Remember the late 80s / early 90s there was this previously successful company that lost its way and fell on hard times...they resurrected themselves did they not? apple.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 06:30 PM
    I like your attitude

The more I think about it, the better I think this could turn out. I won't pretend to know all the answers or to be able to think up the perfect solution, but this could be a positive reinvention of BB. This could be what allows them to shine again.
    08-12-13 06:47 PM
    But Thorsten is a pale shadow of Steve Jobs and BB10 didn't bring anything new to the market.
    pillswoj likes this.
    08-12-13 06:54 PM
    It CAN be done!
    Apps!!! Apps and more Apps from the big guys. NetFlix, Pandora, Zynga.

A commercial that says...Play Words with Friends on your new Blackberry Q10 ? Check!

Epic win!
    08-12-13 06:57 PM
    But Thorsten is a pale shadow of Steve Jobs and BB10 didn't bring anything new to the market.
    I agree with Steve Jobs comment but very much disagree with the nothing new comment.

- unified full messaging action hub not just unified notifications.
    - peak and flow gestures with real time consecutive multi-tasking
    - wireless file mgmt like a NAS
    - ability to load apps from 2 different ecosystems.
    - Screen sharing
    - time shift feature to combine multiple exposures into one consolidated image.

To name a few.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 07:08 PM
    I agree with Steve Jobs comment but very much disagree with the nothing new comment.

- Screen sharing

To name a few.

Posted via CB10
    I mean new as the iPhone was in 2007.
    08-12-13 07:14 PM
    I mean new as the iPhone was in 2007.
    Not sure that is possible right now...the mobile device space is pretty saturated and "innovation" is defined as more of the same but bigger or faster or odd device configurations. (41 MP camera...really?)

BlackBerry is trying to truly be innovative with the first OS that can truly deliver integrated mobility outside just a device but the narrow minds in the market only think in terms of "handsets". The market won't buy in to that narrative. That's where a Steve Jobs distortion field personality is required.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman, xRuhRohx and mujahid 10 like this.
    08-12-13 07:43 PM
    Today's news is GREAT. Part of the master plan to conquer the whole mobile phone business. Again. BlackBerry will be no one before I know it. Look around, speak to people u know. They either have the new BlackBerry or r thinking of getting it. Who wants a phone cluttered with useless apps. BlackBerry will be no one before u know it.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 07:46 PM
    BlackBerry is trying to truly be innovative with the first OS that can truly deliver integrated mobility outside just a device but the narrow minds in the market only think in terms of "handsets".
    What a ridiculous statement.

People aren't going to buy a product today because of some vague pie-in-the-sky vision of the future a company has. They buy a product for what it offers today - and BB10 doesn't offer as much as the competition today. You're talking like a fanboy and/or investor - not like a real consumer who has no vested interest in the company.

If Blackberry thinks their idea of "mobile computing" will sell - then release it. Otherwise, they're just offering a "me too" device that doesn't stack up against the competition.
    08-12-13 07:51 PM
    Today's news is GREAT. Part of the master plan to conquer the whole mobile phone business. Again. BlackBerry will be no one before I know it. Look around, speak to people u know. They either have the new BlackBerry or r thinking of getting it. Who wants a phone cluttered with useless apps. BlackBerry will be no one before u know it.

Posted via CB10
    I like blackberry as much as the next guy but what kind of parallel universe do you live in? I think before the number 1 talk happens, they need to right the ship first and find a solution to their current problems.

Posted via Z10
    08-12-13 07:51 PM
    Today's news is not bad. Partnering/ privatization may not be a bad thing. It would be a good thing to get the weight of Wall Street off of BlackBerry's shoulders.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 07:53 PM
    This is bad because it's a distraction from the business of running a smartphone company. Imagine what it does to the corporate sales efforts. "No, we don't have any idea who will buy us or if we will be broken up. It could be one of your chief competitors in any number of countries. Now let's talk about a big deployment and a five year service agreement."
    08-12-13 07:54 PM
    Because after being fired by the board, Steve Jobs was asked to come back, are they gonna ask the two former co- coes to return, I think not

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and m1a1mg like this.
    08-12-13 07:55 PM
    What a ridiculous statement.

People aren't going to buy a product today because of some vague pie-in-the-sky vision of the future a company has. They buy a product for what it offers today - and BB10 doesn't offer as much as the competition today. You're talking like a fanboy and/or investor - not like a real consumer who has no vested interest in the company.

If Blackberry thinks their idea of "mobile computing" will sell - then release it. Otherwise, they're just offering a "me too" device that doesn't stack up against the competition.
    I disagree...it is about establishing a new technological beachhead through the power and reach of QNX...they have demo'd concepts and roadmap statements....if it was Steve Jobs saying "imagine if and when...this is what we are building" there would be endless commentaries about how innovative and visionary this bold direction will be. Now it is a stupid specs race with no context around the fact that hardware specs in isolation of OS integration and efficiency is a useless data point plus all the overly dramatic and provocative headlines.
    08-12-13 08:10 PM
    I disagree...it is about establishing a new technological beachhead through the power and reach of QNX...they have demo'd concepts and roadmap statements....if it was Steve Jobs saying "imagine if and when...this is what we are building" there would be endless commentaries about how innovative and visionary this bold direction will be. Now it is a stupid specs race with no context around the fact that hardware specs in isolation of OS integration and efficiency is a useless data point plus all the overly dramatic and provocative headlines.
    You said you 'disagree' with the post you quoted, but then your rebuttal veers off track. The guy whose post you quoted probably wouldn't disagree with all the theory you're talking about.

What he's saying is 'whether it's a stupid specs race or not, BBRY tried to position the reinvigorated company as a viable competitor in the handset market as it exists right now, not in some theoretical future where QNX controls everything from your car to your toaster. They tried and so far, they're not making it'.

The best thing that could possibly happen to BBRY is that they get acquired by a private equity firm, but only if that firm doesn't intend to just break the company up and realize a profit. Unfortunately, that's what private equity firms do.
    Last edited by mset; 08-12-13 at 08:52 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-12-13 08:30 PM
    Because after being fired by the board, Steve Jobs was asked to come back, are they gonna ask the two former co- coes to return, I think not
    Steve Jobs was not asked to come back. He was part of the 1996 $427 million deal when Apple bought NeXT, which evolved into OS X. Apple didn't want Jobs, but Jobs said no deal if he wasn't part of the package. Jobs was brought in a consultant. He eventually became iCEO (Interim) then dropped the i in 2000.

Jobs also repositioned Apple from a computer company to a consumer electronics company. He conceded the enterprise to Microsoft and focused on consumer products.

He had a plan, but nobody at Apple would listen. This was his only way back to Apple.
    danprown likes this.
    08-12-13 08:36 PM
    The difference is Apple delivers TODAY... Blackberry does not.

The iPhone is owned by a HUGE amount of people and most are happy - so when Apple gives a vision of their future, people listen because they trust Apple (which doesn't guarantee future success though).

So people today are looking at BB10 today and are saying "so what? I can get that and so much more with Apple/Android". But you expect them to think "hmmm... the product isn't very good... but I like Blackberry's vision for mobile computing, so I'll just go ahead and buy this inferior Z10 and any other phone Blackberry releases up until they finally deliver on that future vision." ?

The saying "a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" really plays a factor here.
    kbz1960, Coachbulldog and JeepBB like this.
    08-12-13 08:36 PM
    Hey ray689.
    I was being sarcastic. It's all over but the crying. Someone will buy the parts of BlackBerry that r worth something. Qnx and bis and that'll be the end.
    Only slight hope is if samsung buys BlackBerry. They're looking for an operating system so they can be independent of Android and they're trying to be more secure for business and government communication. So I'd say it makes sense for samsung to buy BlackBerry but I'm not a businessman and don't know all the numbers.
    But the big question is what happens to us and our phones. Will their be a BlackBerry 10.2? How bout updates for our apps or new apps. How long do us loyal subjects have left. 6 months? One year. Can we sell our phones on Craigslist for any value. ? I feel like for my loyalty and patriotism I'm getn it up the rear end here!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:35 PM
    Hey ray689.
    I was being sarcastic. It's all over but the crying. Someone will buy the parts of BlackBerry that r worth something. Qnx and bis and that'll be the end.
    Only slight hope is if samsung buys BlackBerry. They're looking for an operating system so they can be independent of Android and they're trying to be more secure for business and government communication. So I'd say it makes sense for samsung to buy BlackBerry but I'm not a businessman and don't know all the numbers.
    But the big question is what happens to us and our phones. Will their be a BlackBerry 10.2? How bout updates for our apps or new apps. How long do us loyal subjects have left. 6 months? One year. Can we sell our phones on Craigslist for any value. ? I feel like for my loyalty and patriotism I'm getn it up the rear end here!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I had a feeling that might have been sarcasm but hard tell on the Internet when someone is being sarcastic or delusional. I stand corrected .

Posted via Z10
    08-12-13 10:42 PM
    The difference is Apple delivers TODAY... Blackberry does not.

The iPhone is owned by a HUGE amount of people and most are happy - so when Apple gives a vision of their future, people listen because they trust Apple (which doesn't guarantee future success though).

So people today are looking at BB10 today and are saying "so what? I can get that and so much more with Apple/Android". But you expect them to think "hmmm... the product isn't very good... but I like Blackberry's vision for mobile computing, so I'll just go ahead and buy this inferior Z10 and any other phone Blackberry releases up until they finally deliver on that future vision." ?

The saying "a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" really plays a factor here.
    But here's the rub...I don't think the devices are inferior at all in very important ways. I just don't think they are being given a chance and all the insanely negative and provocative headlines are not helping. I know 4 people in my circle that switched from iPhones and actually really like BB10. Now they are not Vine or Snapchat teenagers they are adults but nonetheless they would not have otherwise even looked at it had they have not received demos from me or played around with mine and now they find going back to their iPhones a frustrating experience. (messaging efficiency, flow, quick access, typing accuracy, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-13-13 06:24 AM
    But here's the rub...I don't think the devices are inferior at all in very important ways. I just don't think they are being given a chance and all the insanely negative and provocative headlines are not helping. I know 4 people in my circle that switched from iPhones and actually really like BB10. Now they are not Vine or Snapchat teenagers they are adults but nonetheless they would not have otherwise even looked at it had they have not received demos from me or played around with mine and now they find going back to their iPhones a frustrating experience. (messaging efficiency, flow, quick access, typing accuracy, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    Apps apps apps... think that is enough for ppl to call BB an inferior product. App brings function to the phone. its like you install Window and have nothing inside. you think Window will still be this popular? Unless BB brings the app nothing will change. App is probably the top of the list on ppl's reason to not switch. ppl don't care about this mobile computing crap. i don't even think Thors knows what the hell he is talking about. Who know's whats mobile computing?
    Coachbulldog and danprown like this.
    08-13-13 09:54 AM
    But here's the rub...I don't think the devices are inferior at all in very important ways. I just don't think they are being given a chance

Posted via CB10
    In market terms that is the same thing - you are talking about technical merits, the only thing that actually matters is sales (especially in mobile where the network effect is as important if not more so that the physical device itself) - they don't sell - the reasons are up for discussion but it still means they don't sell - and that's is the only really important thing.
    08-13-13 09:57 AM
    It CAN be done!
    Apps!!! Apps and more Apps from the big guys. NetFlix, Pandora, Zynga.

A commercial that says...Play Words with Friends on your new Blackberry Q10 ? Check!

Epic win!
    Right.

One word.

Instagram?
    JeepBB and xRuhRohx like this.
    08-13-13 10:01 AM
    Not sure that is possible right now...the mobile device space is pretty saturated and "innovation" is defined as more of the same but bigger or faster or odd device configurations. (41 MP camera...really?)

BlackBerry is trying to truly be innovative with the first OS that can truly deliver integrated mobility outside just a device but the narrow minds in the market only think in terms of "handsets". The market won't buy in to that narrative. That's where a Steve Jobs distortion field personality is required.

Posted via CB10
    What is integrated mobility and why is it that only BlackBerry has it? Is this related to mobile computing? What exactly is that and why doesn't anyone else has it? Kindly quote me if you respond so that my phone can alert me that you quoted me.
    danprown and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-13-13 10:07 AM

- Screen sharing

To name a few.

Posted via CB10
    I would not consider the bolded piece as a feature. It's actually a work around due to the very real and painful fact that BlackBerry hasn't got enough native apps and so this workaround was exploited so that end users could pooch apps off Android.

On the first bolded, how is the hub different from the notifications centre in my stock SGIII on 4.1.2? Or my iPhone 5, for that matter?

And do you realise that you are comparing a new OS to one OS that have been in the market for over a year? Let's discuss iOS7 when it comes out and how those notifications are handled. As it is, right now, it's six of one half dozen of the other.....the notifications in my iPhone serve me just as well as the hub.

Peek and flow....yup....that was innovative....for WebOS....

For ,multitasking.....I can have two apps running concurrently on the same screen at the same time. So I can grab and address from an email put it in google maps run the navigation do a screenshot and send it right back via email. Or I can take data from a spreadsheet and plug into another spreadsheet right on the same screen. That's multitasking. On BB10 I am limited to eight active windows then the system closes one. Not good multitasking for my use.

As far as time shift, Android has its own solution. With a superior camera to begin with, for my taste.

Not sure what you mean by wireless file management.
    08-13-13 10:10 AM
142 123 ...