Do you understand the sarcasm in that original reference or did you take it as honest gospel?

Did you notice all the hyperbole surrounding it?

Or are you just going to be a cherry picker and take things out of their proper context?
    12-07-13 07:53 AM
    I bet you watch a lot of Fox News.
    12-07-13 07:59 AM
    On all Verizon iPhone models up through the 5s and 5c, Apple continues to lack an important feature that all BB10 devices and most Android LTE devices have long offered: simultaneous LTE and CDMA radio operation.

Presumably they did this mostly for battery-life reasons.

But the corollary is, NONE of the iPhones that any of the US CDMA carriers (Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS) have ever offered have been able to support simultaneous voice and data functionality. That's a significant handicap. I was just on the phone yesterday with a friend of mine who couldn't look at an email I just sent her on her iPhone because she was on a phone call with me at the time.

If you don't mind giving up such functionality, then you can have lower battery consumption.

Life is full of tradeoffs.

iPhone 5S And 5C Will Still Not Do Simultaneous Data And Voice On Verizon Or Sprint | TechCrunch
    What does this have to do with QNX?

And yes that limitation sucks. I'm usually on WiFi so I haven't cared. Most of my usage is data usage as well. I keep my phone calls short.

Also, this has nothing to do with my battery consumption. I use my Z10 the same way I use my 5S, I use it even less than the 5S and I get less battery life. This is nothing to do with simultaneous voice and data. My iPhone pulls in more data than the Z10. I use it more.
    12-07-13 05:20 PM
    So...um:

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 07:21 PM
    And:

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 07:54 PM
    What does this have to do with QNX?

You made the inflammatory claim that there must be something wrong with QNX "efficiency" if your iPhone gets better battery life than your Z10.

I simply pointed out that one of the key reasons that is so is with the particular comparison you chose is because the iPhone will not run simultaneous radios, whereas the Z10 on your carrier does.

That takes battery power, continuously. Taking more battery power means lower battery life. Meaning that was a tradeoff that Apple made, that Blackberry did not. (However you can actually emulate Apple's choice by turning off the LTE radio in the Z10, which will give you better battery life. Unfortunately you have no option to allow your iPhone to act like a BlackBerry. )

I for one am very grateful for that, because not being able to use any data while on a phone call or sending SMS would suck, for me.
    12-07-13 09:13 PM
    So my Verizon Z10 can make calls and use data at the same time?

And I can turn off the LTE radio and still use data?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 09:50 PM
    Ummm....Not the same thing.
    Sorry for the interruption....carry on.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 11:06 PM
    So my Verizon Z10 can make calls and use data at the same time?

Yes.

And I can turn off the LTE radio and still use data?

Yes. If you still want to use data you can either use WiFi or can turn off LTE only on carrier network by using the escreens to make that change.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-07-13 11:22 PM
    You made the inflammatory claim that there must be something wrong with QNX "efficiency" if your iPhone gets better battery life than your Z10.
    Are we reading the same post? Where did I say there was something wrong with QNX? All I asked was "Where are these efficiencies of QNX?". I said I multitask just as well and even get better battery life on my iPhone and I do more on it.

Again I didn't say QNX has a problem. I asked where these efficiencies are, and if it is BB10 that is causing the issues.

I simply pointed out that one of the key reasons that is so is with the particular comparison you chose is because the iPhone will not run simultaneous radios, whereas the Z10 on your carrier does.
    And I said this has nothing to do with my battery life. I really never used data while on phone calls and I keep my phone calls short. I said I use the Z10 the same way that I use the iPhone and I use it even less. I'm mostly not even in LTE coverage all day so the Z10 wont even have the chance of simultaneous voice and data.

That takes battery power, continuously. Taking more battery power means lower battery life. Meaning that was a tradeoff that Apple made, that Blackberry did not. (However you can actually emulate Apple's choice by turning off the LTE radio in the Z10, which will give you better battery life. Unfortunately you have no option to allow your iPhone to act like a BlackBerry. )
    I have more apps open and more data being pushed to the iPhone than my Z10. It's not even close. And like I said, I am barely in LTE coverage all day so, for the little while the Z10 was in it and if I happened to be on the phone, it would use THAT much more battery life? I highly doubt it.

I have the same battery patterns sitting in WiFi all day. Z10 has less data being pushed to it, less apps open and the same amount of messaging and it barely lasts a full day. I have more apps, more data used ad being pushed to the iPhone all with the same messaging habits and still usually have 40-60% battery by the end of the day. I stream music also daily all day on either of them as well.

I for one am very grateful for that, because not being able to use any data while on a phone call or sending SMS would suck, for me.
    Yes it is a great feature for some. For me personally, I don't care. Would i like the iPhone to be able to do that on Verizon? Sure. The more features the better.
    12-08-13 05:39 PM
    Are we reading the same post? Where did I say there was something wrong with QNX? All I asked was "Where are these efficiencies of QNX?". I said I multitask just as well and even get better battery life on my iPhone and I do more on it.

You're slicing and dicing words now. YOU brought up QNX and questioned its "efficiency". I was only responding to something YOU made an issue of.

And I said this has nothing to do with my battery life. I really never used data while on phone calls and I keep my phone calls short. I said I use the Z10 the same way that I use the iPhone and I use it even less. I'm mostly not even in LTE coverage all day so the Z10 wont even have the chance of simultaneous voice and data.

I have more apps open and more data being pushed to the iPhone than my Z10. It's not even close. And like I said, I am barely in LTE coverage all day so, for the little while the Z10 was in it and if I happened to be on the phone, it would use THAT much more battery life? I highly doubt it.

Which is precisely why the battery usage will suffer. Battery life is generally worse in weak signal areas than in strong signal areas. If you have ANY sort of LTE signal there at all, the fact that the device is trying to establish a connection with it (and often failing) will cause your battery usage to go way up.
    12-08-13 11:47 PM
    You're slicing and dicing words now. YOU brought up QNX and questioned its "efficiency". I was only responding to something YOU made an issue of.
    I quoted someone who brought up QNX. I asked where the efficiencies were. I never bashed QNX or down talked it. I asked where is QNX making my experience better that the other kernels can't. It's clear as day. I don't think I need to quote it again.

Which is precisely why the battery usage will suffer. Battery life is generally worse in weak signal areas than in strong signal areas. If you have ANY sort of LTE signal there at all, the fact that the device is trying to establish a connection with it (and often failing) will cause your battery usage to go way up.
    You are really pushing this LTE signal thing. No. I have FULL 3G. Both full 3G all day. Z10 doesn't last as long doing less.

If there is a weak LTE signal, wouldn't this be happening to the iPhone as well? It can connect to LTE and would be affected by trying to establish a poor connection all ay.

What is your reasoning for a solid WiFi connection then? Why is the Z10 getting much worse battery life doing less in full WiFi coverage? Is this going to be blamed on trying to find an LTE connection when there isn't one?

I will say the Z10 usually does hold a really strong signal. However, I do pick up LTE in more places on my iPhone 5S than on my Z10. Like my house.
    12-09-13 09:20 AM
    This is moving broadly off topic, but what OS are you running?
    12-09-13 10:35 AM
    This is moving broadly off topic, but what OS are you running?
    I was on Verizon official 10.1.0.2039, but I also had leaks installed. 10.2 leaks as well. All with the same results. The leaks actually gave me better battery life than Verizon official updates. I was using nothing but leaks until Verizon updated to 10.1.
    12-09-13 10:49 AM
    I was on Verizon official 10.1.0.2039, but I also had leaks installed. 10.2 leaks as well. All with the same results. The leaks actually gave me better battery life than Verizon official updates. I was using nothing but leaks until Verizon updated to 10.1.
    Well, 10.2 has a number of battery optimizations that aren't present in 10.1, and from what I understand 10.2.1.1055 doesn't have the same radio optimizations that the latest 10.2 official release has available, so you wouldn't see the best increase battery life if you tried the latest 10.2.1 leak.

You may also need to allow for the system to 'settle in' following OS reloads as there's some indexing going on for the first day.

Which iPhone are you using for comparison?

The Z10 still has a higher ppi than even the latest Apple devices, with 727040 pixels crammed into the iPhone 5's 4" screen and 983040 pixels crammed into the Z10's 4.2". Both use LCD technology and have to backlight a similar amount of space. But where's the Z10 is cramming around 35% more pixels into only 5% more space, there is an associated power cost for the increased PPI.

This design choice could be considered a flaw or a feature. If you're content with the Retina(tm) display, then you might not appreciate the higher resolution. I'm going with feature because it replicates native desktop modes and future software upgrades that offer full landscape capabilities in the OS will then make the phone a more attractive mobile computing option when you can also pair it with a docking station.
    12-09-13 02:01 PM
    Well, 10.2 has a number of battery optimizations that aren't present in 10.1, and from what I understand 10.2.1.1055 doesn't have the same radio optimizations that the latest 10.2 official release has available, so you wouldn't see the best increase battery life if you tried the latest 10.2.1 leak.

You may also need to allow for the system to 'settle in' following OS reloads as there's some indexing going on for the first day.

Which iPhone are you using for comparison?
    I have not tried any of the newer leaks. I have left my Z10 on Verizons official OS. The OS has plenty settled, even when installing the leaks. Same result after two weeks.

I have the 5S.

The Z10 still has a higher ppi than even the latest Apple devices, with 727040 pixels crammed into the iPhone 5's 4" screen and 983040 pixels crammed into the Z10's 4.2". Both use LCD technology and have to backlight a similar amount of space. But where's the Z10 is cramming around 35% more pixels into only 5% more space, there is an associated power cost for the increased PPI.

This design choice could be considered a flaw or a feature. If you're content with the Retina(tm) display, then you might not appreciate the higher resolution. I'm going with feature because it replicates native desktop modes and future software upgrades that offer full landscape capabilities in the OS will then make the phone a more attractive mobile computing option when you can also pair it with a docking station.
    I understand the larger, higher resolution and higher ppi screen will consume more power. My iPhone is allowing me to get many hours more on a charge. If the screen is using that much more power over that much shorter of a time frame, it's not worth it right now for me.

My Nexus screen is larger than the Z10 and is a SAMOLED (which helps battery a bit), but it does have a lower ppi and the battery life is almost better than my Z10.

My Z10 is charging ATM (haven't turned it on in a while) and I will upload a screen shot once it turns on.

I have a Galaxy Nexus as well which is 720p. I appreciate the larger screens as well. I find the Nexus screen 4.6-4-7" to be the sweet spot for me. 4.2 is nice as well. I wish the 5S had a larger screen, but the iPhone screen isn't all that bad, still has over 300ppi and has very accurate color reproduction as tested by anandtech. Not as good as the 5, but still good enough for me right now. I would love if the next one had a 1080p 4.6" screen. Maybe they can get the same resolution as iPads and blow past everyone else, that would be great for competition. We do have curved screens out now as well.

EDIT- Apparently the only screenshots I have available on my Z10 is my app list for posting in CrackBerrys wallpaper thread. The device was always off the charger by 7:15AM and was dying by 10:30PM on average. For me, the battery life difference is huge. The Z10 gets more screen on time than my Nexus.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-09-13 at 03:20 PM.
    12-09-13 03:04 PM
    Going past 350 for PPI on a handheld device would get sort of wasteful.

I'd suggest trying 10.2.0.1803. There's techniques you can use to get it from servers in other locations. It's definitely worth the hassle in terms of battery life.

There's also the issue of how the Z10 handles multitasking. The iPhone only allows certain kinds of apps to use real 'multitasking' (ie: music players that run in the background.) Other apps enter a suspended state in the background.

Unlike the Playbook, which allows users to control background application behaviour, BB10 doesn't seem to offer this option yet. At that point its up to the developers to code apps that don't suck up huge amounts of background resources while the app is sitting in an active frame.

If you were to upgrade to 10.2.1, the new device monitor will actually show you where your battery drain is occurring.

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android'-img_00000252.png
    12-09-13 04:16 PM
    Going past 350 for PPI on a handheld device would get sort of wasteful.

I'd suggest trying 10.2.0.1803. There's techniques you can use to get it from servers in other locations. It's definitely worth the hassle in terms of battery life.

There's also the issue of how the Z10 handles multitasking. The iPhone only allows certain kinds of apps to use real 'multitasking' (ie: music players that run in the background.) Other apps enter a suspended state in the background.

Unlike the Playbook, which allows users to control background application behaviour, BB10 doesn't seem to offer this option yet. At that point its up to the developers to code apps that don't suck up huge amounts of background resources while the app is sitting in an active frame.

If you were to upgrade to 10.2.1, the new device monitor will actually show you where your battery drain is occurring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000252.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	228430
    Yes maybe one of these days I will update to the newest leak. I haven't even updated my Nexus ROMs in a while. I'm slacking. I decided to get the 5S and take a break from installing leaks and tinkering with ROMs. Updates also come instantly which is nice.
    12-09-13 04:21 PM
    It's worth it.

Android and iOS have had years to tweak their system. BB10 hasn't been in the market for a full year yet, so optimizations will be plentiful in updates for a little while yet.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-09-13 04:24 PM
169 ... 567