You realize that if this guy worked at NeXT, he helped invent the Internet.
    While a picture of Tim Berners-Lee's computer is certainly an interesting part of tech history, your overreaching attempts to malign app_Developer are starting to look pretty silly at this point.
    m1a1mg, hpt, avt123 and 3 others like this.
    12-03-13 07:47 PM
    So that has been my point all along, that RTOS are awesome for certain applications, but not necessarily all applications. I think a modern smartphone is closer to a PC than a embedded control system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Yes and that's the main issue with today's m9bile OSes.

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-04-13 07:42 AM
    While a picture of Tim Berners-Lee's computer is certainly an interesting part of tech history, your overreaching attempts to malign app_Developer are starting to look pretty silly at this point.
    You're not amazed by the influential celebrity we have here posting about his legendary tech exploits?
    12-04-13 08:12 AM
    So that has been my point all along, that RTOS are awesome for certain applications, but not necessarily all applications. I think a modern smartphone is closer to a PC than a embedded control system.

As for the continued personal attacks, it is in fact possible to work in an industry for nearly 25 years and over that time work on a few different things. I think that's actually pretty likely if you stick with the software industry for as long as I have.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Still, you went to Berkeley and worked on Mach, worked with Jobs at NeXT, work for Homeland Security, major social media apps, etc.

Yet still don't understand the concept of a strong trusted computing base and can't come up with a better alias than a generic 'app_Developer'.
    12-04-13 08:26 AM
    It's not that I have anything against App_Dev personally, I just think he's probably a paid shill.
    12-04-13 02:02 PM
    It's not that I have anything against App_Dev personally, I just think he's probably a paid shill.
    Ouch. Is this a violation of TOS?
    12-05-13 10:43 PM
    You're not amazed by the influential celebrity we have here posting about his legendary tech exploits?
    Still, you went to Berkeley and worked on Mach, worked with Jobs at NeXT, work for Homeland Security, major social media apps, etc.

Yet still don't understand the concept of a strong trusted computing base and can't come up with a better alias than a generic 'app_Developer'.
    Ouch. Is this a violation of TOS?
    For someone whose post history is full of erroneous pronouncements and prognostications, morlock_man is awful quick to attack another poster's credibility.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-05-13 11:10 PM
    Hey, he's already admitted to working for Steve Jobs.

And shills are just paid trolls.
    12-06-13 04:45 AM
    I also don't claim to have built the industry from scratch with my bare hands.
    12-06-13 04:52 AM
    I also don't claim to have built the industry from scratch with my bare hands.

Neither did he.

It was you who made the ridiculous assertion that the simple fact of working for NeXT somehow meant someone was claiming they "helped build the internet" or something.

Are you 12?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-06-13 06:09 AM
    Neither did he.

It was you who made the ridiculous assertion that the simple fact of working for NeXT somehow meant someone was claiming they "helped build the internet" or something.

Are you 12?
    Have you no sense of the absurdity in this discussion?

I was extended the exaggeration after he claimed to help build Mach and then went to work for Steve Jobs at NeXT. NeXT only had about 540 employees and only sold 50,000 pcs, one of which became the foundation for the development of the internet. Openstep, the OS developed for NeXT machines, also had nothing to do with Mach, so not only was A_D lucky enough to go to Berkeley and work on Mach, but he also go to be one of the 500 people who worked with Steve Jobs developing the foundation for his next-gen OS. That would put him in very exclusive company.

Anyone can make a claim on the internet. It helps your case if you can string together enough words to make your argument intelligible and reasonable without claiming to have been integral in developing all the technology.

He's making an argument from authority, mine is an argument from incredulity which states:

"Based on what you're saying to me, you must be lying, because anonymous people who make great claims of extensive knowledge on the internet usually are."

(Both arguments are logical fallacies.)
    12-06-13 06:34 AM
    I was extended the exaggeration after he claimed to help build Mach and then went to work for Steve Jobs at NeXT. NeXT only had about 540 employees and only sold 50,000 pcs, one of which became the foundation for the development of the internet. Openstep, the OS developed for NeXT machines, also had nothing to do with Mach, so not only was A_D lucky enough to go to Berkeley and work on Mach, but he also go to be one of the 500 people who worked with Steve Jobs developing the foundation for his next-gen OS. That would put him in very exclusive company.

I don't know about that. NeXT was IIRC in Redwood City or Mountain View, which is about a 45 minute drive from Berkeley. There are a LOT of people around here that have worked for a lot of "big name" companies, it is you who is making a mountain out of a molehill. This is Silicon Valley fer chrissakes.

Making connections like "helped invent the internet" is the most ridiculous nonsense - it's as if you claim to have helped liberate India from the British because you used the same brand of eyeglasses Gandhi did.

In reality, while NeXT was a nice product in certain ways, its commercial impact on the market was nominal if not trivial - I'm not sure they ever actually made money. If Apple hadn't bought the company and technology there's a good chance they may have just closed up shop soon after that. Jobs also hadn't reached the kind of deified reputation he has now, either. On the contrary, he had a reputation of being a big SOB to work for, actually.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 12-06-13 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Remove extraneous quote tag
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-06-13 07:41 AM
    And anyone can make whatever claim to authority they want.

Myself, I'm in electronics engineering. My education is in communications technology and process control systems. And what comes out of his mouth is largely gibberish to my ears when he starts talking about how a strong trusted computing base isn't the holy grail for enterprise and industry.

Also, NeXT was pretty influential in developing object-oriented programming and next-gen GUIs. You can talk all you want about it as a commercial failure, it still had it's impact. And that also didn't stop Apple from picking them up and turning their work into the foundation of it's current commercial success.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-06-13 08:21 AM
    And anyone can make whatever claim to authority they want.

Myself, I'm in electronics engineering. My education is in communications technology and process control systems. And what comes out of his mouth is largely gibberish to my ears when he starts talking about how a strong trusted computing base isn't the holy grail for enterprise and industry.

Also, NeXT was pretty influential in developing object-oriented programming and next-gen GUIs. You can talk all you want about it as a commercial failure, it still had it's impact. And that also didn't stop Apple from picking them up and turning their work into the foundation of it's current commercial success.
    I hear ya. I'm not educated enough in these matters to speak substantively but when I see a someone's background get attacked it usually throws up a red flag.
    12-06-13 10:43 AM
    I hear ya. I'm not educated enough in these matters to speak substantively but when I see a someone's background get attacked it usually throws up a red flag.
    Yeah. But there's a growing awareness of social media engineering taking place between the larger vendors. Planting people in forums, fake twitter and facebook accounts, all trying to sway public opinion by pretending to be real people with real opinions.

If App_Dev isn't a shill and everything he's said is true, he's just coming here to root for his home team using his knowledge of tech from 20 years ago, when microkernels were in their infancy.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-06-13 11:14 AM
    Yeah. But there's a growing awareness of social media engineering taking place between the larger vendors. Planting people in forums, fake twitter and facebook accounts, all trying to sway public opinion by pretending to be real people with real opinions.

If App_Dev isn't a shill and everything he's said is true, he's just coming here to root for his home team using his knowledge of tech from 20 years ago, when microkernels were in their infancy.
    By that metric, your continued participation in the "I support BlackBerry" thread should lead us to believe that, despite a mountain of evidence, you continue to fail to see what is obvious to a great number of people. Not something that most engineers or scientists that I've met would do. Jus sayin.
    chr1sny likes this.
    12-06-13 12:48 PM
    My education is in communications technology and process control systems. And what comes out of his mouth is largely gibberish to my ears when he starts talking about how a strong trusted computing base isn't the holy grail for enterprise and industry.

You of course realize that BlackBerry 10 is hardly just generic Neutrino.

"Trusted Computing Base" from the standpoint of Neutrino basically, AFAIK, refers to the core OS/kernel, not a big giant hairball like BlackBerry 10 that is layered on top of that.

I'm a big fan of BlackBerry's technology in general and have been accused NUMEROUS times of being a "fanboy" - I don't have a history of bashing the platform for no reason. (In fact, I even quoted you in a recent defense of their security architecture - see this post and others in the same thread by me.)

But some things deserve criticism, and when it comes to extrapolating that the "trusted computing base" is automatically better, that's only partially true.

Because despite BlackBerry talking about things like nuclear power stations and various highly reliable QNX use cases like Cisco carrier routing systems and so on, the fact remains that BlackBerry 10 is NOT simply Neutrino, and all we have to do to be quickly reminded of this is remember the horrible debacle around random rebooting problems that afflicted the OS very very badly from the time it was publicly available until the time (approximately 7 months later) that the 10.1 MR came out. (I suffered greatly from that problem with my own devices, until I took it upon myself to install leaked OS's containing fixes for it, months before my carrier got around to doing so.)

It makes little difference if the kernel is sitting there running like a top while your UI/display and/or filesystem and/or communications processes have croaked and you can neither interact with the device, communicate with anything, or read/write data. Presumably Neutrino can automatically kill and restart dead processes but that's not necessarily a panacea either. I assume the reason that the "Sanity Monitor" restarts the entire device (which was what was happening with the random rebooting issues) is to ensure the device maintains a predictable/synchronized state, rather than some scenario where random processes are restarted but are "out of sync" with other things that are going on or have occurred. Or just to remove the confluence of factors that tickled an error (apparently something to do with radio code) in something layered on top of Neutrino that deadlocked certain processes.

Likewise, Neutrino can be trustworthy as hell, but all it takes are flaws in layered components like the Flash Player or Webkit and so on, to create system vulnerabilities. (Both of which have happened already this year, read the security advisories)
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-06-13 06:26 PM
    NeXT only had about 540 employees and only sold 50,000 pcs, one of which became the foundation for the development of the internet.

I have to correct this nonsense.

Tim Berners-Lee's World Wide Web (developed circa 1990) is NOT "The Internet". (begun circa 1969-1974)

THAT is probably the MOST ridiculous piece of hyperbole as I have seen anywhere ITT.
    12-06-13 06:40 PM
    This has got to be the most helirous thing I've seen today, after all the Android hating I've read on Crackberry . Now BlackBerry has won the War on Android by "Becoming a better version of Android" then Android devices. We'll just change the name of the BlackBerry devices to Androidberry's and start a new marketing campaign and all will be fixed.
    Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android'-1386377582858.jpg

Increaseing from 3.6 percent of market share is going to require one heck of a marketing operation, but since BlackBerry can now out Android my Android devices the market should flood back to BlackBerry devices.

LOL

Sent from my Samsung Tab 2 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-06-13 07:02 PM
    PlayBook is likely an unfair example...take a new Z for a spin and see the real efficiencies.

Posted via CB10
    I multitask just as well on my Nexus and iPhone 5S as I do on my Z10. The battery life on my Z10 is better than my Galaxy Nexus (barely, and that is bad considering the Galaxy Nexus LTE module is separate), and awful compared to my 5S.

Where are these efficiencies of QNX?

Since the QNX purchase, people have been making it sound like the Holy Grail of computing.

Is it BB10 getting in the way? Where is QNX making my Z10 experience that much better that a different kernel couldn't do the same thing?
    12-06-13 07:16 PM
    The constant bashing of an individual in this thread just reads like someone is jealous that they didn't have such an impact on the tech industry and the continued success as the one they are bashing
    Omnitech and Mecca EL like this.
    12-06-13 07:32 PM
    I multitask just as well on my Nexus and iPhone 5S as I do on my Z10. The battery life on my Z10 is better than my Galaxy Nexus (barely, and that is bad considering the Galaxy Nexus LTE module is separate), and awful compared to my 5S.

Where are these efficiencies of QNX?

On all Verizon iPhone models up through the 5s and 5c, Apple continues to lack an important feature that all BB10 devices and most Android LTE devices have long offered: simultaneous LTE and CDMA radio operation.

Presumably they did this mostly for battery-life reasons.

But the corollary is, NONE of the iPhones that any of the US CDMA carriers (Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS) have ever offered have been able to support simultaneous voice and data functionality. That's a significant handicap. I was just on the phone yesterday with a friend of mine who couldn't look at an email I just sent her on her iPhone because she was on a phone call with me at the time.

If you don't mind giving up such functionality, then you can have lower battery consumption.

Life is full of tradeoffs.

iPhone 5S And 5C Will Still Not Do Simultaneous Data And Voice On Verizon Or Sprint | TechCrunch
    12-07-13 03:53 AM
    You've come out of the woodwork today.

How many times has BB10 been rooted?

What's that? Never?

That really should answer your questions.

If it doesn't then what's the point of continuing these discussions?
    12-07-13 07:26 AM
    I have to correct this nonsense.

Tim Berners-Lee's World Wide Web (developed circa 1990) is NOT "The Internet". (begun circa 1969-1974)

THAT is probably the MOST ridiculous piece of hyperbole as I have seen anywhere ITT.
    Sorry, not the 'internet'. The 'world wide web'.

But to the average person who hadn't heard of the Internet prior to the 90s, TBL's contribution is what brought it into their homes. Without it, then Internet would not have become as commonplace.

So not 'the internet', but 'the modern internet'.

Also, took you long enough to cherry pick that nugget of gold.
    12-07-13 07:34 AM
    Sorry, not the 'internet'. The 'world wide web'.

But to the average person who hadn't heard of the Internet prior to the 90s, TBL's contribution is what brought it into their homes. Without it, then Internet would not have become as commonplace.

So not 'the internet', but 'the modern internet'.

Also, took you long enough to cherry pick that nugget of gold.

The way you participate in a discussion, I'm beginning to understand what someone else said about you previously ITT.

Regardless your spin above, "WWW" is not "The Internet", nor is it even "The modern Internet".

Because, among various other things, without TCP/IP, there is no "WWW". Without DNS, web browsing would basically be an inconvenient struggle as well. And yanno, things might be slightly different in this world without SMTP and email and stuff.

In other words, you were wrong, that is all.

I'm sure you'll make some sort of defiant followup to this, feel free. I'm done wasting time w/ you.
    chr1sny likes this.
    12-07-13 07:45 AM
169 ... 4567