I'm a shareholder and blackberry fan. I was wondering...

Should there not be more talk about Google as a potential suitor of BBRY? (I'd prefer to please discuss the business merits in this thread vs. the Canadian government - thank you! )

At first thought, this seems like it could be a perfect fit for Google to build out its product portfolio (and they have plenty of resources to make it successful). Below are a couple of points I'll throw out for discussion. Are there others? What do you guys think from a business perspective?

1. Blackberry has already done the hard work to embed the Android run-time environment into the platform. So, the Blackberry brand could be targeted at Google's premium segment that puts a higher value on security (e.g., government and enterprise market), and the traditional Android portfolio more to masses and consumers. The entire customer base would leverage Google's investment in Android.

2. Google could bring its existing cloud & enterprise services offerings to existing and future Blackberry customers, increasing both the value proposition and services revenue stream. At the same time, it can leverage the Blackberry MDM solutions to expand its services market.

3. Blackberry's technology/resources could help Google continue to improve user experience (see their core beliefs)

4. Google has the resources to make the right long-term investment decisions vs short-term cash-driven decisions.

Looking forward to the discussion.
    08-13-13 10:32 AM
    While I agree with your reasoning, and personally would love to see an acquisition by google, as I've always been a google fan for all products except android.. I just don't see it. I don't see google laying out cash for Blackberry rather then just scaling their android development towards enterprise as they are already doing.. arguably successfully as of late.
    08-13-13 10:37 AM
    More dreams.

In case you haven't noticed, Google already bought a smartphone company. One with a fairly decent name. It isn't going well. So, you're suggesting that Google double down on stupid purchases?
    08-13-13 12:10 PM
    Google already have motorola..

and if Google took over Blackberry i think it's only for the patent...the Blackberry hardware and software division will be gone..

plus i don't think many BB die hard user, who thinks BB as the most secure platform will be happy knowing their information will go to google.
    08-13-13 12:16 PM
    Google does have a lot of cash on their balance sheet.
    08-13-13 02:12 PM
    More dreams.

In case you haven't noticed, Google already bought a smartphone company. One with a fairly decent name. It isn't going well. So, you're suggesting that Google double down on stupid purchases?
    I wasn't really thinking about double downing on smart phones, which is part of the BBRY strategy (and positions with a different customer segment than Motorola). However, the longer term strategy is perhaps also broader in the software/services space. Just my thought.
    08-13-13 02:16 PM
    Google already have motorola..
    plus i don't think many BB die hard user, who thinks BB as the most secure platform will be happy knowing their information will go to google.
    Fair point.. they'd have to overcome this perception risk. To be successful with enterprise customers, this objection has to be managed either way.
    08-13-13 02:20 PM
    No way.

The credibility of the product as a safe and secure platform will go completely out the window!
    Personally, I would remove everything from every BB device I own and pitch them like frisbees into the river!
    08-13-13 02:36 PM
    Aside from the clash of philosophies (Google likes to know all -- BB promotes security) -- the simple fact is BlackBerry at this point is not on Google's radar. BB is just to insignificant in the greater scheme of things for Google to even be concerned with acquiring it. Years ago -- yeah. But not now. Especially not since Google more or less defeated Oracle in their spat over the implementation of Java in Android.

That said, QNX itself I could see Google placing value on. Google after all does a lot of roll your own stuff in the data center from what I understand. Building their own 10GbE switches and such. QNX is used in routers, etc. Seems like Google might have a use for it.

But BB10 and the hardware -- no. And BES. No. Not even BBM.
    08-13-13 02:44 PM
    Nah. If the Googs thought BB was a threat, they'd want to kill it. BB is just a buzzing Fruitfly in their ear.
    08-13-13 03:17 PM
    Lol. Okay. Appreciate the feedback. I guess we'll wait and see what does happen.

7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> Z10
    08-13-13 04:32 PM
    08-13-13 10:28 PM