I hope they are much smarter than me. But what is Fairfax's average now? ~$17. He's still $6 short.

At some point in time, he has to cut his losses.

For all of you. There is a rumor that Fairfax and CPP are buying. There is absolutely no price attached to this rumored transaction. There is no evidence that either are going to keep BBRY whole or break it up.
    If he was going to cut his losses, now is the time do it. Going all in and then breaking up the company is absurd. If nobody wants to buy BBRY now, why in the he!! would they want to buy it 6 months from now after Watsa has taken them private.

If I'm Watsa and I don't think the company stands a chance, I divest myself as gracefully as possible and try to minimize my losses.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-09-13 11:26 AM
    First it was just Watsa buying the company, now it Watsa and the CPP. Truth be told we don't know who will be part of this consortium. But my bet is will be comprised of NUMEROUS well capitalized funds/companies, that individually, their shares will be miniscule to them, and pose small risk to their overall portfolios. But collectively they will be able to make a go of it. I don't see just one or two groups comprising this privatization, as I agree that it would be too risky.
    09-09-13 11:30 AM
    How many think that the purchase will happen and there will be no change at CEO? To me that is the only positive scenario, if they keep as much the same as possible. If this purchase happens and Thor gets "fired" and takes his golden parachute to safety, that will be the first sign of many bad things to follow. Keep things together. Keep things moving forward.
    09-09-13 11:39 AM
    I feel sorry for those retirees whose pension funds are going to fund this thing if it does indeed happen.
    Well I don't, and I tell you why.. cpp will never invest and loose they have a proven record they have smart people running the show,if they want to put their hand on this they know the inside scoop. My 2 cents.

Golf=passion
    09-09-13 11:45 AM
    First it was just Watsa buying the company, now it Watsa and the CPP. Truth be told we don't know who will be part of this consortium. But my bet is will be comprised of NUMEROUS well capitalized funds/companies, that individually, their shares will be miniscule to them, and pose small risk to their overall portfolios. But collectively they will be able to make a go of it. I don't see just one or two groups comprising this privatization, as I agree that it would be too risky.
    No, I don't believe Watsa/Fairfax is the only player here, though I suspect they've taken the lead in bringing other investors on board.

Now, how's THIS for a conspiracy theory: that BB may have deliberately downplayed sales and marketing of BB10 in an effort to depress the share price. This serves to reduce the price they'll have to pay to buy out the outstanding shares...
    09-09-13 11:46 AM
    IF it happens, who runs the company? Thorsten?
    09-09-13 12:00 PM
    Here's the Facts about The Great Watsa ------->

09-09-13 12:06 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Shorts and hedge funds about to get a surprise in 3... 2.....

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-09-13 12:08 PM
    No, I don't believe Watsa/Fairfax is the only player here, though I suspect they've taken the lead in bringing other investors on board.

Now, how's THIS for a conspiracy theory: that BB may have deliberately downplayed sales and marketing of BB10 in an effort to depress the share price. This serves to reduce the price they'll have to pay to buy out the outstanding shares...
    I had been thinking that myself. And wondering why if you're company is loosing millions and millions of dollars why is your cash on hand continuing to increase? At first I thought they were just liquidating noncash asset so they could have cash on hand for a large marketing/R&D push, but as that hasn't happened what you're saying could in fact be the case.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 12:15 PM
    Oh my God, what a hoot. Same person that posted this overly emotional post earlier today:

I mean, do you really expect someone to have a serious discussion with you after that post. I mean really? C'mon man!!
    Okay. I'm not sure who will buy BlackBerry and I'm no expert.

But I do believe, speaking of money, you need to buy yourself a sense of humor.

I was making a joke about how passionate I personally am with BlackBerry.

For you to make the unfounded claim that any attempt to actually save BlackBerry with a buyout and privatization is purely emotional is...unfounded (heh)...and ignorant.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude...I'm serious. I was making a joke about myself and how I'm personally emotional about BlackBerry. But in terms of preserving their existence, there are MANY reasons this is important for many people.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-09-13 12:16 PM
    No way. Blackberry hardware sales are going to be much more difficult to resuscitate after this debacle. Much of Blackberry's value has always been in its hardware business. Unless BBRY's future owners intend to abandon hardware and focus on Blackberry's software offerings, this would be a foolish strategy.

The more likely scenario, IMO, is that BBRY management believed BB10 would inevitably fail so chose to preserve cash rather than push the devices. (They had to launch the devices even knowing they would not take off due to investor pressure/expectation.)
    09-09-13 12:26 PM
    Been from the UK who is prema is this going to be good for BlackBerry a little background please?

Z10 enough said!
    09-09-13 12:26 PM
    So the best they can so is a photo of a Storm? Lol.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    This is truly sad...
    09-09-13 12:31 PM
    Been from the UK who is prema is this going to be good for BlackBerry a little background please?

Z10 enough said!
    He's the canadian Warren buffet
    09-09-13 12:53 PM
    Oh so he got plenty of wonga in the bank.

Z10 enough said!
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-09-13 12:59 PM
    Oh so he got plenty of wonga in the bank.

Z10 enough said!
    Yup.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-09-13 01:03 PM
    It'd be awesome if they could go private! Perhaps the Tech gods HAVE heard my prayers. Lol.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-09-13 01:09 PM

I'm with you on that thought and have been thinking that for awhile now. It only makes good biz sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 01:16 PM
    What are the odds well get something substantial before the earnings report....i can pretty much guarantee the share price will drop below $10 come sept 27.

If they do wanna take it private, then it would make sense to say nothing, let BlackBerry report another bad quarter and then offer 12 dollars rather then 15 dollars to shareholders.

In that case the question becomes, should I sell now or wait and see if watsa has a better deal?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 09-10-13 at 12:52 PM.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-09-13 01:49 PM
    Don't you think everyone knows that ER will be terrible...this is almost reverse of last ER

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 02:05 PM
    [QUOTE=Mikhou;9142552]Here's the Facts about The Great Watsa ------->

[/QUOT

Did you also known that he also said that it would take years to reach there not one quater....I don't know why people like to make fun of the greatest investors of the world...Respect smart people...maybe you will get smarter someday yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe, ghundiraj and peter9477 like this.
    09-09-13 02:10 PM
    Don't you think everyone knows that ER will be terrible...this is almost reverse of last ER

Posted via CB10
    Except the CEO said it would be bad. This place is becoming completely surreal.
    09-09-13 02:10 PM
    Sounds promising, the goal for Blackberry right now at this moment is to be a solid number 3 phone provider, passing Microsoft phone, which is absolutely terrible, I had one in my hands , my goodness , they call this a smart phone
    If Blackberry can past Microsoft, get back on solid footing, I strongly believe this company could be back at the top,
    09-09-13 02:21 PM
    Ha. And they laughed at me on the other thread where I said BlackBerry will still be around in ten years time.

You see, BlackBerry is too important to let slip away,
    It's not like Nortel, and it's not like Palm though I am sad they went, BlackBerry is different, government's rely on BlackBerry, massive world leading companies rely on BlackBerry.

We could go on about the problems BlackBerry have , but it's not for us to do that,
    The point is BlackBerry WILL be around for a long time, more than ten years from now.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 02:55 PM
    Ha. And they laughed at me on the other thread where I said BlackBerry will still be around in ten years time.
    This still doesn't mean Blackberry will be around in 10 years time. It just means Blackberry will be more likely to survive for 2 to 3 years. In other words, Blackberry may be getting another shot. I still can't see how Blackberry will survive past 3 years unless it does things really differently, though. The upper management definitely needs to go as well as many of those on the lower rung.

(Of course, there's also a chance that investors are purchasing BBRY to break it apart or the hardware division with be shafted in their turnaround plans, anyway.)
    09-09-13 03:03 PM
207 ... 23456 ...