Amazing this was all possible and yet multiple alarms took seven months.

Sent from my beautiful, perfect, white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    That is genuinely funny... :-)
    08-13-13 03:16 PM
    LOL and If Steve Jobs had presented all this the headlines would read "Book your vacations on the moon now!"
    If he had worked on it it would have been available ten days after the presentation and we would not have heard about us leapfrogging Russia and then delayed it twice and then the spaceship would not have bricked at the launch pad.

JeepBB likes this.
    08-13-13 03:16 PM
    The API's are opening for more apps to create notifications in the hub...depends on if they will use them or not. You can of course have CNN or BBC email or text alerts for new stories you follow delivered to the hub that way. Of course sometimes you want the full FB or Twitter experience AND sometimes you don't - just a quick post or reply an move on. Nice to have the option don't you think?
    No. I said I can choose what is visible in iOS notification centre. You said I can choose what is in the hub. I showed examples of what I can see on the notification centre. Not a text, the actual notification.

08-13-13 03:21 PM
    The scenario above exists today is being demo'd and actively worked on. When will it be commercial or mainstream? Not sure, but prototypes have been shown and the "QNX Car platform" won best of show at CES this year.
    iOS in cars will take off faster than QNX ever will.

Everything you said in your 'integrated experience' post can be implemented with iOS or Android much faster than QNX and I bet makers of all those devices and services will be much more willing to work with Apple and Google before BBRY.

BlackBerry needs apps. It needs a tablet. It needs an ecosystem. It needs all of this just to survive before it needs any of the 'integrated living' Elon Muskesque pipe dream.
    08-13-13 03:21 PM
    Ha that's funny....not sure how answering questions and sharing how you see something is a bad thing...but anyway.
    Because you gave theory when I was asking for fact. I was not looking for flights of whimsy. I wanted actual description of actual functionality. Usable.

If we are to engage in theoretical constructs we might as well discuss teleportation.

Possible.

08-13-13 03:24 PM
    <sigh>I'm quite familiar with QNX. And if I wanted to I could get it from Wikipedia.
    Thank You. This is what I was after.
    All doable on any device.
    Which brands of car support this today? I am in the market for a car. Which car supports this?
    This has got to be the most expensive phone accessory ever.
    And this is all possible assuming the device hasn't bricked or rebooted. Additionally I don't want my car door opened my a sensor.
    Which car dies this today?
    I have? On the screen in the car? Which car? Can I get this car today?
    Onstar does this.
    HP iPaq did this circa 2007. Motorola Q too. This is not new
    Not possible in secure buildings.
    Which Panasonic devices support this today? My library automatically syncs on all my devices.

QUOTE]This doesn’t even touch on aerospace, medical, defense, and industrial applications already running QNX(BB). The ability to connect all these dots for an integrated experience is a chip and a putt for Blackberry.
    LOL - well you asked the question, I just provided the info. But seriously cut some slack here...I gave a scenario of the direction they are heading - not what you can get right today. In terms of automotive clients running BB QNX here is a list:
    Automotive Solutions
    This is not an accessory...it is the OS embedded in the control system of your car. If you don’t want a feature then disable it. Funny you mention OnStar...in the GM vehicles it is powered by QNX.

As far as secure buildings, It actually is possible and is being piloted today at many companies including Blackberry at their buildings. Check out HID Global

HID Global launches next-generation NFC access control system &bull; NFC World
    Last edited by jstirtzinger; 08-13-13 at 03:48 PM.
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-13-13 03:36 PM
    Because you gave theory when I was asking for fact. I was not looking for flights of whimsy. I wanted actual description of actual functionality. Usable.

If we are to engage in theoretical constructs we might as well discuss teleportation.

Possible.

That's not fair. You asked about mobile computing vision...and so I tried to describe it with technology pieces that actually exist are being demo'd or are foreseeable in the relatively near future. This was not theoretical like teleportation.
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-13-13 03:40 PM
    iOS in cars will take off faster than QNX ever will.
    Really? Hmmm guess they had better get going because the race has started already. :-) Check this link...
    Automotive Solutions

I believe they will have connectivity capabilities and apps in the car, but I doubt the entire control system would be iOS based. Certainly Apple understands the BB QNX footprint here and the integrated mobility experience benefits which is why they announced wanting to do something with Honda in 2014.
    08-13-13 03:41 PM
    If he had worked on it it would have been available ten days after the presentation and we would not have heard about us leapfrogging Russia and then delayed it twice and then the spaceship would not have bricked at the launch pad.

But you couldn't get a signal back to Earth if you held the teleporter too tightly and you couldn't copy and paste the coordinates for a return trip until some much later update. (I like this analogy!) :-)
    08-13-13 03:55 PM
    But you couldn't get a signal back to Earth if you held the teleporter too tightly and you couldn't copy and paste the coordinates for a return trip until some much later update. (I like this analogy!) :-)
    That would have only been the iMooner1. The prototype for heat shield development.

Updates would have come in iterative releases to make a fully operational iMooner3S that would have deployed to Mt Everest as a test flight.

08-13-13 04:08 PM
    That's not fair. You asked about mobile computing vision...and so I tried to describe it with technology pieces that actually exist are being demo'd or are foreseeable in the relatively near future. This was not theoretical like teleportation.
    Hhhhhmmmm.....disagree. Look back if you'd like.

08-13-13 04:10 PM
    LOL - well you asked the question, I just provided the info. But seriously cut some slack here...I gave a scenario of the direction they are heading - not what you can get right today. In terms of automotive clients running BB QNX here is a list:
    Automotive Solutions
    This is not an accessory...it is the OS embedded in the control system of your car. If you don�t want a feature then disable it. Funny you mention OnStar...in the GM vehicles it is powered by QNX.

As far as secure buildings, It actually is possible and is being piloted today at many companies including Blackberry at their buildings. Check out HID Global

HID Global launches next-generation NFC access control system � NFC World
    I can't dissect right now, but secure buildings of the kind I work do not allow the use of an NFC capable phone.

Should've added for entry.

08-13-13 04:12 PM
    Is the Volvo XC70 listed?

08-13-13 04:13 PM
    What makes anyone in their right mind think Z10 is inferior to the other phones? Really what do the other phones do that the Z10/Q10 can't do? And please don't talk about apps; how many apps can you load on your phone or play if you have a real life. Don't spew nonsense just for the sake of it. History always repeats itself; Apple will NOT stay #1 forever. Apple, Chrysler etc have fumbled before and are now profitable; BlackBerry fumbled too and is now working hard to right the ship. Its nothing new!!!
    BB10 platform rocks!
    Last edited by wincyUt; 08-13-13 at 04:34 PM.
    jstirtzinger, Forj77 and sf49ers like this.
    08-13-13 04:19 PM
    What makes you think Z10 is inferior to the other phones? Back it up with facts. Really what do the other phones do that the Z10/Q10 can't do? Don't spew nonsense just for the sake of it. History always repeats itself; Apple will NOT stay #1 forever.
    Who are you addressing, love?

How about if I give you two, right off the top of my hear without thinking....have nine active apps and have two apps running concurrently in the same screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-13-13 at 04:51 PM.
    08-13-13 04:25 PM
    Getting back on point ... no the news is not all bad. In fact there was no news at all. There was absolutely nothing new revealed in the last two days that hasn't already been known (and reacted to in the same manner in the market, in the media, and in these forums) for well over a year. In fact this is the third time.

BBRY -- then RIMM -- announced some 18 months ago that they were consulting with investment banks to explore strategic options. And there was much rejoicing, for surely the end of BlackBerry was near.

Several months later Thor reiterated that the company was continuing to work with investment banks to explore strategic options. And there was again much rejoicing, because the media and the idiots who follow their every word with bated breath can barely see three months into the future or remember past last week; and for those who did remember, surely this time the end of BlackBerry was near.

Yesterday BBRY announced the formation of an executive-level committee to -- wait for it -- explore strategic options. Just as they did some 18 months ago, those options include -- among others -- partnerships, licensing agreements, taking the company private, or putting the company up for sale. In true drama-craving fashion, the media has chosen to focus on and rejoice over the last option as if it were the only option because, at long last, it would be the long awaited and oft-predicted death of the BlackBerry, and the almighty armchair CEO's will finally be vindicated.

It brings me so much joy to continue to use the device that I prefer because it still works best for me and be a part of this dedicated and all-knowing community. No wait, it makes me want to puke.
    jstirtzinger and drewread like this.
    08-13-13 04:37 PM
    It was eminently fair. Your posts here indicate that you're a bit of a dreamer without a grounding in reality. You're great on theory but I sure as hell wouldn't want you running the company.
    m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    08-13-13 04:41 PM
    Getting back on point ... no the news is not all bad. In fact there was no news at all. There was absolutely nothing new revealed in the last two days that hasn't already been known (and reacted to in the same manner in the market, in the media, and in these forums) for well over a year. In fact this is the third time.

BBRY -- then RIMM -- announced some 18 months ago that they were consulting with investment banks to explore strategic options. And there was much rejoicing, for surely the end of BlackBerry was near.

Several months later Thor reiterated that the company was continuing to work with investment banks to explore strategic options. And there was again much rejoicing, because the media and the idiots who follow their every word with bated breath can barely see three months into the future or remember past last week; and for those who did remember, surely this time the end of BlackBerry was near.

Yesterday BBRY announced the formation of an executive-level committee to -- wait for it -- explore strategic options. Just as they did some 18 months ago, those options include -- among others -- partnerships, licensing agreements, taking the company private, or putting the company up for sale. In true drama-craving fashion, the media has chosen to focus on and rejoice over the last option as if it were the only option because, at long last, it would be the long awaited and oft-predicted death of the BlackBerry, and the almighty armchair CEO's will finally be vindicated.

It brings me so much joy to continue to use the device that I prefer because it still works best for me and be a part of this dedicated and all-knowing community. No wait, it makes me want to puke.
    Snuggles!!!!!! You've come to play too?!!?!?

Except that you know I have had concerns about the viability of BlackBerry but NEVER have I rejoiced over their problems. Let's remember that, love.
    08-13-13 04:47 PM
    It was eminently fair. Your posts here indicate that you're a bit of a dreamer without a grounding in reality. You're great on theory but I sure as hell wouldn't want you running the company.
    Funny, I always thought the best companies were the ones that dreamed big and had a vision. Gotta look up and ahead to know where you want to go or else you'll trip and fall or hit a wall you didn't see coming. :-)

That's one thing the old BlackBerry leadership lost - vision past the next handset.

Posted via CB10
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-13-13 04:49 PM
    Funny, I always thought the best companies were the ones that dreamed big and had a vision. Gotta look up and ahead to know where you want to go or else you'll trip and fall or hit a wall you didn't see coming. :-)

That's one thing the old BlackBerry leadership lost - vision past the next handset.

Posted via CB10
    There. I agree completely and absolutely with that.
    jstirtzinger and Josh Ponte like this.
    08-13-13 04:52 PM
    What makes anyone in their right mind think Z10 is inferior to the other phones? Really what do the other phones do that the Z10/Q10 can't do? And please don't talk about apps; how many apps can you load on your phone or play if you have a real life. Don't spew nonsense just for the sake of it. History always repeats itself; Apple will NOT stay #1 forever. Apple, Chrysler etc have fumbled before and are now profitable; BlackBerry fumbled too and is now working hard to right the ship. Its nothing new!!!
    BB10 platform rocks!
    Before you continue, please read my previous response to get an idea of where I'm coming from. I agree with you, and it does this old aching heart good to see a few more optimistic die-hards such as yourself in the midst of this newly revitalized cesspool of doom-and-gloom.

Now to answer your question, the phone itself is not inferior. In fact I think many would agree that the phone and the OS are as good as just about anything else out there. The problem is with the platform right now and getting people to buy into it to create an atmosphere where the ecosystem can flourish. That won't happen with the dismal market share BB10 is currently commanding. 'All those apps' that people keep screaming about -- maybe you don't need them, and I know I don't need most of them -- are what's needed to just gain even a little interest in the platform. Beyond that, there needs to be something to lure some of all those millions of users of other platforms to this one. So far there's been nothing to make consumers say "I've got to have that!"

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that BlackBerry is continuing to fumble with the BB10 rollout -- Thor as much as admitted it himself at the last earnings call. This is hardly the time for that team to be learning on the job. The brand is currently getting steamrolled from every direction, and the sailing isn't going to get any smoother. I have had the utmost in confidence in Thor and his team, but each passing quarter brings more deterioration to that confidence, to the point that I have serious doubts that anyone there knows how to turn this around. And everybody tap-dancing on the grave that hasn't even been dug yet does little to improve my frame of mind.

Yes, it can be done. No, all hope is not lost. And these great revelations of the past 48 hours mean next to nothing -- good or bad. As you said, there's nothing new here.
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    08-13-13 04:53 PM
    Snuggles!!!!!! You've come to play too?!!?!?

Except that you know I have had concerns about the viability of BlackBerry but NEVER have I rejoiced over their problems. Let's remember that, love.
    Yes, it's been quite a joyous day.

And worry not, I don't include you among those partaking of the revelry. And I know you've had concerns about the future of the company for quite awhile now. But this revitalized end-of-the-world mentality around here has just about pushed me to the brink.
    Forj77 likes this.
    08-13-13 04:56 PM
    There seems to be quite a bit of that. I'm a BB fan, but I want some of my money back.
    08-13-13 04:57 PM
    There seems to be quite a bit of that. I'm a BB fan, but I want some of my money back.
    I'm a BB fan, and I just want the company to be around next time I'm in the market for a new phone, because I have zero desire to switch to anything else. Period.

Yes, I've seen everything else. And the more I see of it, the more I want my BB.
    Forj77 likes this.
    08-13-13 04:59 PM
    For the consumer-facing heavy lifting such as voice recognition, internet access, and maps, I'm betting that the smartphone will be doing it with an interface to the car display/audio via bluetooth well before QNX learns how to do this. The smartphones are already doing it. Plus the tendency for car makers to want to charge $2000 for a nav/stereo system will ensure that most people will access these functions via their smartphones. Sorry but my smartphone does this better than QNX and probably always will.
    08-13-13 05:25 PM
142 12345 ...