Nice to know

Posted via Harry
    09-09-13 08:46 AM
    CPP Investment Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $183 Billion
    Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $93.80 Billion
    Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $142.43 Billion

Just sayin....
    Just sayin what? That CPP would put the full weight of it's assets behind BBRY, thus endangering the future of all of those pensions? Seriously? Get a grip. Being a fan of something is a great thing. But being realistic must weigh in somewhere.

CPP, IF they buy, will do so at the best possible cost to them. And they will certainly expect a return on investment. Just like Fairfax. Were I financially involved in Fairfax or CPP, I'd be raising he!! about this deal. It make no sense financially. It's all emotional.
    09-09-13 08:46 AM
    Just sayin what? That CPP would put the full weight of it's assets behind BBRY, thus endangering the future of all of those pensions? Seriously? Get a grip. Being a fan of something is a great thing. But being realistic must weigh in somewhere.

CPP, IF they buy, will do so at the best possible cost to them. And they will certainly expect a return on investment. Just like Fairfax. Were I financially involved in Fairfax or CPP, I'd be raising he!! about this deal. It make no sense financially. It's all emotional.
    All emotional...lol. BlackBerry has nothing to offer anyone by continuing to do business and sell phones. Please.

Well we had a surprisingly good run of no negative comments, folks.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-09-13 09:00 AM
    All emotional...lol. BlackBerry has nothing to offer anyone by continuing to do business and sell phones. Please.

Well we had a surprisingly good run of no negative comments, folks.

Oh my God, what a hoot. Same person that posted this overly emotional post earlier today:

I'd cut some of my own skin off for this to be true.

Please be true.

Okay I'm being dramatic but...no actually I'm serious. I'd cut 10 BB symbols into my own arm for this to be true.

I mean, do you really expect someone to have a serious discussion with you after that post. I mean really? C'mon man!!
    09-09-13 09:06 AM
    I can see them increasing their stake in the company by another 5%-10%. This privatization will consist of numerous pension funds and other financial institutions with money to capitalize BBRY and help spread BB10.
    So you believe there will be a cash injection to resurrect marketing, in store promotion including immersive training, plus a miracle to make BB10 run on entry level hardware.

Mmm, k.
    09-09-13 09:07 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    THIS is fantastic news for Blackberry lovers! .. best possible outcome to build up the brand once again ... takes hedge funds and speculators out of the long term decisionmaking ... great news !!
    09-09-13 09:10 AM
    CPP Investment Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $183 Billion
    Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $93.80 Billion
    Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Assets? - $142.43 Billion

Just sayin....
    The difference is CPP is much more diversify in it's portfolio than Google and Microsoft. That 183 billion wont be exclusively throwing at BB.
    ghundiraj likes this.
    09-09-13 09:18 AM
    Just because Watsa is taking them private, don't expect him to dither on profitability. He could still very well gut the joint for cash once he's privatised it. He'll do whatever makes him the most money - and making Blackberry phones may be last on that list.

All I'm saying is sometimes a "white knight" is not all it's meant to be, so be cautious.
    Selling major assets as a corporation can be very tricking... getting shareholders to agree to a buyout to go private make it much easier to to do whatever is necessary to provide the biggest return on investment. As for rescuing BlackBerry... PW has a love for the device and the company like any fan. But his company and his business sense might be looking a BlackBerry's assets in a whole different light.

If BlackBerry's main need was a cash infusing, then possible you could make the argument that a "white knight" might be needed to help them keep things going. But if it is a matter of BB10 not being bought by consumers and BES10 not being bought by enterprise.... might be more of a case of a butcher coming in to cut up the horse before is spoils and becomes worthless.
    09-09-13 09:23 AM
    I can't believe BGR hasn't mentioned anything about this article......oh wait yes I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-09-13 09:30 AM
    I agree and have thought there was already a plan ever since he resigned as Board Member. He probabaly had some suggestions as to how and what he wanted to buy.
    I pray that this is the long awaited breath of life that BB needs and requires.
    09-09-13 09:34 AM

For months I have read you talking BBRY down and to be fair you were absolutely right...Vut now I think you have hit the end of road here buddy...Both Prem and CPP understand value of assets and ROI better than someone blogging on CB...It's high time that value is realized and shareholders are compensated for the risks they have taken...Hoping the best for BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-09-13 09:52 AM
    Gotta love all the people above who, with zero clue about how Prem Watsa really works, and apparently no knowledge of his past history, are stating as certain fact how he'll gut the company and sell the pieces just to make a quick buck in the short term.
    slipstream89 and grover5 like this.
    09-09-13 10:09 AM
    CEO!! Nice to see you posting! Hope you made back some of your losses from the ER did you ever get back in after? I'm just curious

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:12 AM
    Microsoft has a very nice facility in Silicon Valley for those who don't want to move to WA and out of the bay area. It's hard if you're say a Google engineer who wants to work at MSFT, but your spouse/SO is at Zynga or something.

I hope new improved Blackberry will open a larger, more engineering-focused, facility in the bay area.
    09-09-13 10:15 AM
    Gotta love all the people above who, with zero clue about how Prem Watsa really works, and apparently no knowledge of his past history, are stating as certain fact how he'll gut the company and sell the pieces just to make a quick buck in the short term.
    FWIW, I think Watsa is true believer, and a huge patriot, and really will try to make a go of this.
    09-09-13 10:17 AM
    For months I have read you talking BBRY down and to be fair you were absolutely right...Vut now I think you have hit the end of road here buddy...Both Prem and CPP understand value of assets and ROI better than someone blogging on CB...It's high time that value is realized and shareholders are compensated for the risks they have taken...Hoping the best for BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    I hope they are much smarter than me. But what is Fairfax's average now? ~$17. He's still $6 short.

At some point in time, he has to cut his losses.

For all of you. There is a rumor that Fairfax and CPP are buying. There is absolutely no price attached to this rumored transaction. There is no evidence that either are going to keep BBRY whole or break it up.
    09-09-13 10:19 AM
    I feel sorry for those retirees whose pension funds are going to fund this thing if it does indeed happen.
    09-09-13 10:20 AM
    Tons of chatter about this on the net...of course I come to CB to get the story

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    09-09-13 10:37 AM
    I feel sorry for those retirees whose pension funds are going to fund this thing if it does indeed happen.
    CPP is in somewhat rough shape, and they're not generally in the habit of investing in struggling companies. If true, this could very well be a quick cash grab, although at this point it's hard to predict anything. But their mantra isn't "to save struggling Canadian companies", it's "to invest its assets with a view to achieving a maximum rate of return, without undue risk of loss"

If a deal involving Watsa does go through, he will either be hailed as the greatest thing to ever happen to Blackberry, or a criminal/scum/boycotted by Crackberry. Depending on what he does with the company of course.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-09-13 10:41 AM
    Just sayin what?
    Just saying that money is there to be had. Being a fan is alright, looking for options to support something you are a fan of is what I do.

Thankfully, I'm not the one getting riled up over something this trivial which is not even substantiated yet. You mentioned money and so did I. At no point of time did I ever say that CCP or Fairfax would be putting their entire weight behind BBRY. Of course, these guys have more financial sense than me (maybe not more than you, I guess).

I sure hope that CPP and Fairfax have someone like you, who can advise them (or raise hell, whichever works) about getting the best for CPP and Fairfax (not BBRY). For all purposes, they wouldn't be bailing BBRY out, they would be making an investment.

If I see something that I consider a wise investment, I could be talked into putting a lot of my might (obviously, not all of it) behind something that makes sound financial sense for the organization.

AND, if I was emotional, I would be showing you my tongue (yeah, that's how I roll )
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-09-13 10:45 AM

The CPP being in the shape it is, I'm less than thrilled at this prospect. It's too risky.

They are messing with the fund for Canadian seniors retirement. I don't want to see that endangered to 'save' a tech company famous for its missteps.

BB8130<BB8330<BB9530<Palm Pre<HTC Desire Z<Galaxy S i9000M<iPhone 4<Palm Pixi Plus<Lumia 720<BB 9900<SGS 3<BB Z10<iPhone 5
    pillswoj and notfanboy like this.
    09-09-13 10:47 AM
    I hope this happens!
    09-09-13 10:48 AM
    Where does BlackBerry stand vis-�-vis Nokia today? http://www.earningsimpact.com/Ideaz/...is-Nokia-today
    09-09-13 10:56 AM
    ghundiraj, certainly a well thought out post. I disagree completely, but respect what you said.

Even the greatest make mistakes. Some "fall in love" with a company or an idea that just doesn't work out. BBRY can't re-release BBOS10. They've already done the deal. What I fail to understand is how they think they can turn this company around after it has gone so far in the wrong direction.
    09-09-13 10:59 AM
    ghundiraj, certainly a well thought out post. I disagree completely, but respect what you said.

Even the greatest make mistakes. Some "fall in love" with a company or an idea that just doesn't work out. BBRY can't re-release BBOS10. They've already done the deal. What I fail to understand is how they think they can turn this company around after it has gone so far in the wrong direction.
    See, that's where I think you are wrong (I mean, you could be 100% correct, but it's just what I think )

Some may agree, that BBRY has gone in the wrong direction. Since they don't have a bad OS, they obviously don't need to re-release it.

Agreed, it has it's flaws (and lots of them), and as we see release after release (or even leaks, if you prefer), we see that the OS is now growing into a nice well-rounded platform.

No one disputes the fact that RIM messed up with BB PlayBook (tablet with no email client, from RIM, come on!!!). When you're playing catch up, there are certain things you take liberties with, and in your own mind, you think you can get away with certain limitations. This is the biggest part where they failed (yeah, I said it).

Updating your tablet with a release that offers email is just sad, but BB10 is not something from the same ballpark. The OS (dunno whether you have used it) is the smoothest I have EVER used (well, maybe since I haven't touched a non-BB device since the Z10, I am biased.)

They don't need to re-release BB10, because BB10 is already at a place where it's just getting better and better every release. All they need to do now (IMHO), is go dark, build up a better structure within the organization (don't fire TH, he'll make too much money , and come back when you know you can kick some @$$ (and they can, trust me).

Hey, you know, after all I wrote up here, I can see why you would think about the "fall in love" situation here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the billions personally, or I would actually put my money where my mouth is (and no one would care, because it would be my OWN money )
    Last edited by ghundiraj; 09-09-13 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added missing words :)
    bombastic likes this.
    09-09-13 11:13 AM
207 12345 ...