This is the best outcome for those of us wanting to see the brand and handsets survive, as well as keeping many Canadian jobs in Canada.
    That may not be the case though. Unfortunately.
    09-09-13 09:21 PM
    This one got my attention. Not because it is verified, but it's not a terrible source, normally:

Pension funds cool to BlackBerry buyout overtures - The Globe and Mail
    That is interesting. There's always three sides to every story.
    09-09-13 09:23 PM
    This one got my attention. Not because it is verified, but it's not a terrible source, normally:

Pension funds cool to BlackBerry buyout overtures - The Globe and Mail
    I am not an expert, but I know one thing, that is, pension funds, by definition, are a rather a conservative bunch. They are a managed fund (someone else's retirement money), and people usually knock on their door, and pension funds usually stick their nose in to see what's what. That does not at all mean they have any interest in what they bothered to see.
    I guess BBRY is considered too speculative, and I never thought pension funds would show any serious interest. They can invest but cannot gamble.

BTW, there are two similar threads going on and I posted on one, and forgot which one.
    It might be a repeat, but whatever Watsa does, I hope BBRY won't be preyed into a manipulative game by investors for their money game. I would like to see BBRY somehow joined by somebody in the industry, who can take a strong leadership to "deliver" what the market really wanted, and fast. I hope somebody will pick up where BBRY left off.
    Mingling of investors with present Board in a boardroom deal just does not sound right. Perhaps creating another blunder, not producing anything concrete?
    09-09-13 09:35 PM
    Am I right??? You are saying apple, windows and BlackBerry are 1.5 years behind Sony, Samsung and HTC in terms of hardware?

Posted via CB10
    What we're saying is that because Sony, Samsung, and HTC are all selling the same software the only thing they can use to make their product different are the specs, this fact has ended uop leading to a spec race to see how can have the biggest screen, highest PPI, most RAM, fastest processor with the most cores, ect. Some of these specs will really matter to a consumer some really won't.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 09:56 PM
    I wrote CrackBerry about this over 15 hours ago since im an investor myself....they have yet to post anything about it. They must not care about it.
    09-09-13 10:00 PM
    I wrote CrackBerry about this over 15 hours ago since im an investor myself....they have yet to post anything about it. They must not care about it.
    Or they don't know what's going on like everyone else out there. As you'll notice, there are now articles out stating the opposite and saying the pension funds have cooled on this. Noone knows the real story except for the few involved so as an investor you aren't going to get relevant information on here.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:06 PM
    Soo Canada is saving Blackberry basically?
    09-09-13 10:21 PM
    What we're saying is that because Sony, Samsung, and HTC are all selling the same software the only thing they can use to make their product different are the specs, this fact has ended uop leading to a spec race to see how can have the biggest screen, highest PPI, most RAM, fastest processor with the most cores, ect. Some of these specs will really matter to a consumer some really won't.

Posted via CB10
    htc and sony have money problems....

but ps4 should save sony. htc i dunno if they will survive the spec war. Their new ultra pixel camera is a way they dont have to fully participate.
    09-09-13 10:23 PM
    htc and sony have money problems....

but ps4 should save sony. htc i dunno if they will survive the spec war. Their new ultra pixel camera is a way they dont have to fully participate.
    I agree that HTC is in bad shape at the moment. Right now the only two companies who make a majority of their money from smartphones are BlackBerry and HTC and both are struggling to stay afloat. I do find it funny that some people on this say that HTC and BlackBerry should merge. I'm mean two struggling phone makers getting together really won't solve anything.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 11:56 PM
    Well I dunno about you people but I am bursting with excitement right now
    09-10-13 12:26 AM
    Well I dunno about you people but I am bursting with excitement right now
    It's kinda like going on a blind date could end up being really good or Really bad.

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-10-13 01:17 AM
    This. BlackBerry needs to recruit from silicone Valley. Taking the company private won't help if they don't have top tier talent (on all fronts, marketing, hardware design, UI design, etc).
    Exactly, and the corollary to this is that they lack the top tier talent now. For that, Thorsten Heins should be shipped back home without his $53MM golden parachute. That was his job - to make sure that the firm had the talent in place and the strategic vision to leverage their strong installed base and their cash hoard and whatever residual cred they had from being the pioneers. He failed abysmally. Period.

Of course, it won't happen. Thorsten will get his cash.

By the way, attracting that talent is going to be a tough slog.
    09-10-13 03:18 AM
    So the best they can so is a photo of a Storm? Lol.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    LOL! Not even a Storm 2!! That's pretty lazy journalism. You'd think they'd show a BB w/a physical keyboard, such as the Bold or the Q10, which is more representative of what BlackBerry is known for!
    09-10-13 08:36 AM
    CPP just partnered with private equity Ares to buy Neiman Marcus for 6 billion

Posted via Harry
    09-10-13 09:54 AM
    Are we there yet?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-10-13 10:03 AM
    Almost

Posted via Harry
    09-10-13 10:41 AM
    Soon............
    09-10-13 10:43 AM
    I think if possible it will be great for bb as a brand
    09-10-13 11:54 AM
    CPP just partnered with private equity Ares to buy Neiman Marcus for 6 billion
    And how does that relate to this discussion?
    09-10-13 01:03 PM
    CPP is willing to invest. Neiman Marcus was having problems with the luxury end customers not spending money

Posted via Harry
    09-10-13 04:05 PM
    CPP is willing to invest. Neiman Marcus was having problems with the luxury end customers not spending money

Posted via Harry
    Neiman Marcus Group Inc.'s fiscal third-quarter earnings rose 13% as the high-end department-store operator reported continued sales growth.

The luxury retailer has continued to post improved sales in recent quarters as its well-heeled customers have returned amid a slow economic recovery.

Neiman's current owners, private-equity investors TPG Capital and Warburg Pincus LLC, have been looking to sell or take the retailer public. The Wall Street Journal last week reported that Neiman Marcus spurned a recent proposal in which buyout firm KKR & Co. /quotes/zigman/600022/quotes/nls/kkr KKR +1.67% would invest in Saks Inc. (SKS) and the two luxury retailers would merge.

For the quarter ended April 27, Neiman reported a profit of $70.8 million, up from $62.6 million a year earlier. The latest period included debt-extinguishment losses of $15.6 million. Revenue increased 3.8% to $1.1 billion. Same-store sales rose 3.6%.

In the specialty-retail-stores segment, which includes Neiman Marcus, LastCall and Bergdorf Goodman stores and represents 78% of the top line, sales were up 1%. At its online business, revenue climbed 15%.
    09-10-13 06:20 PM
    I think even if this happens BB10 will still be scrapped/discontinued/unsupported. The only way forward is as a niche company with a basis like OS7.
    09-10-13 07:17 PM
    The only thing that keeps me from a nice Q10 is the doubts about Blackberry's ability to survive. I'll buy a Q10 within the week if BB can give some solid reassurances. Wonder if others feel the same.

My Note 2 is nice when I'm just fiddling around, killing time..... but the act using the phone to communicate (email, text, and ...yes... actual phone calls) is a HUGE hassle.
    09-10-13 07:17 PM
    The only thing that keeps me from a nice Q10 is the doubts about Blackberry's ability to survive. I'll buy a Q10 within the week if BB can give some solid reassurances. Wonder if others feel the same.

My Note 2 is nice when I'm just fiddling around, killing time..... but the act using the phone to communicate (email, text, and ...yes... actual phone calls) is a HUGE hassle.
    I was in the same boat until after spending a few weeks here, until I realised it won't survive, at least how it currently is. Best case scenario they turn into a niche company, and if that happens the whole BB10 will probably be discontinued. So you'll be left with an unsupported BB when the next line will be back to something like OS7.
    09-10-13 07:23 PM
    Not going to happen...
    09-10-13 07:53 PM
207 ... 6789