does that mean you will scrap the play book entirely and start over with a new tablet? no. what we will be doing, the teams working on this, we will take it the other way around. we will provide blackberry 10 updates for all play books out there. all upgradable it blackberry 10. one quick question. to what extent are you looking to get partners to win this with blackberry 10. it is much awaited

victorshikhman likes this.
    07-02-13 05:40 PM
    Sorry but your post makes no sense.
    07-02-13 05:45 PM
    A bit of punctuation would have helped immensely here.

This is my cat's phone. She lets me use it.
    07-02-13 06:06 PM
    Thanks for digging this up, mcront35!
    I cross posted this video on the following thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8750779
    07-02-13 06:08 PM
    Why shouldn't he say that? he said for Q1 that it should be around break-even which he was correct if the Venezuela issue didn't come up. Its the analyst that pumped up all the expectations

What I don't really understand is that he said "the company expects to post further losses in the second quarter".

There is no need for him to say this..... If he did think that 2nd quarter will be a loss too, he didn't need to comment on it and no body is expecting the comment.

This is a horrible mistake and made the stock crash.
    07-02-13 06:08 PM
    Sorry but your post makes no sense.
    Agree this post makes no sense...what's the big deal with PlayBook...did they told you while buying that it will have BB10...just fed up with stupidity of people on this

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:10 PM
    The coming second quarter operating loss is the killer. Everyone here is trying to spin that it will take time for BB10 to get better. However reality is BBRY confirms that the next quarter with Q10 and Q5 going full quarter is actually going to be much worse than this first quarter. I am wondering other than handset margin compression due to promotional rebate, is there any other reason that causes the operating loss? BIS subscriber revenue must be a concern too.
    Let's put fanboy talk aside, focusing on what is going to be the challenge here for them to be so sure of the coming loss.
    07-02-13 06:20 PM
    Here we go again...
    hpjrt and h20work like this.
    07-02-13 06:31 PM
    Its the analyst that pumped up all the expectations
    �We have very, very good first signs already after the launch in the UK. This is going into the installed base of more than 70 million BlackBerry users so we have quite some expectations. We expect several tens of million of units.� ~ BlackBerry CEO,Thorsten Heins' response when asked about how the Q10 is performing during a interview with Bloomberg.

Stupid analysts, always going around screwing up everything. Even while TH & Co were hard at work trying to keep expectations low.
    notfanboy, mikeo007 and h20work like this.
    07-02-13 06:36 PM
    Here we go again...
    Yeah, but the original iphone didn't have copy/paste! It's a brand new os! We don't need apps!

Wait, what are we taking about?
    07-02-13 06:44 PM
    I like turtles.
    h20work likes this.
    07-02-13 08:05 PM
    I like turtles.
    You really think you are the only one?

fedakd likes this.
    07-02-13 08:24 PM
    You really think you are the only one?

Leave my turtles alone!!!!

Edit. The video didn't show when I first opened the thread.

The zombie kid is awesome.
    07-02-13 08:29 PM
    Leave my turtles alone!!!!
    I am curious about the ratio of people that like turtles that also like BlackBerry. Could be a demographic that they haven't tapped into yet. I'm a man, I do business so by definition I am a "businessman". I also like turtles.

While the marketing dollars won't get me to buy a new b10 (since I already have one), think of this untapped market. Apple, droid, and ms are all ignoring it . Seems like an excellent opportunity for BlackBerry
    07-02-13 08:36 PM
    What I don't really understand is that he said "the company expects to post further losses in the second quarter".

There is no need for him to say this..... If he did think that 2nd quarter will be a loss too, he didn't need to comment on it and no body is expecting the comment.

It's called giving guidance and it is very common to let your investors know how you think the company is going to do. A lot of you clearly know nothing about stocks and how public companies work.
    h20work likes this.
    07-02-13 08:51 PM
    I am curious about the ratio of people that like turtles that also like BlackBerry. Could be a demographic that they haven't tapped into yet. I'm a man, I do business so by definition I am a "businessman". I also like turtles.

While the marketing dollars won't get me to buy a new b10 (since I already have one), think of this untapped market. Apple, droid, and ms are all ignoring it . Seems like an excellent opportunity for BlackBerry
    You know, that's a good point.

I think from now on, I will call you Frank. That is if you wouldn't mind.
    07-02-13 08:53 PM
    It's called giving guidance and it is very common to let your investors know how you think the company is going to do. A lot of you clearly know nothing about stocks and how public companies work.
    Ahem.

If I may point out, most of the posts in this thread are........well, just join Frank and me.
    07-02-13 08:56 PM
    Same people saying he didn't manage wall streets expectations. I'd personally don't want to see another loss, but I'd much rather be prepared for it over the "we expect to sell 10's of millions".
    07-02-13 09:00 PM

It's called managing expectations. He lost a lot of investor confidence and is trying to reset realistic expectations, otherwise the board will fire him for lack of confidence.
    07-02-13 09:07 PM
    OP,

I'm not sure buying a piece of tech constitutes "investing"

* sorry, I know this is the bbry forum, but the original post focused on the PB, which is clearly not the reason for the stock price drop
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 07-03-13 at 08:21 PM.
    07-02-13 09:15 PM
    Okay then...
    07-02-13 10:59 PM
    You reply with a quote regarding the Q10 when this quarter it only had 1 month of sales from UK and Canada, did you really think the 2 countries combined would sell 10M Q10 phones in 1 month? unlikely.

”We have very, very good first signs already after the launch in the UK. This is going into the installed base of more than 70 million BlackBerry users so we have quite some expectations. We expect several tens of million of units.” ~ BlackBerry CEO,Thorsten Heins' response when asked about how the Q10 is performing during a interview with Bloomberg.

Stupid analysts, always going around screwing up everything. Even while TH & Co were hard at work trying to keep expectations low.
    07-03-13 09:19 AM
    Responding to OP -

1) As an investor - if you really are an investor - you should be glad of this decision, on several levels:
    a) spending time and money enhancing a product that's only sold a couple of million, and has far fewer than that in actual active use, is a bad idea. A much worse idea than some small ill will generated by changing your position after stating you'll deliver.
    b) in spite of what the upset people who feel betrayed will tell you, most people bought the playbook a) without knowing bb10 was coming or b) at firesale prices because cheap tablets are cheap or c) both.
    c) There is a very vocal minority of a few hundred to a few thousand people who feel 'betrayed' by this business decision, but they *are* a minority. Spending time and money to please them is a bad decision - moving on is the right decision.

2) You purchased stocks based on a promise of a specific software update to a specific device? That's... well. Moving on.
    3) Heins has been saying repeatedly that this is the beginning of a long road to recovery. While I personally no longer have a lot of faith that they're going to make it as a major contender, I see that as having been an accurate statement.
    07-03-13 12:52 PM
    He just didn't need to give this guidance, people who long bbry would lose their confidence.

I think the comment on the 2nd quarter counts 15% of the 28% crash of the stock on Friday.
    Maybe people who are long BBRY would understand that this is a marathon and not a race. And I love how you "think comment was 15% of the 28% crash on Friday". You just feel that way or do you actually have proof? Just a gut feeling, eh?

I lost probably the most out of everyone on this board and I'm not mad at Thor for giving us forward guidance. It's VERY common to give guidance for your next quarter.

As an investor we have the right to know how things are going.
    07-03-13 01:49 PM
    You reply with a quote regarding the Q10 when this quarter it only had 1 month of sales from UK and Canada, did you really think the 2 countries combined would sell 10M Q10 phones in 1 month? unlikely.
    Jesus, people are using the "1 month of sells" excuse for bloody everything around here.

I quoted the words of BlackBerry's CEO and President, someone who is evidently so ignorant that he doesn't know how to shut his own mouth. There only being 1 month of sales doesn't change the fact that the manure that oozed from TH's mouth rose expectations. His comments made the stock price rise. They were his words, not the words of analysts. So why are the appoligists saying that analysts were responsible for raising expectations, when obviously TH is at least partially to blame.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-03-13 04:53 PM
27 12