04-04-14 12:02 PM
43 12
tools
    I owned Blackberrys From 2004 to Feb 2013 taking an 18 month break to see how the phone wars shake out. Not that it should impact my ability to take part in a discussion.

Could you provide links for the increased security that BB implemented when they transitioned to BBIDs for BBM? I was not aware of any change to the fact that they use a global encryption key.
    The issue with PIN-to-PIN is PIN spoofing. If you know someone's pin and can hack your device to spoof it, you can receive PIN messages sent to someone else. (Hacking the device is a whole different bag of worms.)

If you're using BBID then you need personal password access.

Global encryption keys are not easy things to crack, despite your apparent beliefs that they are. Why do you think India had to shut down BIS services until BBRY could install a local BIS server for them?

LOL what does the last few posts have to do with the thread title?
    As for the relevance to the OP, if you read back it was in regards to technological analysis of the company over technical analysis of the stock trends.
    08-28-13 09:51 AM
    LOL what does the last few posts have to do with the thread title?

It is a highly technical exchange and they are analyzing things, there, simple....
    08-28-13 02:05 PM
    It is part of the "technology analysis" which is part of the "fundamental analysis" which is part of ...

In any event, like with everything, TA and fundamental analysis are as helpful as the person doing them which is not saying much, but...

What has been strange for me is how some people constantly decry nefarious manipulation of BBRY stock while in the next breath rely on TA to support their belief that BBRY will give them early retirement...

I love ellipsis...
    08-28-13 03:44 PM
    For reference, the Triple DES encryption used for BBMs is the same level of encryption used by electronic payment systems.
    08-28-13 04:27 PM
    What... there's no comeback?

BBMs are as safe as your money.

A properly password protected BBRY, coupled with a banking pin, is safer than carrying around a wallet. It can be remotely disabled, wiped and bricked. Eventually there will grow a disincentive to steal BBRY phones based on their poor black market resale value.

Given enough time and moving away from Apple's money grubbing premium pricing that relies on slave labor, natural market forces should take over again. The smartphone as a hardware device will decrease in value as more circuits are integrated into the SOC designs. There will be r&d costs for each advance that moves us towards that aim, but the end goal would be a cheap and easily replaceable device that is ubiquitous and creates a vast, secure and private network across the globe.
    08-29-13 09:04 AM
    Bbry is secure with third party encryption. And the device itself as far as getting information on the device. Bbm pin email are all subject to being read. That's why people install encryption software, otherwise they would just use off the shelf bbrys right?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 11:12 AM
    Bbry is secure with third party encryption. And the device itself as far as getting information on the device. Bbm pin email are all subject to being read. That's why people install encryption software, otherwise they would just use off the shelf bbrys right?

Posted via CB10
    BBM's are all encrypted with Triple DES.

You can setup your own email server and purchase a BES license to enable higher levels of encryption to prevent emails from being read, but anyone you want to email through that server has to have their own BlackBerry and license.

PIN-to-PIN messages are inherently insecure, but they serve a purpose in disaster situations.
    08-29-13 11:23 AM
    Are you referencing the new BB10s or the old phones? I've known old phones (some models for sure) could be broken into by what I would guess is called chip-off forensics which left some of the phones destroyed but the data recovered, but am not up to speed with newer phones.

What... there's no comeback?

BBMs are as safe as your money.

A properly password protected BBRY, coupled with a banking pin, is safer than carrying around a wallet. It can be remotely disabled, wiped and bricked. Eventually there will grow a disincentive to steal BBRY phones based on their poor black market resale value.

Given enough time and moving away from Apple's money grubbing premium pricing that relies on slave labor, natural market forces should take over again. The smartphone as a hardware device will decrease in value as more circuits are integrated into the SOC designs. There will be r&d costs for each advance that moves us towards that aim, but the end goal would be a cheap and easily replaceable device that is ubiquitous and creates a vast, secure and private network across the globe.
    08-29-13 01:18 PM
    Are you referencing the new BB10s or the old phones? I've known old phones (some models for sure) could be broken into by what I would guess is called chip-off forensics which left some of the phones destroyed but the data recovered, but am not up to speed with newer phones.
    I'm referencing the BBM messgaing system on the old and new phones.

If you've got physical access to a device and know to remove the sim and battery before someone fires off a wipe command, it's possible to access the data stored on the device. But using full device encryption means you've still got to crack through that level as well.

I'm sure if someone asked, BBRY would produce a line of Z10 and Q10s that can be not only remotely wiped, but self-destruct if necessary.
    08-31-13 05:08 PM

If you've got physical access to a device and know to remove the sim and battery before someone fires off a wipe command, it's possible to access the data stored on the device. But using full device encryption means you've still got to crack through that level as well.

I'm sure if someone asked, BBRY would produce a line of Z10 and Q10s that can be not only remotely wiped, but self-destruct if necessary.
    10.2 provides a setting where data access seems related to the SIM prsence. Not sure how it works exactly, sry it's only beta...

Way OT BTW.

No kidding that's my Q10 boss !
    08-31-13 06:05 PM
    How do you get access to the data on BB10, though. Do you still have to remove the memory chip and read it in a lab for the passwords?

09-01-13 09:11 AM
    How do you get access to the data on BB10, though. Do you still have to remove the memory chip and read it in a lab for the passwords?
    That might have worked with older devices. No guarantee with BB10.

Just getting access to data doesn't really help. With full encryption it could still take too long to make cracking through the encryption worthwhile.
    09-01-13 10:11 AM
    I see how if you have the encrypted data and have to crack it, you will be up against the theoretical limits according to the encryption scheme and the lenght of the password.

Is the encryption password and/or device password stored somewhere physically on the device, e.g. memory chip, so that could be attacked and the passwords extracted?

Why did that vector of attack work on older devices and not on new devices. Did they change the memory chips or the whole design?

That might have worked with older devices. No guarantee with BB10.

Just getting access to data doesn't really help. With full encryption it could still take too long to make cracking through the encryption worthwhile.
    09-01-13 11:36 AM
    I see how if you have the encrypted data and have to crack it, you will be up against the theoretical limits according to the encryption scheme and the lenght of the password.

Is the encryption password and/or device password stored somewhere physically on the device, e.g. memory chip, so that could be attacked and the passwords extracted?

Why did that vector of attack work on older devices and not on new devices. Did they change the memory chips or the whole design?
    Passwords and keys tend to be kept in an encrypted format. To check if a password is valid, the system applies the encryption and checks the entered, now encrypted password against the stored encrypted password.

So.... No, there's no easy way. And it didn't work on the old devices if full device encryption was enabled. If you were just using a password and no encryption, the chip reading method is possible.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 09-01-13 at 01:13 PM. Reason: grammar
    danprown likes this.
    09-01-13 11:49 AM
    So I was out for most of yesterday, when BBRY dramatically broke out of the wedge and pushed through the resistance like it was wet tissue paper. Did I miss a demonstration of the awesome power of TA? I have to look back and see what the horoscopes charts were saying. So many pages to go through though, can someone help out?
    09-21-13 07:15 AM
    So I was out for most of yesterday, when BBRY dramatically broke out of the wedge and pushed through the resistance like it was wet tissue paper. Did I miss a demonstration of the awesome power of TA? I have to look back and see what the horoscopes charts were saying. So many pages to go through though, can someone help out?
    I'd like to hear some fresh info from the TA folks as well.
    09-21-13 10:58 AM
    In order to correctly evaluate the efficacy of investment strategies, it is important to get a have a balanced view by looking not just at the successful predictions but also on the failed ones. It is a very easy for partisans of a particular view to only pay attention to the results that support that view, a phenomenon called confirmation bias. Today would be a good day to look how certain predictions have held up.

3/7 I sold 1/2 my ECA today and picked more HALO too

3/18 Look for us to breakout here and rally to the $ 15.20/shr area while we await major news

3/24 So be brave and buy some bargains in here as no particular stock is the cause of this sell-off. We should see a nice pop from here.

3/26 I see us bottoming out today and rallying tomorrow.

3/31 Great day today as we setup for a rally here. HALO have come out with great news batting 100% on three major events so far, you will be rewarded soon.

3/31 From all of this, you should hear of some partnership that will drive the stock much higher
    sentimentGX4 and chr1sny like this.
    04-04-14 11:49 AM
    Just shows that using charts is just luck most of the time. Just like guessing, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong.

Looks like BBRY is going to return to the $7 range. SOme would say it is another buying opportuntity!
    notfanboy likes this.
    04-04-14 12:02 PM
43 12