Yep, nothing in this world is certain,
    BUT, In this case, I think BlackBerry will still be around in ten years and beyond that , that's all I'm saying.

Posted via CB10
    CNParrish, Skyforever and hf199 like this.
    09-09-13 03:23 PM
    This is good news for BlackBerry,
    It's amazing that some people on here want to twist this around to try and make it look negative.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by der_mit; 09-09-13 at 05:34 PM.
    09-09-13 03:29 PM
    I think that under the present circumstances this is probably the best outcome for Blackberry! If this happens it will put them back on track as the uncertainties will be removed and you will start seeing all that BES10 testing payoff! After that they will clean house and hire competent marketing and Directors to turn things around. They will do that mark my word. Watsa knows what he is doing. Once that happens watch out Microsoft, Samsung and Apple you will be kicking your self for not having bought out Blackberry!
    der_mit likes this.
    09-09-13 04:51 PM
    They have too make it sound negative,in order to make the stock drop. They are ****ting their pants because they shorted the stock, and now they are going to be taken to the proverbial wood shed!
    der_mit and Kid Vibe like this.
    09-09-13 04:56 PM
    No, I don't believe Watsa/Fairfax is the only player here, though I suspect they've taken the lead in bringing other investors on board.

Now, how's THIS for a conspiracy theory: that BB may have deliberately downplayed sales and marketing of BB10 in an effort to depress the share price. This serves to reduce the price they'll have to pay to buy out the outstanding shares...
    You are right they are not the only players here, they want to bring others investors too. It is been foolish of them to make noise now. if i were them will wait for the Q2 call at end of this month when shares go down i make the jump and do the investment (just my opinion)
    09-09-13 05:15 PM
    Just because Watsa is taking them private, don't expect him to dither on profitability. He could still very well gut the joint for cash once he's privatised it. He'll do whatever makes him the most money - and making Blackberry phones may be last on that list.

All I'm saying is sometimes a "white knight" is not all it's meant to be, so be cautious.
    Not if the CPP is part of the equation he won't.

In Canada we have this little thing called "The Net Benefit Clause".
    Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:21 PM
    I think that BlackBerry has an great future and Mr. Watsa knows this.
    For those of you who use visualization give this a shot.!
    I am;
    09-09-13 05:35 PM
    Not really, he cannot gut the company because even when Blackberry is private he does not have majority control, the pension funds and other investment do, so they would not let him do this.
    09-09-13 05:49 PM
    Not really, he cannot gut the company because even when Blackberry is private he does not have majority control, the pension funds and other investment do, so they would not let him do this.
    How do you know they wouldn't be in favour of that?
    09-09-13 05:52 PM
    If Blackberry is private , you can bet P. Watsa will clean house. Do you think that Prem and investors are going to cough up billions to bailout Blackberry and then continue with the current bungling board of directors. I don't think so.
    09-09-13 05:54 PM
    Ever wonder why all those execs, left about a month ago. Well they knew Watsa was going to take Blackberry private, and when that happens they would all of been turfed for incompetence. So they didn't leave a sinking ship they left before their reputation was tarnished.
    09-09-13 05:58 PM
    The board would be replaced with representatives of the new owners group...

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-09-13 05:58 PM
    is it possible to announce a sale on an earnings call?

"and this will be the last earnings report... since we are now going private, as we have sold to CPP"

maybe...
    09-09-13 06:02 PM
    Not if the CPP is part of the equation he won't.

In Canada we have this little thing called "The Net Benefit Clause".
    We do have that clause, though upon reading about it I have to conclude it wouldn't apply if the organizations backing the buyout are all (or majority?) Canadian. Frequently Asked Questions - Investment Canada Act The Investment Canada Act, which seems to be where this Net Benefit clause comes in, exists "to provide for the review of significant investments in Canada by non-Canadians in order to ensure such benefit to Canada".

That said, I agree it's pretty ludicrous to think Watsa would or even could just butcher the company for the parts. That might work in some places, but to actually get more value out of them he'd probably have to be selling globally, at which point "net benefit" would certainly kick in even if it doesn't apply to the initial buyout.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-09-13 06:04 PM
    "And this will be the last earning report"

Not going to happen...the share holders have to approve it. In Canada they require 90% of the shares so this is far from over.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 06:05 PM
    If Blackberry is private , you can bet P. Watsa will clean house. Do you think that Prem and investors are going to cough up billions to bailout Blackberry and then continue with the current bungling board of directors. I don't think so.
    If they are bought their will be no board.

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    09-09-13 06:10 PM
    If they are bought their will be no board.
    ?? Come on, don't mislead people. All corporations in Canada (and possibly everywhere else) have boards. My company has a board. I'm the sole employee, and sole director on said board. Legally you can't not have a board, and AGMs, and some other stuff to go with it.
    09-09-13 06:17 PM
    ?? Come on, don't mislead people. All corporations in Canada (and possibly everywhere else) have boards. My company has a board. I'm the sole employee, and sole director on said board. Legally you can't not have a board, and AGMs, and some other stuff to go with it.
    Don't forget those lovely annual Corp fees.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 06:25 PM
    Silicon valley recruits from waterloo.
    09-09-13 06:34 PM
    How would he create value?
    09-09-13 06:53 PM
    No, I don't believe Watsa/Fairfax is the only player here, though I suspect they've taken the lead in bringing other investors on board.

Now, how's THIS for a conspiracy theory: that BB may have deliberately downplayed sales and marketing of BB10 in an effort to depress the share price. This serves to reduce the price they'll have to pay to buy out the outstanding shares...
    Then the CEO and Board would/should all be arrested.

Personally, I think in this case a cigar is just a cigar. BB10 devices aren't good enough to compete.
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    09-09-13 07:07 PM
    hope he has a big dust pan , cause he has a big house to clean!! like I say, a new broom sweeps clean!!
    09-09-13 07:08 PM
    This is truly sad...
    That was an Australian article. The last Blackberry to sell in any numbers here was the Storm. Ruined Blackberry for a generation of smartphone users.
    09-09-13 07:10 PM
    Mr. Watsa is a very interesting man; here is a mini bio. I don't get the impression that he is a man who would take BlackBerry and destory it, I get the impression that he is a builder and believes in solidarity.!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Prem Watsa was born in 1950 in Hyderabad, India and is the founder, chairman, and chief executive of Fairfax Financial Holdings, based in Toronto, Ontario.[1][2][3][4] He has been called the "Canadian Warren Buffett" by some during successful periods of investing.[5]
    He is a CFA charterholder, an alumnus of the Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet,[6] a graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology with a degree in Chemical Engineering and a holder of an MBA from the Richard Ivey School of Business of the University of Western Ontario. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the The Hospital for Sick Children, a member of the Advisory Board for the Richard Ivey School of Business, a member of the Board of Directors of the Royal Ontario Museum Foundation and as well as Chairman of the Investment Committee of St. Paul�s Anglican Church. In June 2009, he was installed as the ninth chancellor of the University of Waterloo.[7] On January 22, 2012, it was reported he was to be appointed to BlackBerry handset maker, Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM), board of directors in the company's largest ever corporate shakeup. Mr Watsa resigned in August 2013, but kept his investment in the company at the time.
    Watsa is on the advisory board of the Dakshana Foundation
    09-09-13 07:13 PM
    Then the CEO and Board would/should all be arrested.

Personally, I think in this case a cigar is just a cigar. BB10 devices aren't good enough to compete.
    "BB10 devices aren't good enough to compete"
    Such a ******* lie and you know it...

Posted via CB10
    bradu1, STV0726 and bombastic like this.
    09-09-13 07:22 PM
207 ... 34567 ...