I can see MSFT acquiring BlackBerry and how that would benefit MSFT.... don't see any up side for fans of BB.

• BES would be folded into Exchange a upgradable higher security level ExchageSecure
    • Hardware would be killed off - maybe Nokia would make a BlackBerry "classic" looking device running Windows Mobile.
    • QNX would be folded into their embed platforms division.
    • Channels would be killed off.
    • BBM would be killed off - with a few technology give to Skype.
    I agree, there is no upside for BlackBerry fans if MSFT buys or attempts to partner with BlackBerry. Anyone who thinks differently needs to go back and look at MSFT's history.

If MSFT takes BlackBerry over, some parts of BES (the upcoming part that controls WP) may be incorporated into Exchange and the rest will be dropped. Maybe the upcoming BES cloud survives and gets integrated into Office365. Hardware will be killed because it duplicates in-house staff and whatever part of Nokia that survives the job cuts. QNX either gets killed or possibly spun off because MSFT has always been about Windows and only windows. The automakers would probably insist that QNX survive somehow, but if MSFT doesn't spin it off, they'll starve it of resources until automakers switch to Linux Automotive, or whatever it's called. Whatever part of BBM that can be merged into Skype would be merged and the rest killed.

This is all based on MSFT's history. Just look at what they are doing with Nokia!
    chalx likes this.
    07-18-14 10:24 PM
    Instead of acquiring, how about licensing deal between Microsoft and BlackBerry

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    07-18-14 10:32 PM
    Instead of acquiring, how about licensing deal between Microsoft and BlackBerry

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    For the same reason the many Enterprise customers have not bought into the BES10 platform.... not enough confidence in the existing management and direction of the company. Doesn't do much good to invest in BlackBerry as a partner, as long as it's existence is still in jeopardy. Sure Chen is doing better and is improving the odds, but I don't know many big companies that want to take even small risks in IT.

Amazon hasn't invested in BlackBerry....
    NantnHealth didn't invest in BlackBerry....

Only company that has invested in BlackBerry is FairFax, and that was because they were already in for a pound..... and they got a guarantee on their investment.
    07-21-14 09:46 AM
    For the same reason the many Enterprise customers have not bought into the BES10 platform.... not enough confidence in the existing management and direction of the company. Doesn't do much good to invest in BlackBerry as a partner, as long as it's existence is still in jeopardy. Sure Chen is doing better and is improving the odds, but I don't know many big companies that want to take even small risks in IT.

Amazon hasn't invested in BlackBerry....
    NantnHealth didn't invest in BlackBerry....

Only company that has invested in BlackBerry is FairFax, and that was because they were already in for a pound..... and they got a guarantee on their investment.
    If you were a big enterprise customer, which MDM/EMM provider would you opt for? Looking at both balance sheet and security of course.
    07-28-14 01:57 PM
    If you were a big enterprise customer, which MDM/EMM provider would you opt for? Looking at both balance sheet and security of course.
    To be honest I'll admit I don't know enough about the capabilities or pricing of the different options on the market today.

I'm not saying that BES isn't the most secure (I believe it is), I'm not saying it isn't easy to use, I'm not saying it isn't cost effective, but when companies weigh these type decisions - reliability is an issue they look at. Chen is saying they have an 80/20 shot, but some companies still see that as a risk. And some companies have CEO's and CFO's of their own that can look at the earnings reports and understand CEO speak well enough to know that Chen is being a little optimistic in his own assessment of the situation.
    07-28-14 02:30 PM
    To be honest I'll admit I don't know enough about the capabilities or pricing of the different options on the market today.

I'm not saying that BES isn't the most secure (I believe it is), I'm not saying it isn't easy to use, I'm not saying it isn't cost effective, but when companies weigh these type decisions - reliability is an issue they look at. Chen is saying they have an 80/20 shot, but some companies still see that as a risk. And some companies have CEO's and CFO's of their own that can look at the earnings reports and understand CEO speak well enough to know that Chen is being a little optimistic in his own assessment of the situation.
    He used the 'better than 80/20' odds because (as he stated) he doesn't like to claim it's a done deal. And it wouldn't be appropriate either given the turnaround is still at play. Remember Thorsten Heins' statements which would soon after back-fire? John Chen isn't going to fall into that trap.

Customers need, and will eventually IMO, buy into the turnaround. That's the whole point of the stategic investment Fairfax made (cash balance > 3 billion dollars). Not only are they financially sound, it also bought them time to execute and deliver on their promises, and offer better security for less money.

No one is better off with BlackBerry gone, and enterprises can see that too. If BlackBerry's infrastructure is eventually absorbed by a bigger entity, then so be it. But gone, never. If other MDM players can claim the same.... I somehow doubt that.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-28-14 04:13 PM
    Well said Dimi.

Eazzy Peazzy
    _dimi_ and theRock1975 like this.
    07-29-14 11:31 PM
    Microserf, needs to know it's place and it won't be in acquiring the Berry.

Provide a platform for BES, BB Link and BlackBerry development tools.

Let the professionals (aka. BlackBerry) handle the rest.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:38 PM
58 123