is this post a joke?

Android compatibility in BB10 certainly is.

I wouldn't be praising or congratulating anyone at this point. Run Android apps like a true Android device and then maybe some praise is merited.
    11-29-13 09:30 PM
    Your argument holds no water. You assume that Android requires security holes. It does not. Just more work.

Further, BB failed to adapt 6 years ago, quite vociferously. BB10 was at least 2 years late.
    BlackBerry themselves said they researched using Android and came to the conclusion it wasn't in the best interest to the company or there customers.

With BlackBerry being the gold standard in security for 95% of there existence, I'm sure they made they proper choice when choosing what o's to use.

If BlackBerry used android and made it as secure as they can, what would be stopping samsung or any mother company from doing the same thing.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    11-29-13 11:09 PM
    BlackBerry themselves said they researched using Android and came to the conclusion it wasn't in the best interest to the company or there customers.

With BlackBerry being the gold standard in security for 95% of there existence, I'm sure they made they proper choice when choosing what o's to use.

If BlackBerry used android and made it as secure as they can, what would be stopping samsung or any mother company from doing the same thing.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82

are you high?
    11-29-13 11:12 PM
    is this post a joke?

Android compatibility in BB10 certainly is.

I wouldn't be praising or congratulating anyone at this point. Run Android apps like a true Android device and then maybe some praise is merited.
    Really?

My z10 runs instagram better then my s4 mini, so what's a true android run like if I may ask? Because out of the 7 androids I've owned none have been as stable as ios or bb10, including my g tab 3 .

Omnitech and Mecca EL like this.
    11-29-13 11:14 PM
    are you high?
    I may be but that's none of your business. I'm only speaking factual information.

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-29-13 11:15 PM
    Really?

My z10 runs instagram better then my s4 mini, so what's a true android run like if I may ask? Because out of the 7 androids I've owned none have been as stable as ios or bb10, including my g tab 3 .

lol are you freakin serious? I have an Xperia Ray, it's from 2011... and it runs everything perfectly fine without fail. I don't know wtf you do with your android devices to make them F up, but hey, that's your problem I guess.

Try running Android games on your BB10. You'll soon find out that ****e stinks.
    11-29-13 11:17 PM
    I use them as there designed to be used . I've had many and had bad battery stability issues with all. Doesn't mean I hate android as I own and use it. " Xperia arc, Xperia pro, LG thrill 3d, samsung gio, g s2, now a g s4 mini, and galaxy tab 3"

Edit: and my son plays candy crush all the time(the android version) as it runs better on my z10.

I'm running 10.2.1 so I download right from the 1mobile android store.

Attachment 225513

11-29-13 11:22 PM
    Interesting piece. Most of it is accurate but some of it just plain wrong.

Fool is talking about the splendors of 10.2.1 and doesn't know that hardware acceleration was brought with 10.2+? Smh.

Also not sure why it's an 'exclusive' lol. Nothing they've done has been a secret and nothing that article says hasn't been documented already across numerous blogs including the BlackBerry Developer Blog itself., maybe they just have exclusive quotes or something.
    Andrew's article was about how the native methods of Android apps are run on BB10, which hasn't been described before. Before 10.2.x, Android apps with native methods simply could not run on BB10, not even really slowly, so it's not about HW acceleration in this case.

Even after support for native methods was announced, there still was a lot of speculation regarding how fast BB10 can run them. Depending on the approach taken, they could have run at 1/10th the speed! The take-away from how BB10 supports native methods, as detailed in the article, is that they will run just as fast on BB10 as on Android. BB fans should rejoice at this!

The HW acceleration announcement for 10.2.x probably was about more Android APIs that the player provides getting hooked up to HW accelerated implementations, but has nothing to do with the support for native methods.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-30-13 12:32 AM
    is this post a joke?
    All your Android belong to us!

CB10 via Z10
    11-30-13 05:53 AM
    One thing is for sure, bb engineering talent is top class and second to none.

Posted via CB10
    Now if they pair that with similar Marketing, Sales and Business talent - where would be the limit?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-30-13 08:33 AM
    I also think it's worth pointing out that if QNX hadn't been a Canadian company (if they had been a French company for instance) then BB10 would have been built on Linux and this particular bit of work wouldn't have been necessary to begin with. In fact, BB10 and this level of android runtime would have made it to market sooner and probably would have seen more success by now.
    Aye, similarly to all those world-famous recent French technological achievements especially in the OS/mobile industry like...

...umm, yeah, never mind, sorry.

Linux & Java combo made Android slow and heavy, a monster.
    On top of it being French would be essentially a death sentence to any mobile OS, for multiple reasons: French are BY FAR the most disgusting, unscrupulous spying scumbags so an OS would be full of backdoors etc,
    2. French technical expertise & culture SUCKS, BIG TIME, INCOMPETENT AND CONTRA-SELECTIVE, literally ages behind Anglo-Saxon culture, which brings.us to its
    3. Likely non-production quality for years - witness literally EVERY industry in France: they are either heavily subsidized or practically state-run or depend on protective measures; all propped up by 'etatism' essentially, one way or another, there is NOT ONE THING made in France that survived globally on pure market condition.

Calling for a French (!) linux-based BB10 is probably the most clueless post about software/OS development on these boards until date.
    12-02-13 07:47 PM
    Aye, similarly to all those world-famous recent French technological achievements especially in the OS/mobile industry like...

...umm, yeah, never mind, sorry.

Linux & Java combo made Android slow and heavy, a monster.
    On top of it being French would be essentially a death sentence to any mobile OS, for multiple reasons: French are BY FAR the most disgusting, unscrupulous spying scumbags so an OS would be full of backdoors etc,
    2. French technical expertise & culture SUCKS, BIG TIME, INCOMPETENT AND CONTRA-SELECTIVE, literally ages behind Anglo-Saxon culture, which brings.us to its
    3. Likely non-production quality for years - witness literally EVERY industry in France: they are either heavily subsidized or practically state-run or depend on protective measures; all propped up by 'etatism' essentially, one way or another, there is NOT ONE THING made in France that survived globally on pure market condition.

Calling for a French (!) linux-based BB10 is probably the most clueless post about software/OS development on these boards until date.
    While I have no love for France, and I can attest to point #2 dealing with a large French telecom manufacturer, I'd have to disagree with the "NOT ONE THING". I don't even drink wine, and it only took 2 seconds for that to come to mind. Food was second. But nothing comes to mind today, electronics wise.

While Alcatel is not where it was years ago, Alcatel was a major force in telecom at one point when Nortel was. Coming back to point 2, I did a week of interning at one of their places. Engineers were supposed to be there for 38+ hours a week (which is already low for a high technology company), but the lab technician said they were lucky if they were there for 32 hours a week. The company had an on-site gym, fooseball table, provided free lunch, etc. It certainly shaped the way I think of engineers at the time.
    12-02-13 08:27 PM
    While Alcatel is not where it was years ago, Alcatel was a major force in telecom at one point when Nortel was. Coming back to point 2, I did a week of interning at one of their places. Engineers were supposed to be there for 38+ hours a week (which is already low for a high technology company), but the lab technician said they were lucky if they were there for 32 hours a week. The company had an on-site gym, fooseball table, provided free lunch, etc. It certainly shaped the way I think of engineers at the time.

Alcatel took over Lucent and has $15B/yr revenue, I'd say that's pretty significant.

Also Groupe Bull is a pretty large technology company headquartered in France. (~$1B annual revenue)

And then we have companies like Arianne and Airbus, etc. Not tech companies per-se but producing state-of-the-art aerospace products.

Oh and, yanno, stuff like the Large Hadron Collider, which France was a key participant in.
    12-02-13 08:52 PM
    Alcatel took over Lucent and has $15B/yr revenue, I'd say that's pretty significant.

Also Groupe Bull is a pretty large technology company headquartered in France. (~$1B annual revenue)

And then we have companies like Arianne and Airbus, etc. Not tech companies per-se but producing state-of-the-art aerospace products.

Oh and, yanno, stuff like the Large Hadron Collider, which France was a key participant in.
    Are you making the point by pointing out Alcatel-Lucent is losing money? "After 7 consecutive years of negative cash flows..."

Science is also supported by government and private sector, not from turning a profit from running a good company or product.

And then there's the airbus bribery scandals...

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 09:30 PM
    What real-time kernels did Microsoft ship? For embedded devices?
    BTW, I realize I forgot to answer this question.

Windows CE is an RTOS, and that was used all the way up to WP7. Then Microsoft decided on modern smartphones that NT made more sense and so they went away from their RTOS kernel.

Palm OS used the AMX RTOS kernel. Then Palm decided that on modern smartphones, Linux made more sense. And so Palm went away from their RTOS kernel.

The Android team looked at the different options available to them, including QNX which, if you remember, was open source at that time. And the Android team decided that Linux made more sense.

At NeXT we experimented with real time schedulers because of what we were doing with video on tiny 68040's. The original iPod used a real time scheduler. And then Apple decided with the iPhone that Mach made more sense and so they also went away from what they had done with the iPod.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-02-13 at 11:52 PM.
    BCITMike likes this.
    12-02-13 11:38 PM
    While I have no love for France, and I can attest to point #2 dealing with a large French telecom manufacturer, I'd have to disagree with the "NOT ONE THING". I don't even drink wine, and it only took 2 seconds for that to come to mind. Food was second. But nothing comes to mind today, electronics wise.

Wine has nothing to do with technology per se, I thought it's obvious I was talking about relevant industries.
    BTW farmers including wineries ARE heavily subsidized in EU-wide agreements, khm.

Alcatel is a shining example of propped-up emterprise that would have collapsed already ANYWHERE ELSE - even its patent portfolio mostly came from Lucent (another corruption-fed entity at the time or.am I thinking of someone else?), I believe.
    Last edited by szlevi; 12-03-13 at 02:30 AM.
    12-03-13 01:42 AM
    [QUOTE=Omnitech;9646743]Alcatel took over Lucent and has $15B/yr revenue, I'd say that's pretty significant.[/quote

Again, Alcatel could never survive in real market conditions, just likeall French "significant" companies...

Right except nobody ever heard of it outside Francophone countries which are ruled by the usual French state-run corruption scheme (it is something actually they mastered beyond the Brits' famously corrupt global approaches eg BEA's scumbag weapon dealings, bidding done by PMs etc.)

And then we have companies like Arianne
    AFAIK not even French, just French-run and it's a clearly state- and EU-sponsored, wouldn't even exist without direct orders paid from European taxpayers' money..

and Airbus, etc.
    Ahaha, the largest, most hilariously incompetent-inefficient EU-sanctioned, state-money sponsored company of the world - and it's not even French, without the Germans etc it wouldn't exist at all... citing Airbus as a market-based tech leader or even a respectable actor is akin to listing the Chinese "system" as an example of "democracy" without the excesses of capitalist democracies - it's a joke, and a bad one at that.
    (FYI I don't think Boeing is any.better but at least they are propped up by open military tenders, not subsidies, direct investments etc.)

Not tech companies per-se but producing state-of-the-art aerospace products.
    No, they are producing them at A COST THAT'S FAR ABOVE THEIR PRICE, thriving on state money. Since it does not have any juicy military contract Airbus would be long dead without the continued direct investment of the goverments.

Heck, for God sake, Airbus is STATE-OWNED, run by DIRECT POLITICAL INFLUENCE, see their failed merger with BAE when both German and Fremch governments turned down the request of divesting or at least limiting their direct hands-on "diktat"-based corporate governance, in order to not to endanger BEA's existing Pentagon positions.

Aye, I know - it's a pan-European scientific program, largely centered around CERN, France gave money and land and some personnel (along with 10+ other countries including some of my friends fron Europe), nothing more but, as always, loves to claim it as their own - which it is clearly not, let alone as a scientific research center it has no market-based existence at all (and not even run by French as I recall.)
    12-03-13 02:10 AM
    BTW, I realize I forgot to answer this question.

Windows CE is an RTOS, and that was used all the way up to WP7. Then Microsoft decided on modern smartphones that NT made more sense and so they went away from their RTOS kernel.

Palm OS used the AMX RTOS kernel. Then Palm decided that on modern smartphones, Linux made more sense. And so Palm went away from their RTOS kernel.

The Android team looked at the different options available to them, including QNX which, if you remember, was open source at that time. And the Android team decided that Linux made more sense.

At NeXT we experimented with real time schedulers because of what we were doing with video on tiny 68040's. The original iPod used a real time scheduler. And then Apple decided with the iPhone that Mach made more sense and so they also went away from what they had done with the iPod.
    1. WinCE was a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE product, its memory architecture/mgmt etc were COMPLETE JUNK - you might list it as RTOS but it was practically a junk, everybody knew that, MS had no choice but to abandon it completely.

2. WebOS was born on (and died of) a lot of miscalculation, in the.light of their weak initial HW using linux kernel was probably one of them aiming for HTML another one) - they could have build it on a stronger HW but that would have priced it out of any sane person's price range...

3. Android is NOT A MARKET-BASED PROJECT, they didn't and still does not have to brong in ANY MONEY, they had time to wait for 1.5Ghz.dual-core 2GB platforms, spending YEARS churning out one junk OS after another - practically all Android was a crap before Gingerbread.
    BTW it's not about being OSS but about licences: I dont believe QNX had similar licensing, linux was way more allowing (maybe I'm wrong?)
    12-03-13 02:23 AM
    At NeXT we experimented with real time schedulers because of what we were doing with video on tiny 68040's.

Heh, "tiny". When the 68040 CPU came out it was considered a monster, and as I recall more powerful than anything Intel had at the time. Ah, them's were the days.. I have a Mac IIci still around here somewhere, based on a 25Mhz 68030. Price when it came out in 1989: $6300. The subsequent IIfx with a 40Mhz 68030 - $9900. That was some serious money in those days. (About $17,000 in 2013 dollars. Can we imagine anyone paying that kind of money for a personal computer these days? )

The Quadras were the ones with the 68040s. Always liked the NeXt stuff, elegant UI, nice industrial design.
    12-03-13 04:54 AM
    [rant rant rant] Alcatel [rant rant rant] Groupe Bull [rant rant rant] Airbus [rant rant rant] LHC/CERN

All I'm saying is that they are large companies using advanced technologies that sell a lot of products, or in the LHC's case, do scientific work never done anywhere else in history. In the case of Airbus, only them and Boeing are even in the airliner markets they are in, and both companies get coddled and subsidized by their respective governments in various ways.

As far as Lucent being "corrupt", no. Lucent came from the former Bell Labs, and their legacy includes some of the most important technological innovations in history, including the invention of the first functioning silicon transistor and the Unix operating system.
    12-03-13 05:05 AM
    Heh, "tiny". When the 68040 CPU came out it was considered a monster, and as I recall more powerful than anything Intel had at the time. Ah, them's were the days.. I have a Mac IIci still around here somewhere, based on a 25Mhz 68030. Price when it came out in 1989: $6300. The subsequent IIfx with a 40Mhz 68030 - $9900.
    The IIci was my last Mac until OS X. Loved that thing. Mine is still in the basement, too. It's moved around the country with me all these years even though it hasn't been on since maybe the mid 90's.

The Quadra 950 was awesome, but by then of course I had a NeXTstation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-03-13 06:50 AM
    So you helped design Mach, which became the (half-completed) foundation of OSX and also worked for Steve Jobs himself before he returned to Apple Computers. Then went on to design several super popular social media apps you won't mention before moving on to working for homeland security or some other thing. Amazing you have this much time to waste in a forum.

You sir, sound very similar to a certain pathological person who's pants are currently aflame.

Also, Windows CE was never a hard RTOS, only a soft one. A hard RTOS, like QNX, takes less that 10 microseconds to deal with interrupt requests. Windows CE, on its best day, takes 5 times as long, sometimes 10 times as long. This may not seem like an issue when dealing with a human computer interface, but for applications with frequent interrupts designed to respond instantly to dynamically changing situations (see: nuclear power plants, process control systems, the space station, most automated systems in general, etc) Windows CE can miss 4-9 interrupt requests during the same time that QNX addresses each of them.

Which system would you rather have driving your car?
    Last edited by morlock_man; 12-03-13 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spell check
    szlevi likes this.
    12-03-13 08:28 AM
    You realize that if this guy worked at NeXT, he helped invent the Internet.

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android'-first_web_server.jpg
    12-03-13 09:06 AM
    You realize that if this guy worked at NeXT, he helped invent the Internet.
    So Al Gore is on CrackBerry?
    12-03-13 09:19 AM

This may not seem like an issue when dealing with a human computer interface, but for applications with frequent interrupts designed to respond instantly to dynamically changing situations (see: nuclear power plants, process control systems, the space station, most automated systems in general, etc) Windows CE can miss 4-9 interrupt requests during the same time that QNX addresses each of them.

Which system would you rather have driving your car?
    So that has been my point all along, that RTOS are awesome for certain applications, but not necessarily all applications. I think a modern smartphone is closer to a PC than a embedded control system.

As for the continued personal attacks, it is in fact possible to work in an industry for nearly 25 years and over that time work on a few different things. I think that's actually pretty likely if you stick with the software industry for as long as I have.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-03-13 01:50 PM
169 ... 34567