Recently I stopped in the AT&T store in one of the biggest malls in the DC area. The sales person was nice but had no clue about the security benefits of the Priv. She said they sell a few but said it without enthusiasm.

Posted via CB10
    Who would be when its not an Apple?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    02-29-16 07:02 AM
    Security benefits of the PRIV over what?

If BlackBerry released some kinda of flyer to sales people showing how the PRIV was better.... that might be a useful tool. But the problem is the PRIV is just another Android phone, really doesn't even have the most secure version of Android on it yet. Sure it has a detection app that is kinda cool and the ROM is locked (actually not the only Android phones to have a locked rom that isn't rootable)... if you want you can install it or some similar ones on your S7.

What sells is what is new and what is cool.... and what is marketed.

My daughter went in Verizon to get a new phone this weekend. It was actually the manager that met with us, when he saw her Z10 he said she really did need an upgrade (she got iPhone 6, 64GB for $199 on 2-Year Contract Renewal.... so yeah they still do that with existing customers). Told her that it was kinda sad that BlackBerry was once such a great phone... but they were "too little, too late". I then asked about the PRIV, and he was not sure what was going on with it. He had heard they were going to carry it, but all the news lately had been about the new Samsung and HTC phones.

What is clear, is that potentially 50% of the US market still won't be represented in the April 1st earnings reports as neither Verizon or Sprint (both of whom Chen said would have it) are currently selling the PRIV yet. But I do expect that the report will be complete enough to answer the question of if the PRIV is selling well are not.
    jgrobertson, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    02-29-16 08:11 AM
    BlackBerry either does not have a clue about selling into the consumer, high tech market or they don't want to. You can't be months late with previous generation technology and expect to get any market share.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 11:22 AM
    BlackBerry either does not have a clue about selling into the consumer, high tech market or they don't want to. You can't be months late with previous generation technology and expect to get any market share.

Posted via CB10
    Think about how BlackBerry rose to prominence - they were the first smartphone. They set the pace of the market, and released new devices and software when they were able to, and did so with only minimal sense of urgency because they were the market leaders. Late wasn't exactly an issue because they were still first.

In terms of marketing, thank back again - BlackBerry didn't have to market to consumers. Consumers came to BlackBerry because again, they were the thing.

These two practices were somewhat abusive of the customer, but weren't initially a big deal. Until some real competition came along, that is.

Then BlackBerry compounded the issue with quality issues - bad hardware on the Storm, limited capabilities in the initial, and even second version of PlayBook OS.

Look at Apple, even at the peak of their popularity, they still worked hard to keep getting it right. Granted, they didn't get it right all the time, but they got it right more of the time and EVEN STILL, for the first time since 2003, will be reporting a sales decline. They got it close to right the most often, and still are losing ground.

That's how high the bar is.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-15-16 07:35 PM
    Think about how BlackBerry rose to prominence - they were the first smartphone. They set the pace of the market, and released new devices and software when they were able to, and did so with only minimal sense of urgency because they were the market leaders. Late wasn't exactly an issue because they were still first.

In terms of marketing, thank back again - BlackBerry didn't have to market to consumers. Consumers came to BlackBerry because again, they were the thing.

These two practices were somewhat abusive of the customer, but weren't initially a big deal. Until some real competition came along, that is.

Then BlackBerry compounded the issue with quality issues - bad hardware on the Storm, limited capabilities in the initial, and even second version of PlayBook OS.

Look at Apple, even at the peak of their popularity, they still worked hard to keep getting it right. Granted, they didn't get it right all the time, but they got it right more of the time and EVEN STILL, for the first time since 2003, will be reporting a sales decline. They got it close to right the most often, and still are losing ground.

That's how high the bar is.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly Chen hasn't changed that with the PRIV..... They released a "so-so" flagship, priced it as high as they taught the market would allow, and have been very lacks on marketing that device, just kinda expecting it to sell itself.

Thus why some of us expect to learn next week that BlackBerry has failed to meet even their own goals for sales of the PRIV (or hardware in general). I'm sure we will hear that they are still in their "launch" phase as half of the US market didn't have the PRIV official until after the quarter ended, and there are a few overseas markets that also were added after the quarter ended. The way I see it, most devices sell best at launch and then start a downward slide.... In the Android market, there is a short window before the next newer flashy Android device steals the attention. If hardware doesn't sell at least 1.5 Million units this quarter, I doubt they grow sales to 5 million a year. As I doubt their next Android phone will bet the level of Carrier support that the PRIV did.

But then maybe, just maybe there were many that wanted a PKB device, didn't mind the price, and didn't need to be told that BlackBerry had changed once again and had a device that now did have apps....
    techvisor likes this.
    03-17-16 08:29 AM
    Sadly Chen hasn't changed that with the PRIV..... They released a "so-so" flagship, priced it as high as they taught the market would allow, and have been very lacks on marketing that device, just kinda expecting it to sell itself.

Thus why some of us expect to learn next week that BlackBerry has failed to meet even their own goals for sales of the PRIV (or hardware in general). I'm sure we will hear that they are still in their "launch" phase as half of the US market didn't have the PRIV official until after the quarter ended, and there are a few overseas markets that also were added after the quarter ended. The way I see it, most devices sell best at launch and then start a downward slide.... In the Android market, there is a short window before the next newer flashy Android device steals the attention. If hardware doesn't sell at least 1.5 Million units this quarter, I doubt they grow sales to 5 million a year. As I doubt their next Android phone will bet the level of Carrier support that the PRIV did.

But then maybe, just maybe there were many that wanted a PKB device, didn't mind the price, and didn't need to be told that BlackBerry had changed once again and had a device that now did have apps....

I don't understand why all the pessimism. Remember last quarter results?

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-17-16 08:51 AM

Hopefully your post is ironic?
    techvisor likes this.
    03-17-16 08:56 AM
    Hopefully your post is ironic?
    Last quarters results beat estimates

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-17-16 09:16 AM

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    I've watched BlackBerry for eight years now....

Didn't see anything last quarter that lead me to believe that the PRIV is selling any better than the Passport did. Grant there is a possibility, but so far BlackBerry hasn't shown any signs that the PRIV is a success for them.
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    03-17-16 09:30 AM
    Well, there is no color variant yet and the price has not been slashed. Either the sales are disastrous or they are still steady and no so bad.
    03-17-16 09:03 PM
    Remember that they make over 300$ perdevice with the Priv. They could have cut profit to sell some more if needed. But they haven't. So it's either really really bad and not even worth trying or it's OK.
    03-17-16 09:05 PM
    Last quarters results beat estimates

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.2876
    Estimates for BBRY, or estimates for expected sales of the PRIV?

I don't think there were many estimates for the PRIV sales, as it's pretty hard to know when and how BlackBerry really counts a device as sold. Some "think" that they counted all devices sold till the end of the month... others think with was only one or two weeks. And with AT&T only coming in right at the end of the month, last quarter just wasn't enough time to even make a guess.
    03-18-16 01:37 PM
    My perception is that more Canadians are loyal to BlackBerry than are those south of the border.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, Canadians like Trudeau and the Priv, and America likes the iPhone and Trump. Interesting choices.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 05:16 PM
    If Priv marketing can be used a barometer, BlackBerry is nowhere near their "5 million devices per year" goal.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 05:02 AM
    My guess is somewhere in between a million to 2 million.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 03:58 AM
    Estimates for BBRY, or estimates for expected sales of the PRIV?

I don't think there were many estimates for the PRIV sales, as it's pretty hard to know when and how BlackBerry really counts a device as sold. Some "think" that they counted all devices sold till the end of the month... others think with was only one or two weeks. And with AT&T only coming in right at the end of the month, last quarter just wasn't enough time to even make a guess.
    So apparently they will be reporting sell-in for the Priv. That should make the numbers at least stronger for the Priv in this report.
    03-24-16 04:09 AM
    The blackberry content transfer app in the Google play store is north of 500,000. My guess is, if this number reflects the number of private sold, then we will be seeing a good quarter. Downloads of other blackberry apps in Google play are lagging indicators, whereas the content transfer app is a leading indicator.

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    03-24-16 04:12 AM
    The blackberry content transfer app in the Google play store is north of 500,000. My guess is, if this number reflects the number of private sold, then we will be seeing a good quarter. Downloads of other blackberry apps in Google play are lagging indicators, whereas the content transfer app is a leading indicator.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ymigrate&hl=en If you mean that app... it's been out for a number of years, long before the PRIV hit the market. If that's your "leading indicator" you're going to be in for a surprise.....

Now this one https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en Would be useful, if BBW listed the number of downloads.... but I don't see any numbers listed.

Either way we will know next week....
    03-24-16 07:19 AM
    I can categorically confirm that BlackBerry has sold one meeeeelion Privvies.
    03-24-16 08:22 AM
    Yup, Canadians like Trudeau and the Priv, and America likes the iPhone and Trump. Interesting choices.

Posted via CB10
    Lol I am American and I don't like Trudeau or trump but I do at least like BlackBerry haha no iPhone here

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-24-16 08:43 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ymigrate&hl=en If you mean that app... it's been out for a number of years, long before the PRIV hit the market. If that's your "leading indicator" you're going to be in for a surprise.....

Now this one https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en Would be useful, if BBW listed the number of downloads.... but I don't see any numbers listed.

Either way we will know next week....
    You are indeed correct. I withdraw my statement!

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-24-16 11:05 AM

The number of content transfer app downloads doesn't even remotely give you an idea of sales because there are a lot of people that weren't switching from a BlackBerry in the first place. If you go cell phone carrier websites and read the reviews, you'll see a lot of them are from people who've never had a BlackBerry in their life before.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 02:20 PM
    I know two guys that work at Rogers. One of whom used to work at Blackberry.

According to them, Priv sales have not met expectations. They're shocked that Blackberry hasn't announced a decision to get out of the hardware business. According to them Blackberry has done nothing to market the Priv (or any hardware). Maybe Blackberry has done something, maybe they think they're doing something, but when compared to other hardware manufacturers, Blackberry does nothing. They either don't care, or more likely just don't know what it takes to sell phones.

Apple booked a movie theater and treated everyone to a premier of the Batman vs Superman movie last Wednesday. And we're not talking front lines store reps. I'm talking enterprise execs at Rogers and probably every other telecom. Blackberry just doesn't know how to compete.
    gebco and techvisor like this.
    03-26-16 12:13 PM
    Chen is an enterprise software guy and I see no evidence that he is either interested in the consumer market or knows how to target it. Those who brought him in already had decided that BlackBerry,s future was in enterprise and not consumer markets.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 07:33 AM
    03-27-16 09:31 AM
65 123