I've learned my lesson. I kick myself for buying into all the hype about BB10, the Thor, the Z10 etc. reading posts on an online forum. At this point I will gladly take the $9 offer for my BBRY shares and cut my losses. My Seeking Alpha feed for BBRY sounds like an obituary; every new article paints a picture much worse than the previous. The only silver lining is that I am relatively young and still have time to make up the losses.

My advice - Only way to invest in stocks is to do your due diligence based on fundamentals, not hype. You want to invest in speculative stocks, set aside a fixed amount as 'play money' separate from your regular portfolio....something you are okay losing and not losing sleep over.
    richardat and Taigatrommel like this.
    10-02-13 09:55 AM
    I've learned my lesson. I kick myself for buying into all the hype about BB10, the Thor, the Z10 etc. reading posts on an online forum. At this point I will gladly take the $9 offer for my BBRY shares and cut my losses. My Seeking Alpha feed for BBRY sounds like an obituary; every new article paints a picture much worse than the previous. The only silver lining is that I am relatively young and still have time to make up the losses.

My advice - Only way to invest in stocks is to do your due diligence based on fundamentals, not hype. You want to invest in speculative stocks, set aside a fixed amount as 'play money' separate from your regular portfolio....something you are okay losing and not losing sleep over.
    My lesson learned has been.. no matter how good you think the product is.. if the street and the media don't like it.. then it's most likely to tank.

Also, the media and the street may have their own agenda and may not necessarily relate directly to the product.
    10-02-13 09:58 AM
    I still hope $9 is in store for you. I really do.
    Fuzzballz, boi2012 and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 10:18 AM
    No shame in betting on an outlier company and loosing.

If you had hit it big (a la Apple) everyone would be patting you on the back and claiming you're a genius.
    10-02-13 10:33 AM
    The stock is in freefall as I write this. You might be looking at $6 by the end of the week.
    10-02-13 10:56 AM
    I have a chart somewhere that will support your conclusions OP... now where did I put that chart?
    10-02-13 10:57 AM

i dont think anyone was hyping it up beside ppl on CB. if you read any outside news it should have given you a pretty good idea that the company was going downhill.
    boi2012, Bbnivende and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 11:10 AM
    My feeling is it will hit below 6 fairly soon and Fairfax will either adjust price offer or walk away.

At least 50% chance BlackBerry will self implode. I hope I can use my BlackBerry phone for at least a year more before their servers got shut down. BBM, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Protect, App World, and PB video chat are likely to go forever into history book. Sad.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:11 AM
    I learned the same lesson as a young investor in 2000. For about three years, I thought I had some kind of knack for stock picking. I took whatever gains I had and rolled it into larger positions. Then the tech bubble burst and I lost a bunch.

Everyone has to go through it. People get hurt a little or a lot simply based on timing. It's such a sucker game because you make bigger and bigger bets parlaying your gains until it inevitably falls apart.

Believe me, you will look back at it as a relatively cheap education one day. I'm very thankful for the tech bust of 2000. I have exactly 0.3 percent of my portfolio in BBRY which is about the most I was willing to speculate with.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    10-02-13 11:19 AM

If you had hit it big (a la Apple) everyone would be patting you on the back and claiming you're a genius.
    Well...I did...I bought 5000 at 10$ last year and sold at 15 in January ...that is 25k for 3 months of my time! I can't get this in anything else than thech

Posted via CB10
    milo53 and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 11:20 AM
    My feeling is it will hit below 6 fairly soon and Fairfax will either adjust price offer or walk away.

At least 50% chance BlackBerry will self implode. I hope I can use my BlackBerry phone for at least a year more before their servers got shut down. BBM, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Protect, App World, and PB video chat are likely to go forever into history book. Sad.

Posted via CB10
    They can't do that buddy...not legal

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:23 AM
    The other lesson is to try not to get too much information from sites that naturally hype the stock. The main BBRY thread here is called "I support BBRY and I buy shares !" and they stick with this theme religiously. The shares are purchased primarily to support the company and, less importantly, to make a good investment. The purpose of the discussion it to support BBRY. Anything to the contrary is generally off topic and isn't tolerated.

It's not a good place to get a feel for what the stock will really do. In fact, it's an awful place to do that.
    10-02-13 11:28 AM
    i dont think anyone was hyping it up beside ppl on CB. if you read any outside news it should have given you a pretty good idea that the company was going downhill.
    There was also significant hype from the investment community. Hence the high trade volume in BBRY stock. The hope to find the next "big thing" was there and that mentality clearly permeates into the Crackberry investing community as well so that many BBRY investors on Crackberry are waaaay out there.

My lesson learned has been.. no matter how good you think the product is.. if the street and the media don't like it.. then it's most likely to tank.
    Why should it even matter how good you think the product is? All it matters is how good consumers think it is. Also, Wall Street has actually been very kind to BBRY. You see the spike to 18 USD pre-launch? That's Wall Street believing in BBRY. If Wall Street didn't like BBRY, it would have stayed at 6-something USD all the way to now.
    10-02-13 11:32 AM
    any news? ss
    10-02-13 11:58 AM
    Seeking Alpha feed today

That's it, I am never buying a tech stock again...especially based on hype and speculation-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380733340.102082.jpg
    10-02-13 12:02 PM
    True lesson is if you're buying stock based on hype, sell before that hype becomes reality. I told my in-laws, who had bought BB stock when it dropped to around $6 last year, to sell it before BB10 officially launched when it was around $15-$16. Once the product is officially out the hype is gone and it has to stand on its own merit. Meaning the stock could continue rise (if the hype was delivered) or it could drop (if the product failed to deliver). Considering how low the BB stock had fallen before the hype of BB10 brought it back up, it was pretty obvious that if even the slightest thing failed on launch that the stock would drop.
    10-02-13 12:03 PM
    True lesson is if you're buying stock based on hype, sell before that hype becomes reality. I told my in-laws, who had bought BB stock when it dropped to around $6 last year, to sell it before BB10 officially launched when it was around $15-$16. Once the product is officially out the hype is gone and it has to stand on its own merit. Meaning the stock could continue rise (if the hype was delivered) or it could drop (if the product failed to deliver). Considering how low the BB stock had fallen before the hype of BB10 brought it back up, it was pretty obvious that if even the slightest thing failed on launch that the stock would drop.
    I did.

But I bought back at 9 in July, sold at 11.x, and bought back again 10.x

So my last buy is losing, I am not happy, LOL. I thought BBRY at least worth $12 if sold.
    10-02-13 12:17 PM
    There was also significant hype from the investment community. Hence the high trade volume in BBRY stock. The hope to find the next "big thing" was there and that mentality clearly permeates into the Crackberry investing community as well so that many BBRY investors on Crackberry are waaaay out there.

Why should it even matter how good you think the product is? All it matters is how good consumers think it is. Also, Wall Street has actually been very kind to BBRY. You see the spike to 18 USD pre-launch? That's Wall Street believing in BBRY. If Wall Street didn't like BBRY, it would have stayed at 6-something USD all the way to now.
    if there was hype like you said from outside investment company, why did the stock not sky rocket? it can be high trading volume from buy/sell/short/cover, not just buying. once the result were in first quarter everyone pretty much know what is up. only ppl in CB were trying to say wait next quarter when q10 drop and the z30, or ppl will know how powerful it is, just wait.
    boi2012 likes this.
    10-02-13 12:22 PM
    That is why you need a broad based portfolio.

Personally oil and gas, exploration is where is money is now and not in north america.
    10-02-13 01:01 PM
    Good job......!
    10-02-13 01:21 PM
    I lost 5k overall...although I really hoped because of BB10 they would have jumped to 20's.

It's interesting looking back when many started to complain about the OS. and majority on here called them trolls and insulted them as well told them to go else-were and they did, but that should have been a sign for many of us - if things like that popping up then other population of 99.9% of people who don't use the boards felt the same way.

Im in HR, and I can only imagine the BB hallways, with sale and layoff talks and coworkers who know the offices will be half empty within months time - I highly doubt there will be anything good coming out of there right now with all the bad news day in and day out. Just like cross platform BBM, you can tell they gave up on it - absolutely no sense of urgency. I can bet majority are interviewing else were right now and others looking to make a move out. So........I doubt their performance will be in overtime trying to work for the consumer.

There is a joke at work....BB "Keep moving" "keep moving to another OS"

I still thing the Bold 9900 is the best device they have. Rocking mine.
    10-02-13 01:24 PM
    Seeking Alpha feed today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380733340.102082.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	207151
    Don't EVER take any advice from Seeking Alpha. You need zero credentials to be "published" there. It is not a good site for investment advice. Cancel your news feed, you'd be better off going to Starbucks and asking around.
    ibimmer and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 02:00 PM
    Buy on rumour, sell on news.
    10-02-13 02:10 PM
    I sold it barely above a long time ago. I made $300. Then the stock kept dropping and I was happy I sold it. Sorry about yours though.
    10-02-13 02:16 PM
    Wrong.

To the OP, the markets tend to teach expensive lessons. If you're interested in the markets and have the time, you could do what everyone should but almost no one does. Paper trade for a period of time, and take the approach you mentioned (DD, research). See if your method is a winner and then maybe go live again.
    richardat and JasW like this.
    10-02-13 02:18 PM
49 12