Today I monitored few news sources, it seemed like "CrackBerry" is the root cause of big drop. After CEO announced BBM will go platform independent, market spiked high from 15.6 to 15.8, so most traders treated it as good news, unfortunately some trolls or some stupid hardcore BB fans posted lots negative views about this announcement and threaten to leave bb platform, markets reacted and did a massive dump. I did a test trade to short-sell at the market close today on US side, and failed due to the reason "Unable to locate the shares". In the next few days, BBRY/BB can only go high, because traders can't borrow shares to short sell . It takes 3 to 5 days for clearing firms and brokerages to sort things out.
    05-14-13 06:56 PM
    You are giving too much credit to these opinions on the Crackberry forum re-BBM.

Looking at the technicals, BBRY is due for a correction. Which happened.

Other than announcement of the Q5, there is not really any great news to shout about for the price to continue rallying. So it didn't.

Quite a few punters probably make some over the week from the price run up leading to BB Live and they probably took profit. Which they did.

What you mentioned about being unable to short sell because of the inability to locate shares is interesting.
    richardat likes this.
    05-14-13 09:47 PM
    The drop wasn't really all that 'big' either. Usually, if a stock goes less than 2% either way, analysts don't even pay attention. It did dip 3.97%, but not like it dropped 10 or 20%. Clearly the market is a bit nervous, but this didn't quite have the same reaction as when the service revenue thing happened.

Edit: Volume was average - even a little below.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 05-15-13 at 12:06 PM.
    05-14-13 09:52 PM
    Unable to locate shares is a problem exclusively with your broker. It doesn't mean the market as a whole doesn't have shares available to short.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 09:53 PM
    Unable to locate shares is a problem exclusively with your broker. It doesn't mean the market as a whole doesn't have shares available to short.

Posted via CB10
    What if her broker was one of the larger house? Or more than one broker had a similar issue.

Just curious ....anyone knows the interest charged for the borrowd shares?
    05-14-13 09:58 PM
    Today I monitored few news sources, it seemed like "CrackBerry" is the root cause of big drop. After CEO announced BBM will go platform independent, market spiked high from 15.6 to 15.8, so most traders treated it as good news, unfortunately some trolls or some stupid hardcore BB fans posted lots negative views about this announcement and threaten to leave bb platform, markets reacted and did a massive dump. I did a test trade to short-sell at the market close today on US side, and failed due to the reason "Unable to locate the shares". In the next few days, BBRY/BB can only go high, because traders can't borrow shares to short sell . It takes 3 to 5 days for clearing firms and brokerages to sort things out.
    Actually I was monitoring the stock prices and the live broadcast. Within two minutes of TH stating BBM would be cross platform the price went from a loss of 1% to a loss of 5% in short time after that. The market sees that there is no financial gain in this.
    05-14-13 09:58 PM
    I personally feel the impact of BBM is over rated. I use a BB but I have only 4 BBM friends. OTH there are scores of Whatapps contacts. Literally nearly everyone on a smartphone in my contact list. By default Whatsapp is my most used messaging app on my BB.

So I don't think there would be much "loss" by porting BBM cross platform.

The converse is with BBM crossplatform, it would enable ?more efficient way for video conferencing (as in Facetime for iOS) cross platform. This would not force someone on iOS to continue using iPhones because they want the video facility, allowing iPhone users to cross to BB10 without losing functionality. I see the cross licensing then as a positive in enabling cross overs from other platforms.

On BB7, it would make sense to keep BBM proprietary because RIMM makes from BIS/BES. But on the new BB10, BBM doesn't require a BIS plan anymore to there is no additional advantage for BBRY to keep it proprietary.
    05-14-13 10:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    All the brokers borrow shares from AQS owned by Quadriser, we will see tomorrow if price going down or up.
    05-14-13 10:43 PM
    Actually I was monitoring the stock prices and the live broadcast. Within two minutes of TH stating BBM would be cross platform the price went from a loss of 1% to a loss of 5% in short time after that. The market sees that there is no financial gain in this.
    Nobody knows what is the future of BBM being cross platform, I personally interpreted as that: if BBM keeps within BB10 , it will be Rolls-Royce and die soon, open to public it will become a brand new BMW. BMW eventually owned Rolls-Royce.
    anon4226395 and Dapper37 like this.
    05-14-13 10:51 PM
    What a bunch of bunk. There are zero problems incurred shorting BB shares. I have had no problem doing such day trading, several times per day, shorting BB and loving it dealing with my reputable broker, and expect to continue to do so. I expect to see BB trend lower, disappointing it is not to see BB come forth with any factual numbers, albeit at this time they don't need to, H'mm, suspect Imho. Looking forward to the next quarterly report.
    05-16-13 05:14 AM
    I know that CB would like to think they have that much influence on BBRY but the turth be know, 90% of these investors have never heard of CB!
    05-16-13 06:55 AM
    Incorrect. The price had been down to about -3% and recovered slightly at the time of announcement - to -2% or so if I recall. It was only about 20 minutes after the end of the presentation that it dropped down to almost -5%
    05-16-13 07:18 AM
    Incorrect. The price had been down to about -3% and recovered slightly at the time of announcement - to -2% or so if I recall. It was only about 20 minutes after the end of the presentation that it dropped down to almost -5%
    ^^ Yup, I saw this as well.
    We definitely went "up" a bit.
    05-16-13 04:35 PM