still people have earned millions and billions of dollars in tech shares ,its a game which has to be played smartly,some do some lose
    10-02-13 02:19 PM
    The main thing is don't take stock advice from fan forums - the main messages people got here on the stock threads were:

* Z10 is selling like hot-cakes
    * Sales could go as high as 20 million unit per year and 30 million is certainly possible
    * Heins is a visionary who's fast-talk about hyper-mobile-prosumer-enterprise-widget-trons makes a lot of sense
    * Nobody cares about apps
    * I've seen three people at Blackberry's waterloo HQ using a blackberry so it's clear that everyone has blackberries
    * People are turning away from Android and iOS in droves and turning to Blackberry
    * Stock is sure to go to at least $30 put $100 is around the corner
    * anyone who sounds any note of caution is a troll, ignore them and make sure you put all your money in the stock
    * Here's a chart, sure my chart was wrong yesterday and the day before and the day before that but it will be right today, when it's not just forget about it and I'll knock up a new one tomorrow.
    10-02-13 02:25 PM
    Don't EVER take any advice from Seeking Alpha. You need zero credentials to be "published" there. It is not a good site for investment advice. Cancel your news feed, you'd be better off going to Starbucks and asking around.
    What is your go-to site for stock picks/advice?
    10-02-13 02:48 PM
    The main thing is don't take stock advice from fan forums - the main messages people got here on the stock threads were:

* Sales could go as high as 20 million unit per year and 30 million is certainly possible
    * Heins is a visionary who's fast-talk about hyper-mobile-prosumer-enterprise-widget-trons makes a lot of sense
    * I've seen three people at Blackberry's waterloo HQ using a blackberry so it's clear that everyone has blackberries
    * People are turning away from Android and iOS in droves and turning to Blackberry
    * anyone who sounds any note of caution is a troll, ignore them and make sure you put all your money in the stock
    * Here's a chart, sure my chart was wrong yesterday and the day before and the day before that but it will be right today, when it's not just forget about it and I'll knock up a new one tomorrow.
    lol...pretty much sums these forums. In the last 3 years nothing really came out of BB - yet most major manufactures are already on their 3-4th gen devices.
    10-02-13 03:05 PM
    LOL CGK. Anytime you hear someone day "[my favorite OS] is hands down the most efficient and versatile OS out there", that usually means it will be discontinued within 12 months.

I also like the one where "I was showing my [favorite OS] to a co-worker and he was totally amazed and was practically running to the carrier store to exchange his current smartphone.

The serial single-factor dismissal - "iOS is stale, Android is a fragmented mess, Windows Phone can't get traction with the carriers so, therefore, BB10 will probably take over."

When the stock goes up, it's always because smart investors are finally seeing the company's potential. When it goes down, it's always market manipulation by those evil shorts that ganged up to destroy Blackberry.
    10-02-13 03:48 PM

LOL, classic post!
    10-02-13 07:07 PM
    Kevin oleary said, when it was $6 that it would only go up about a buck. I thought it'd hit $15 to $16. I was gonna it last fall and sell it after launch. I didn't. Kevin oleary was wrong about the stock. So were you.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:13 PM
    The other lesson is to try not to get too much information from sites that naturally hype the stock. The main BBRY thread here is called "I support BBRY and I buy shares !" and they stick with this theme religiously. The shares are purchased primarily to support the company and, less importantly, to make a good investment. The purpose of the discussion it to support BBRY. Anything to the contrary is generally off topic and isn't tolerated.

It's not a good place to get a feel for what the stock will really do. In fact, it's an awful place to do that.
    So true. I've bought shares (and still hold) and that thread is one that I really like and I do most of my posting there. But it was a total echo chamber of fanboy ism. It was not a great thread for amatures. This was a win or lose stock. Only dramatic results were in play. I thought that the market for smartphones was so huge and that some niche of that market would always buy qwerty. I thought that would be enough. So far I seem to be wrong.
    10-02-13 07:15 PM

I also like the one where "I was showing my [favorite OS] to a co-worker and he was totally amazed and was practically running to the carrier store to exchange his current smartphone.

I always like those stories "I was talking to a man at the urinal and I got out my z30 to show him and he was really impressed, he nodded politely and said he must rush off to buy one - nice guy".
    10-03-13 03:00 AM
    They can't do that buddy...not legal

Posted via CB10
    What is not legal?

Fairfax lowering the offer or possible even walking away - it's in the agreement they signed.

Or the going Bankrupt and shutting down everything including their network which would effective render any device or application that uses the NOC useless. When you run out of money and can't meet your obligation (by many accounts 6 - 12 months), you fill bankruptcy and shut down. Unless restructuring would be an option and for BB is wouldn't - their whole business model in collapsing on them.

Either is a VERY real possibility at this point, I don't personally think either will happen. But I don't ignore the real and present danger that threatens anyone that is a shareholder, device owner, of just a fan.
    10-03-13 08:44 AM
    You've gotta learn that the markets react differently to tech stocks.. buy a week before an announcement and sell just before it..

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 09:01 AM
    Wrong.

To the OP, the markets tend to teach expensive lessons. See if your method is a winner and then maybe go live again.
    Wow what brilliant advice. Do you know what the definition of outlier is you paper trading Dinosaur?

Trying to apply methodology to an outlier is nothing more than gambling. Go back and hit the books.
    10-03-13 09:43 AM

lol, I would also add:
    - BB10 was launched with the most apps out of any OS in the history of the world!
    - BB10 is way more advanced at 6 months old compared to IOS and Android at the same age
    - Current earnings report did not include full three months of sales for (insert model here) and therefore next quarter will be better
    - BlackBerry has NO debt, omg that is amazing!
    - BlackBerry has 3 billion in cash, that will sustain them long into the future
    - All it takes is for a massive virus to hit Apple and Android, which will cause people to start buying BlackBerrys instead
    - QNX's stability and multitasking will outperform the competition
    - Specs are meaningless, in fact it is better to have lower screen resolution because this uses less battery power
    - BES sales are actually ok, since blackberry did not release the sales numbers and you cannot prove otherwise
    - xBBM will be a smashing success and lift the company
    cgk and Etios like this.
    10-04-13 04:01 AM
    I always like those stories "I was talking to a man at the urinal and I got out my z30 to show him and he was really impressed, he nodded politely and said he must rush off to buy one - nice guy".
    I also like:

"Stock went down 25% in the last week, #!@*!! shorters!!!! Typical haters and naysayers, looking at a little dip because of shorters and hysterical media, when the trend is CLEAR: BB is on a rocket-ride to the moon! They will overtake Apple in marketshare probably by the end of the year, next year for sure. We aren't playing the shorters game, we're LONG TERM....BEEEELLIEEEBBBEERRRR!!!!!"

"stock went up 12 cents at close today, how you like that?? Love seeing the shorters humilated...probably crying right now, and soiling their pants!!! Just goes to show that those short term dips don't matter!"

OP, I applaud your honesty....harsh lesson, but admitting it means you learned something, and saying it publicly means your a secure person without a huge ego.

Of course, this isn't the place (as a whole) for advice or for a clear perspective, and especially not for investing! I posted a few times in a couple days in that truly idiotic "support BB buy shares" thread....couldn't stand it anymore, and knew it was hopeless. I had never seen such a combination of fanboyism, irrational and inconsistent reasoning when it comes to money!!!

You can see in this thread alone, a few posters who would have been well worth listening to, but of course, the problem is, being able to identify who they are a priori!
    Etios and techvisor like this.
    10-04-13 05:02 AM
    I've learned my lesson. I kick myself for buying into all the hype about BB10, the Thor, the Z10 etc. reading posts on an online forum. At this point I will gladly take the $9 offer for my BBRY shares and cut my losses. My Seeking Alpha feed for BBRY sounds like an obituary; every new article paints a picture much worse than the previous. The only silver lining is that I am relatively young and still have time to make up the losses.

My advice - Only way to invest in stocks is to do your due diligence based on fundamentals, not hype. You want to invest in speculative stocks, set aside a fixed amount as 'play money' separate from your regular portfolio....something you are okay losing and not losing sleep over.
    Congratulations. You have learned a valuable lesson. If you had believed all the hype(BS) in these forums, you probably would have lost everything. All websites are somewhat slanted in favor of one product or another, but here, the slant is unbelieveable. The word "Lemming" comes to mind.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-04-13 07:40 AM
    I hear you...at $9 I will have lost $32K and it wasn't play money. Luckily I've made money on other stocks but overall I haven't made any money in the stock market over the last 12 years. Nortel and now BlackBerry...I can really pick em! I've got to learn to cut my losses at 20% instead of averaging down.

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    10-04-13 06:32 PM
    I get a laugh from all the "I told you so's, "I tried to warn people" types....their negative never ending FUD spreading posts helped create the negative story...they are in part responsible for the thousands of lay off and your losses..
    But hey...their egos are such that it's obviously some fans on a fans sites fault....good grief.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 07:21 PM
    Darn Shane, just getting all nasty lately. People like your little friends in the "I support" thread thrashed more good people, who just tried to put forward an alternate theory, than any of the trolls did. Sometimes comeuppance is hard to swallow. Like crow.
    Not sure why your going there, I wasn't.
    I was talking about a couple "members" who have posted negative FUD all over CB for the past year or more....context bud, it's all in the context.

Posted via CB10

Edit...and it is entirely true that folks that constantly post negative crap have contributed to the problem...keep your head in the sand if you want, call it "tough love" if you want but fact is folks researching their next purchase read that crap...nuff said

Sorry if it comes off as nasty but it bugs the heck out of me that BlackBerry is going down because, in part, of negative posts on sites like this. Has zero to do with the stock...
    10-04-13 08:26 PM
    I just deleted my stuff. Not looking for a fight.
    Last edited by m1a1mg; 10-04-13 at 08:49 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    10-04-13 08:31 PM
    Likewise.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 10-05-13 at 08:23 AM.
    10-04-13 08:34 PM
    That's what I said in 2000 after initially killing with tech and then taking it in the behind. And 10 years later when I invested in another tech company, I took it in the behind for round 2.

Even people who know what they are doing take huge losses from time to time. I also believe its a gamed system with plenty of insider trading that just isn't caught or exposed.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    10-04-13 08:35 PM
    If you think that negative posts on this site have anything at all to do, at all, with the share price of BBRY then you don't really understand the stock market. I can't imagine any market-moving investor paying attention to anything that appears on this forum. This forum doesn't break investor news nor does it host any influential opinions.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-05-13 01:33 AM
    If you think that negative posts on this site have anything at all to do, at all, with the share price of BBRY then you don't really understand the stock market. I can't imagine any market-moving investor paying attention to anything that appears on this forum. This forum doesn't break investor news nor does it host any influential opinions.
    So myself and my circle of friends are the only ones that search the Web for reviews and or fan site opinions before purchasing something? Do you really believe negative spin does not effect sales? 700.00 dollars is significant outlay for allot of people...they research before their purchase...to suggest otherwise makes zero sense to me. Spin works...just ask a politician.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 08:21 AM
    Opinions about a company's products on a forum simply are not going to move share price in any noticeable way. Take cross-platform BBM, for example. In these parts, it's a Hail-Mary pass - something that everyone is waiting for to see if the company can survive (see the I support BBRY thread). However, when you read news articles about the future of BBRY, FF, etc. it's never mentioned as a factor at all.

The runup to XBBM and failed launch is a cataclysmic event here that probably prompted thousands of posts. In the real world, especially the investment world, it doesn't even merit a mention.

Real investors (not the ones that "support BBRY") care about cash flow, earnings, acquisitions, management changes, forecasts, sales figures, competition, etc.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-05-13 09:00 AM
49 12