Hello, There are tons of articles on internet and here on CB about short interest, short squeeze, bullish and bearish arguments in last 6 months and we still not sure what exactly going on with increasing the short interest, BB 10 performance, etc. What am I asking here is to assist with our CB fans research to call your broker and and ask if there are any shares available for shorting and what's the cost if there is any. I have called TD Waterhouse and I was told that shares still available and no extra cost other than normal commission.
    Please do this for all long BB share holders. Call your broker and post results here.
    06-12-13 01:40 PM
    It shot up to 8 to 9% rate, backed off to 6% range, now back up to 7 - 8% range. Your TD guys are full of crap. Most people forget to add the almost 11 million shares short in Canada to the US numbers to get to 181 million shares short. When you take out insider shares, Mike Lazaridis' shares that he said he is not selling and Prem's shares, there is well over 40% of the shares sold short. Not only do the shorts risk a good quarter, but also they are paying 7 to 8% to borrow the stock. Given all the positive things happening at Blackberry from BBM cross platform, Channels, BBM Money, BES10.1 rollout, Q10 rollout, Q5 rollout and the eventual A10 launch, lots of cash, lots of IP, lots of assets, 10.2 rollout and a large short position... it just does not seem to be a good risk reward bet.

The short guys may have figured this out, but they really are in a pickel. From this point, all they can do is short and distort. Check out the link below.

James Faucette - i made friends with the wrong crowd now i have to do say wh
    06-12-13 01:49 PM
    TD Waterhouse does not charge a rebate for shortsales in my experience... They charge a regular commission, and then they escrow100% of your cash equivalent to the value of your short position, where you do not get paid interest (the cash appears as a balance on your "short" account - check your statements, you don't receive interest on that balance). I think normally the short rebate is low enough that the yield they earn on your cash covers the rebate they pay to borrow the shares. Thus far I have not heard of them making an exception for BBRY. And they do not need to borrow shares if they already have enough shares held under the name of their brokerage for you to short (i.e. held by their other customers' margin accounts).

Although I do know from experience that they WILL force-cover your short position if they run out of shares and couldn't borrow more.
    06-12-13 02:03 PM
    So let's ask your broker whether BBRY shares are still available for shorting and the cost. Share info here so we can get some inside on this.
    06-12-13 02:45 PM