Stock rallies as BlackBerry strikes back - The Globe and Mail

BlackBerry rises

Shares of BlackBerry Ltd. are rallying today as the smartphone maker strikes back after a long spell on the ropes.

“We have engineered a new strategy to stabilize the company and restore our customers’ confidence in BlackBerry,” John Chen, the company’s new chief executive officer, said as he unveiled new initiatives at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

BlackBerry says the number of large business and government clients that have installed or are testing its mobile device management service has risen about 20 per cent over the past six months.

Mr. Chen, who has pledged to turn around the company that once ruled its industry, announced new products and services, from a cheaper Z3 BlackBerry that will cost under $200 (U.S.) to a new Q20 model that brings back its “classic” keyboard.

It’s also revamping its BlackBerry Enterprise Server and launching BBM for enterprise users.

The new Z3, the first result of its partnership with Foxconn, will initially launch in Indonesia in April. The Q20, in turn, which will feature the function keys and signature trackpad with a QWERTY keyboard, will go on sale later this year.

As The Globe and Mail’s Sean Silcoff reported earlier this week, the return of this “belt” of function keys is aimed at winning back customers.

Mr. Chen, who joined the company last year as Thorsten Heins departed, is fighting back against fierce competition from Apple Inc.’s iPhone, Samsung’s Galaxy and the various smartphones powered by Google Inc.’s Android system.

The latest industry report, released earlier this month by research firm IDC, showed BlackBerry’s operating systems slipping to hold just a 0.6-per-cent share of the market for new smartphones in the fourth quarter of last year.

Mr. Chen, by the way, also suggested in Barcelona that its already popular BBM chat app will become even more popular in the wake of Facebook Inc.’s huge deal for WhatsApp.

BBM, which original BlackBerry users loved, has been expanded to the iPhone and Android devices, and now to Microsoft Corp.’s Windows.

At the same time, as The Globe and Mail’s Omar El Akkad and Greg Keenan report, Ford Motor Co. is said to be looking at switching the operating system on its Windows-based Sync to one from BlackBerry’s QNX.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    02-25-14 11:21 AM
    SMARTPHONE WARS
    EPISODE V

Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 02-25-14 at 12:26 PM.
    02-25-14 11:31 AM
    The past few days have seen more good news stories for BlackBerry than in the previous two years combined.

Obviously, they're not out of the woods yet. I haven't the slightest clue what kind of sales they'll report on the next quarterly call, but I'm pretty sure we're past the worst.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    02-25-14 11:53 AM
    The past few days have seen more good news stories for BlackBerry than in the previous two years combined.

Obviously, they're not out of the woods yet. I haven't the slightest clue what kind of sales they'll report on the next quarterly call, but I'm pretty sure we're past the worst.
    I read an interview with Chen yesterday where he hinted the next 2 quarters are going to be tough and the results will reflect that. He hopes to be a lot more positive after that.
    02-25-14 12:07 PM
    Go BlackBerry go! BlackBerry will rise again...
    02-25-14 01:23 PM
    I just love the fact that the short sellers are getting killed and putting money in my pocket in the process. Lolz!
    02-25-14 07:00 PM