Seems to be a major contract loss from an important customer point of view....

From the news link below..
    Toronto: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is close to signing a deal to sell its popular line of Galaxy devices to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, sources familiar with the situation said on Friday.
    The deal would be a boost for Samsung, which is increasingly seeking to cater to the needs of government agencies, a niche long dominated by Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry Ltd..........

As reported in ibnlive.com Samsung close to mobile-device deal with FBI: Sources
    07-20-13 09:59 PM
    Does it have a cigar?
    07-20-13 10:03 PM
    Does it have a cigar?
    no, but u can already feel something's burning is it?
    07-20-13 10:12 PM
    Let's hope so, than they got hacked and see how quickly they are back at BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 05:47 AM
    Let's hope so, than they got hacked and see how quickly they are back at BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Government devices are generally not the same device that you buy from the local carrier. So the getting hacked part is very unlikely.
    07-21-13 09:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes lets hope that a government agency entrusted with the general public's safety gets hacked so BlackBerry can gain relevancy.

Excellent logic.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-21-13 09:52 AM
    From what I have read it is all but done. Only the highest employees will even be offered a Blackberry.
    07-21-13 09:57 AM
    It's just a rumour from "sources " and we have all seen how many turned out to being untrue. I heard the exact opposite from my source but I will believe when I see it.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:57 AM
    I was reading a Seeking Alpha article about this, and it's only for a small section of the federal government. They said it was nothing to worry about for BlackBerry.
    07-21-13 11:23 AM
    It's just a rumour from "sources " and we have all seen how many turned out to being untrue. I heard the exact opposite from my source but I will believe when I see it.

Posted via CB10
    these kind of 'rumours' play nicely on the market sentiments !!!
    07-21-13 11:34 AM
    I was reading a Seeking Alpha article about this, and it's only for a small section of the federal government. They said it was nothing to worry about for BlackBerry.
    I guess it is not just about the section, but the fact that the "security" aspect of the product is not the big sellable thing anymore which makes a dent. Even if it starts with a smaller section the competitor would be happy to have got a front door entry and see how they can penetrate further.
    07-21-13 11:35 AM
    I guess the US government just wants to make their devices diverse. But, yeah, it is not a good news for BB.
    what I think it noteworthy is that , fine the govt wants to diversify, but they went ahead with android/samsung(assuming it goes through) , not ios/apple. Thus it do give some food for thought!
    07-21-13 11:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    You hope that the government gets hacked? Interesting.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-21-13 11:38 AM
    From what I have read it is all but done. Only the highest employees will even be offered a Blackberry.
    I am sure, samsung is offering this almost free to get a pass in!
    07-21-13 01:04 PM
    Being a security consultant, I can say that 'security' is only as good as it's weakest link; that link here is it's users:

DailyTech - Rogue Smartphones Pose Threats the U.S. Military

With regards to the 'Samsung is taking over' item, I'll believe it when I see it (officially), and exactly what effects it has on the BlackBerry US Gov't. user base.
    I am confident that an off-shore company (no matter who it is) is not going to be a major player in the Americas' Government mobile devices, unless it is wrapped in something like the BlackBerry secure layer.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 10:10 PM
    I am sure, samsung is offering this almost free to get a pass in!
    Not sure how the entire enterprise works, but i can speak about a small part of it. Where I formerly worked, on a US Army installation, Blackberries were free. The provider, either Sprint or VZW, wanted the contract.

Being a security consultant, I can say that 'security' is only as good as it's weakest link; that link here is it's users:

With regards to the 'Samsung is taking over' item, I'll believe it when I see it (officially), and exactly what effects it has on the BlackBerry US Gov't. user base.
    I am confident that an off-shore company (no matter who it is) is not going to be a major player in the Americas' Government mobile devices, unless it is wrapped in something like the BlackBerry secure layer.
    Are you a security consultant for the USG?

True, we'll have to wait and see, but I've already seen non BB devices that are on the network.
    07-23-13 11:39 AM
    You hope that the government gets hacked? Interesting.
    Like they have not been hacked before!
    07-23-13 12:22 PM