Chen is an enterprise software guy and I see no evidence that he is either interested in the consumer market or knows how to target it. Those who brought him in already had decided that BlackBerry,s future was in enterprise and not consumer markets.

Posted via CB10
    A good CEO doesn't have to know everything, just has to hire people that do... And then listen to them.

As far as I know Chen just has a few Sybase buddies and long-term BlackBerry people.

But then there is knowing something, and knowing something and being in a position to do anything about it. BlackBerry lost there opportunity to be competitive in the hardware business, long before Chen.

The battle was already lost, Chen's just overseeing a strategic retreat... Hopefully with some type of software business still in place.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-27-16 11:58 AM
    Sales numbers for Priv?
    -Not enough to keep the handset division alive.
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    03-27-16 12:07 PM
    I think the high price is a turn off for people. BlackBerry isn't a household name anymore so you can't just release a phone priced as high as the other known phones and expect people to buy them. BlackBerry should give people some incentive by pricing the phone around $500. Then watch high volumes of sale come in because at that price people wouldn't be comparing it with the likes of Samsung.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-28-16 06:02 AM
    I think the high price is a turn off for people. BlackBerry isn't a household name anymore so you can't just release a phone priced as high as the other known phones and expect people to buy them. BlackBerry should give people some incentive by pricing the phone around $500. Then watch high volumes of sale come in because at that price people wouldn't be comparing it with the likes of Samsung.
    I still don't see it... even at $499, as their are comparable phones at that price range already.

The PRIV has what "some" BlackBerry lovers want in a smartphone, a PKB and some magically privacy thing (it's a hard thing to sell).... What it doesn't have is what really interest consumers... be that a fingerprint scanner, waterproofing of the phone, shatter proof screen, low light camera, latest updates from Google, or just the knowledge that you couldn't have chosen incorrectly because so many others have bought the same phone.

In the Android world... gimmicks, marketing and low cost but good hardware are what sell phones.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-28-16 07:26 AM
    I still don't see it... even at $499, as their are comparable phones at that price range already.

The PRIV has what "some" BlackBerry lovers want in a smartphone, a PKB and some magically privacy thing (it's a hard thing to sell).... What it doesn't have is what really interest consumers... be that a fingerprint scanner, waterproofing of the phone, shatter proof screen, low light camera, latest updates from Google, or just the knowledge that you couldn't have chosen incorrectly because so many others have bought the same phone.

In the Android world... gimmicks, marketing and low cost but good hardware are what sell phones.
    Either there are enough people (enterprise / professionals) who will buy a Priv for the PKB or 'security' to make hardware profitable at low volume / high margin.....or there aren't. They won't be profitable competing on price. We'll have a better idea end of week if they are able to keep making handsets. My guess is they are profitable this quarter on hardware.....maybe not next quarter unless direct enterprise sales are strong. Being profitable this quarter on hardware will be a good message that people want the phone and may lead those who question if BlackBerry will continue to make and support the handsets to be assured enough to buy one...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 07:36 AM
    For the time being blackberry has to work on their niche market there are a lot of android phones sold. If blackberry can capture only a few of them it will be Allright
    03-28-16 07:37 AM
    I am not going back to touch screen so for me it's blackberry or nothing.
    Priv4U likes this.
    03-28-16 07:38 AM
    And I will pay the extra bucks for a blackberry. But I also keep it longer as most blackberry folks do.
    03-28-16 07:40 AM
    PRIV was Chen 's gamble. He lost and the buck stops with him.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-19-18 08:36 PM
    PRIV was Chen 's gamble. He lost and the buck stops with him.
    2 year old thread.

The Priv was Louks' idea, and he pressed Chen to do it.

Turned out pretty good, as BlackBerry now has another software product to licence.
    05-19-18 08:43 PM
    Always easy to blame someone else. Being Chairman and CEO the buck stops with Chen.

The PRIV was completely overpriced and a disappointing failure.
    phuoc, elfabio80 and techvisor like this.
    05-19-18 08:57 PM
    Always easy to blame someone else. Being Chairman and CEO the buck stops with Chen.

The PRIV was completely overpriced and a disappointing failure.
    He allowed it because it was a low-risk, low-cost opportunity to stay in the hardware business. I don't think he really thought it would work to be honest.

Had they gone with a low-end device, they would have been roasted in the press.

The end result, is that they created a seemingly valuable software product. That may have been the "plan B" from the start - or perhaps even the "plan A".
    05-19-18 09:17 PM
    Either there are enough people (enterprise / professionals) who will buy a Priv for the PKB or 'security' to make hardware profitable at low volume / high margin.....or there aren't. They won't be profitable competing on price. We'll have a better idea end of week if they are able to keep making handsets. My guess is they are profitable this quarter on hardware.....maybe not next quarter unless direct enterprise sales are strong. Being profitable this quarter on hardware will be a good message that people want the phone and may lead those who question if BlackBerry will continue to make and support the handsets to be assured enough to buy one...

Posted via CB10
    How little things change... but now it's TCL trying to salvage their hardware business and trying to see if "the PKB or 'security' to make hardware profitable at low volume / high margin.....or there aren't"

It didn't work for BlackBerry with the PRIV, and I sorta doubt TCL will have much success with the BBMo products...
    techvisor likes this.
    08-14-18 10:23 AM
    2 year old thread.

The Priv was Louks' idea, and he pressed Chen to do it.

Turned out pretty good, as BlackBerry now has another software product to licence.
    And 2 Years later....
    07-10-20 03:04 PM
    And 2 Years later....
    They probably still made a buck off it all.
    07-10-20 03:45 PM
65 123