I've always been vocal about biased media articles and especially the Toronto Star because I also get the paper version delivered to my house. This one published in today's paper took the cake. They like putting negative articles abut BlackBerry on their front page and usually good news gets delegated to the back. This was the same news we all knew would happen. BB cut their production levels. With media like this they should probably give up. BB needs a better PR push. So what do you guys think? A fair article of two tech sides or is the Star propping up Samsung for some strange personal gain in an article about BlackBerry? My opinion? It is garbage and I'm not surprised coming from the folks at the Toronto Star.

Printed version headline: As Samsung grows, BlackBerry shrinks

Online version headline: Samsung 'phablet' pushes smartphone limits

Both are the same article! Oh and there is a video on Samsungs 'phablets' in the middle of the article online called 'the phablet is hot in 2013' wow what a load!

For your reading displeasure:

By: Michael Lewis Business Reporter, Published on Mon Aug 19 2013

While Samsung Electronics Co. gets bigger, literally, with its Galaxy Mega phablet measuring 6.3 inches set for release in the U.S. and Canada, BlackBerry Ltd.s output continues to shrink.
    According to Jefferies & Co. analyst Peter Misek, the Waterloo-based device maker has cut its smartphone production by another 10 per cent, on top of a 50 per drop in June that lowered output to one million units per month.
    Misek said shipments of BlackBerrys new family of BB10 smartphones including the keyboard/touchscreen Q10 are below already reduced expectations.
    He cited very modest demand for the mid-tier, physical keyboard Q5, the third BB10 handset that has just rolled out in markets including Canada, and said retailers are already reducing prices on the Q10.
    Misek said the production decline means BlackBerry will likely report revenue below the consensus analyst estimate for the current quarter and puts the revenue forecast for the subsequent period in doubt.
    We believe the build plan cut indicates sell-though is tracking well below the Streets $3.1 billion (U.S.) revenue estimate, Misek said. Our Canada store checks indicate the Q5 launch is off to a slow start and Q10 prices have started to get cut.
    Misek, however, maintained his buy rating on BlackBerry stock, though he reduced his price target to $15 (U.S.) per share from $18.

He said the stock may move higher on expectation of an acquisition or BlackBerry breakup after the company said last week it is exploring alternatives including an outright sale.
    Analysts said leading shareholder Fairfax Financial may be working to assemble private equity investors for a leveraged buyout of BlackBerry, while Chinas Lenovo last week reiterated that it is considering growing its smartphone business through an acquisition to offset declines in PC sales.
    Misek, meanwhile, cited pent up demand among business and government customers for the new BlackBerry handsets and service offerings but said enterprise purchases may be put off until clarity about BlackBerrys future emerges.
    Miseks note, along with a study Monday from Juniper Research showing BlackBerry market share declines in most regions including in its traditional offshore strongholds, pushed the companys shares 1.8 per cent lower to $10.32 in New York.
    BlackBerrys market value has declined to less than $6 billion from more than $80 billion at its peak as the company ceded market leadership to mobile devices from Apple and the Android mobile operating system.
    While BlackBerry has fallen Samsung has risen to become the top smartphone vendor by sales and by dimension launching bigger screen phones to better display video and games.
    Samsung is debuting the Mega Galaxy in North America after its roll out in Europe and Russia in May, with the device to go on sale in the U.S. this week and in Canada before the end of August.
    Samsung said the big handset has the power and multitasking of a tablet, with the screen resolution quality and portability of a smartphone.
    It said the handset includes features available in other recent Galaxy phones such as split screen multitasking and an option that reduces the number of choices for new smartphone users.

Source: Samsung ‘phablet’ pushes smartphone limits | Toronto Star

Why does news like this need to have a Samsung promotion written into it? What's up with that? Is it just me? I want to hear your opinions.
    08-20-13 09:56 AM
    Anything factually incorrect in the article?
    08-20-13 10:00 AM
    No. Did I say there was?
    08-20-13 10:19 AM
    You know I feel I must clarify now. I wanted peoples opinion on why this article is written the way it is. It is a negative BlackBerry article wrapped in a Samsung promotion for their latest 'phablet'. Why is that? I think some media outlets let their bias peek through the cracks sometimes and this article is one of them. It starts with Samsungs new offering, the headline starts with Samsung, and ends with Samsungs new offering but the main article is how BB is slowing production. I feel more people will see a Samsung article and then read about BlackBerry 'dying' and it will just continue the negativity that is pulling people away from BB without them even giving it a shot. This article needed to be seen. I couldn't believe it when I read it. Very different negative article than the rest. Shows some serious bias from the writer and is most likely a marketing ploy by Samsung Canada.
    Rezia likes this.
    08-20-13 11:01 AM
    As much as this isn't a pleasant write-up for we die-hard BlackBerry users, its my opinion that article is "fair". The truth is often bitter and its so shameful that " T. Heins & company" would launch the Q5 in Canada without any fanfare. Do they honestly think that Q5 will sell itself? I understand the red Q5 is a hot seller and to think that BlackBerry gave an exclusivity to Virgin Mobile is dumb founding to me. Whats with these guys at BlackBerry? It seems they hell-bent on a suicide mission.
    BB10 phones are awesome but they need to be aggressively marketed until consumers start flocking to it.
    08-20-13 11:53 AM
    Or, the writer just knows how to play two stories off each other, knowing the contrast will create interest where two separate articles might not have. That's the kind of thing that sells newspapers, and that's the writer's business: selling newspapers.
    08-20-13 12:18 PM
    Or, the writer just knows how to play two stories off each other, knowing the contrast will create interest where two separate articles might not have. That's the kind of thing that sells newspapers, and that's the writer's business: selling newspapers.
    Great point but I still feel if that were the case he could have written more about the new Samsung and less about the details on BlackBerry. Hence making it more of a contrasting story. It seems a bit odd to me. Also what do you think of the website version of the article. The title is more towards the Samsung but not much is talked about it. And the Samsung phablet video smack dab in the middle of it all. It is more about the Note II than the new Mega though. Still feels like Samsung has been paying for this kind of "journalism".
    08-20-13 12:32 PM
    As much as this isn't a pleasant write-up for we die-hard BlackBerry users, its my opinion that article is "fair". The truth is often bitter and its so shameful that " T. Heins & company" would launch the Q5 in Canada without any fanfare. Do they honestly think that Q5 will sell itself? I understand the red Q5 is a hot seller and to think that BlackBerry gave an exclusivity to Virgin Mobile is dumb founding to me. Whats with these guys at BlackBerry? It seems they hell-bent on a suicide mission.
    BB10 phones are awesome but they need to be aggressively marketed until consumers start flocking to it.
    Wasn't going to say anything but here goes. I agree there was not enough 'fanfare' for the Q5 in Canada, but they weren't supposed to sell it here anyway. They should bring the whole colour lineup and then market it. But we aren't here to talk about BBs mistakes in marketing. I don't agree that this was a "fair" article. It may seem fair as there was truth written here, but what isn't fair is boosting another company in the article. I don't see what truth you are talking about because nobody is hurt by what the article is saying about BB but rather how the writer chose to wrap it in a Samsung pitch.
    08-20-13 12:41 PM