where your coming from, I think it would further promote the "BlackBerry is dead" mentality.

BB for Life
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-13-15 10:45 PM
    If you see the recent short interest it actually dropped! Looks like the smart money that was on the short side is actually easing itself out.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 09:06 AM
    They killing BlackBerry and making money in the process. I say delist. F***em!

They can still sell devices without being listed.
    04-14-15 09:52 AM
    Wow....what a question to pose on a fan site.

Clearly the OP has no understanding of how stock listing is achieved or managed, as delisting is a serious blow to any company.

Of course maybe the OP does know and just took the opportunity to sprinkle some negative fairy dust on Blackberry.........
    04-14-15 11:10 AM
    Perhaps Prem Watsa would be willing to add a couple dollars to his $9 offer from last year to take the company private. Then there would be no reason to fret over shorts.
    04-14-15 11:16 AM
    Stock price would drop as millions of US owned shares would get sold.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 04:54 PM
    Actually, delisting the stock wouldn't necessarily hurt the stock price. In order to do that though, the company would have to buy back all publicly owned shares. Unfortunately the available cash on hand is not nearly enough to facilitate this kind of transaction. When Thor was in charge, they attempted to do this on several occasions but couldn't find a buyer willing to provide that kind of liquidity. I think Prem Watsa ended up just injecting them with a couple hundred million in exchange for warrants.

The only other alternative is for the stock price to fall below $1 at which point NASDAQ would gladly delist the company. Of course, the current book value alone allows for the fair market valuation to be justified far above $1. This company is very cheap right now. All we need is a sign of revenue stabilization and the promised growth in software revenues. Eyes are now watching BlackBerry very closely since the last earnings statement.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:02 PM
    Any free advertising on cnbc would go away. So C level execs would be less aware.

I'm talking about the interviews that Chen does on finance channels.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 10:51 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:48 PM
    Perhaps Prem Watsa would be willing to add a couple dollars to his $9 offer from last year to take the company private. Then there would be no reason to fret over shorts.
    The company is worth less today than it was back then....
    • Sales are down.
    • Revenues are down.
    • Assets are smaller (sold most everything, other than patents... and they are working on those now)
    • BBM/Channels have now shown that they aren't the next social media phenomenon
    • IoT is still just a project
    • BES is being overshadowed by BIS losses.
    • Userbase has lost almost 50% in the last two years.

Not sure how you would get him to pay more for BlackBerry today than two years ago. Chen has balanced the books and continued Thor's hopes of some sort of IoT product. But they are still very much a company in search of a market that will buy from them.

Potential they have..... and it's possible that 12 months from now that IoT companies start using BES to secure their products and revenues start going up, up and up. But are those odds any better than BB10, BES, BBM??
    techvisor likes this.
    07-13-15 08:40 AM
    The company is worth less today than it was back then....
    • Sales are down.
    • Revenues are down.
    • Assets are smaller (sold most everything, other than patents... and they are working on those now)
    • BBM/Channels have now shown that they aren't the next social media phenomenon
    • IoT is still just a project
    • BES is being overshadowed by BIS losses.
    • Userbase has lost almost 50% in the last two years.

Not sure how you would get him to pay more for BlackBerry today than two years ago. Chen has balanced the books and continued Thor's hopes of some sort of IoT product. But they are still very much a company in search of a market that will buy from them.

Potential they have..... and it's possible that 12 months from now that IoT companies start using BES to secure their products and revenues start going up, up and up. But are those odds any better than BB10, BES, BBM??
    Still, one achievement was stabilizing the company on a lower level. The ridiculous cash burn from the L&B/Heins era has been halted. If that hadn't been the case, they would have gone through the $3b by now.

So by injecting cash and hiring Chen, at least the company's survival as an entity has been ensured. Now they need to use their unique position as one of the world's best equipped "start-ups" and make something happen...

:-D

�   "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."   �
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    07-14-15 06:34 AM
    Still, one achievement was stabilizing the company on a lower level. The ridiculous cash burn from the L&B/Heins era has been halted. If that hadn't been the case, they would have gone through the $3b by now.

So by injecting cash and hiring Chen, at least the company's survival as an entity has been ensured. Now they need to use their unique position as one of the world's best equipped "start-ups" and make something happen...

:-D

•   "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."   •
    I agree Chen has masterfully cut cost... especially when revenues have been a moving target.

But I don't think anyone see BlackBerry as a "start-up"... their is too much history and too many broken promises.
    techvisor and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-14-15 08:02 AM
    I agree Chen has masterfully cut cost... especially when revenues have been a moving target.

But I don't think anyone see BlackBerry as a "start-up"... their is too much history and too many broken promises.
    They are not a start-up in a historical sense, put positionally they -since the BB10 (development phase and) launch- are in a similar position to a start-up, imho. They were starting from scratch, basically...

(with a new product :-) )

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-15-15 05:02 PM
    They are not a start-up in a historical sense, put positionally they -since the BB10 (development phase and) launch- are in a similar position to a start-up, imho. They were starting from scratch, basically...

(with a new product :-) )

•   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   •
    I think hardware is history....

I was thinking more the IoT products that they have been working on for the last few years... and their move to become a software company.

But too be honest... I'm not sure if they took their "proposal" to the Shark Tank.... anyone would invest.
    07-16-15 07:26 AM