BlackBerry Z10 App Sales Show To Be A Success For SkyLab Mobilesystems BlackBerryOS.com - BlackBerry Z10 App Sales Show To Be A Success For SkyLab Mobilesystems

SkyLab Mobilesystems recently emailed us to ask, "how is the Z10 is really doing? Do you know?"

Besides what retailers have been saying, and the hear-say that has been going around, we really won't know for certain until BlackBerry gives us the factual numbers. However, SkyLab has put together a compilation of stats, showing that their sales with the BlackBerry Z10 are going strong in comparison to other BlackBerry devices. Check out their rundown on all the numbers below:

There has been a lot of speculation over the past weeks and nobody is coming up with real numbers. We at Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. have been building BlackBerry apps since 2005 and have now ported the majority of our apps to BlackBerry 10 (total: 985 apps on sale).

The chart (high-res version here) above shows the device distribution of our apps. On the left side the sales distribution for January shows:

34% PlayBook
    66% BlackBerry OS

The right side shows how the newly launched BlackBerry Z10 changed the BlackBerry World:
    37% Z10 (Canada, UK, India, Italy, Poland, China, ...)
    20% PlayBook
    10% Z10 (South Africa, UAE, Russia, Qatar, ...)
    33% BlackBerry OS

So the Z10 accounts for 47% of all app sales of Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. in February. Compared to 0% in January.

Summary: The BlackBerry Z10 is a true app-centric device; people are buying more devices and download more and more apps.
    Check out all the apps by Skylab Mobilesystems Limited in BlackBerry World.

SkyLab Mobilesystems app success on BB10-skylab-sales-devices-bb10.jpg
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-02-13 07:19 PM
    I saw that, but it doesn't really say anything about the success since a new product is bound to have more users. It also only compares old BB OS to new BB10. Not to other platforms.
    03-02-13 07:33 PM
    SkyLab needs to go back to all the apps they "released" for Z10 and fix the descriptions... currently most just cut/paste from the Playbook descriptions --- wonder if the rest is just copy/paste as well - or if there are any device-specific adjustments made?
    03-02-13 07:55 PM
    This is known

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:01 PM
    This - as are all numbers released by BB devs around BB platform usage - is frustrating.

Relative numbers don't really tell me anything. How many actual sales were made? That would be a hard number and a worthwhile one.

If/when I publish this kind of info for my apps, it will include actual numbers. For some reason, devs are really shy about this - I don't know if they just don't want to appear to be making too much, or if they're worried it will look bad if they're not making enough...
    03-03-13 01:51 PM
    This - as are all numbers released by BB devs around BB platform usage - is frustrating.
    The number of "sales" are really not the business of any user... and you won't get that on any platform.

However - a good indicator will be the reviews. A good app, will have at least 4 stars - and lots of reviews.
    But right now BB World is undergoing some serious changes, and new web/system/client should be in place in near future.

When that happens - give it some time - and if you see apps with 100 reviews on the platform - and 1 star - that should tell you to either be careful, or for special interested - perhaps contact the developer Before purchasing to get info etc...
    Other apps might have 1 review and 5 stars... if this situation persist over time - also not the best signal... contact developer up front...
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-03-13 02:05 PM
    Skylab makes crap-apps for the most part. So who cares?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    03-07-13 12:51 PM
    The number of "sales" are really not the business of any user... and you won't get that on any platform.
    It's not the business of the user, but it is of interest to other developers. Stats such as have been posted here are fairly meaningless.
    03-09-13 08:14 PM
    If you guys want to know the numbers of an indie dev with a awesome app, then you guys can check this article out. It can give you a sense on how its going for this indie dev. It would be good for other devs to talk about this cause it might entice other developers who where on the fence to make apps for bb10.

WordsPlus - word search love on BlackBerry 10 | Two Casual Coders
    03-10-13 03:58 PM
    If you guys want to know the numbers of an indie dev with a awesome app, then you guys can check this article out. It can give you a sense on how its going for this indie dev. It would be good for other devs to talk about this cause it might entice other developers who where on the fence to make apps for bb10.

WordsPlus - word search love on BlackBerry 10 | Two Casual Coders
    THat's really cool, thanks for posting.
    03-10-13 04:47 PM
    THat's really cool, thanks for posting.
    No problem. I have been wondering how developers are making out sales wise now that the phones are here. There is really no information out there that discusses how developers are doing with BB10. I know in the past presentations they said BB devs make more money and what not but I want to know if its spread out proportionally or if its just a hand full of developers that are making money. I know BB10 is still fairly new so we should give it some time. Especially with the launch in the US coming shortly. I do believe that most app sales for iOS come from the US so lets hope BB10 has a huge launch in the US. What I have noticed though is that there does seem to be a bit of an app discovery issue in BlackBerry World. If your app is not in the featured section then it gets hidden very quickly. They could have definitely learned somethings from apple's mistakes on getting exposure to more apps/devs. But it does seem that they made the same mistakes. Hopefully they work on a fix for this. Are there any indie devs that have been seeing success with their apps?
    03-10-13 05:53 PM