He's been in this situation before...

""The first thing he did coming on board was to gain trust with customers and calm them down," said Willie Jow, a friend of Chen's and long-time Sybase executive who remained with the company after it was sold to SAP. "Everybody was staying ‘Why should I stay with you? Why shouldn't I leave right away?' He answered the tough questions one by one."

Chen is known to be a straight shooter who does not have patience for finger-pointing or complaining about something without suggesting what he feels is a legitimate proposal for fixing it.

One former employee says that Chen got riled up when a manager suggested changing the name of a product to boost lackluster sales. He responded by asking if it would also make sense to change the names of your children if they got bad grades in school."

New BlackBerry boss John Chen out to prove skeptics wrong | Reuters
    11-04-13 05:58 PM
    First time as first reply?
    11-04-13 06:05 PM
    Doesn't surprise me after watching the second video on the intro to Chen post. He basically said: uncertainty can kill a company. He believes that setting a clear course of action forward, and letting everyone know, is the best way to go.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the future for BlackBerry. I think Chen will do well at the helm for however long he will be at the helm.
    11-04-13 06:16 PM
    Just hearing about his background where he worked, known for turning around Sybase and his connections he looks very promising.

I guess we ll just have to wait and see.
    11-04-13 06:27 PM
    I'm pretty familiar with John Chen. I was a Sybase DBA as well as a Sybase stockholder in the late 90s / early 2000s. He did a great job turning around Sybase, but there are a couple of caveats:

First, once you install a database in your enterprise, it's extremely sticky. It's a major undertaking to replace it, so their customers didn't have a lot of choice except to stick with them. It's a lot easier for an enterprise to switch mobile providers.

Second, Sybase never really came back in databases. They were pushed out of their original business by Oracle and Microsoft*. They--like Apple would also do--innovated to create new markets in mobility. So, for John Chen to repeat his previous success, he'll need to find some new area where Blackberry can gain a foothold and successfully compete.

*As an aside, let me add that Microsoft out-competed Sybase using their own software, as SQL Server was originally just a licensed clone of Sybase's database server.
    11-05-13 12:19 AM
    "He responded by asking if it would also make sense to change the names of your children if they got bad grades in school."
    Well dang.

I'm intrigued to see what he'll do for the company. Remember though: he's interim CEO so don't get too comfortable with the idea of him being around long enough to impose enough of his will on the company's outlook.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:25 AM
    Well dang.

I'm intrigued to see what he'll do for the company. Remember though: he's interim CEO so don't get too comfortable with the idea of him being around long enough to impose enough of his will on the company's outlook.

Posted via CB10
    True, but being an interim is also used as a "testing" period for whether the company really wants the individual in said position. There's always a pretty good chance that the interim will be a top candidate.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    00stryder likes this.
    11-05-13 12:41 AM
    You had to stick with Sybase because the standard wasn't yet established.

MS SQL was originally licensed from Sybase and then modified, I think ANSI SQL was the standard for SQL programming cmd's (??)

Either way it took him 10yrs to make Sybase lucrative, bbw doesn't have 10yrs let alone 2 at present statement.
    11-05-13 01:21 AM
    True, but being an interim is also used as a "testing" period for whether the company really wants the individual in said position. There's always a pretty good chance that the interim will be a top candidate.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    Chen made a bundle with Sybase. His net worth must be in the high eight or low nine figures. He's got no particular need to take this job, so any testing period will be as much Chen deciding if he wants to be Blackberry's CEO as the board choosing him.

My completely unsupported speculation is that Chen was going to be named CEO of Blackberry after Fairfax took it private. When Watsa couldn't fund the buyout, Chen demurred taking over permanently, so he was named interim chief instead.
    11-05-13 01:29 AM
    Anyone but TH is good. TH's gestures and body language seems wrong all the time.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    11-05-13 02:21 AM
    I am not even cautiously optimistic. Once bitten, twice shy. CB was all over Thor's jock when he first took over. Personally it deluded to me buying BBRY stocks at $17. See how that turned out. So you can imagine where I am coming from.

Nobody knows the real state of BlackBerry and if the company will even survive long term. Chen could just be a figure head while the company is broken up and sold off in pieces.
    cwalt2166 and 00stryder like this.
    11-05-13 04:32 AM
    Please do not let the BlackBerry dead...
    11-05-13 04:47 AM
    A few positives for Chen early on:

He didn't start off by saying that there's nothing wrong with the company. When Heins said that was the moment I knew he would fail.

Chen accepts the reality that the hardware business is in dire straits, unlike the previous management who just put their head in the sand. Focusing on software, stop investing in hardware, may be the best bet.

The words "mobile computing" has never left Chen's mouth. This tells me he is not going to sell pipe dreams to the faithful.
    11-05-13 05:25 AM

One former employee says that Chen got riled up when a manager suggested changing the name of a product to boost lackluster sales. He responded by asking if it would also make sense to change the names of your children if they got bad grades in school."

New BlackBerry boss John Chen out to prove skeptics wrong | Reuters
    Great, another old dinosaur unaware of the present day importance of branding and image.

He will fit in perfectly with whatever is left of the previous management team. Rofl
    11-05-13 06:24 AM
    Great, another old dinosaur unaware of the present day importance of branding and image.

He will fit in perfectly with whatever is left of the previous management team. Rofl
    BlackBerry's brand is damaged, especially here in the US, but at the same time I don't think they would benefit from a brand changed. Rather, they need to show the public that this is BlackBerry reinvented, like what Apple did with its turnaround. Show that the company no longer holds on to the old ideals that put it in this precarious situation in the first place.

For BlackBerry, that means releasing phones on time, providing services and apps that work and work well (i.e. bring back the small nuances from BBOS that made it great like better BlackBerry Protect functionality and BB Traffic, while continuing to develop new services like Channels), and finding someone that can actually market the dang phones! It's amazing how many cool features are built into the BB10 devices that I do a better job of advertising to people I'm in contact with than the company itself.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 11-05-13 at 11:53 PM.
    11-05-13 11:35 AM
    Huh????.....
    11-05-13 11:46 PM

ROFL for sure. WTF?
    11-05-13 11:47 PM
    Chen made a bundle with Sybase. His net worth must be in the high eight or low nine figures. He's got no particular need to take this job, so any testing period will be as much Chen deciding if he wants to be Blackberry's CEO as the board choosing him.

My completely unsupported speculation is that Chen was going to be named CEO of Blackberry after Fairfax took it private. When Watsa couldn't fund the buyout, Chen demurred taking over permanently, so he was named interim chief instead.
    Problem, time tick tock. After 4-6 months he bails, now we gotta go through another learning period, observing, analyzing, meet and greet....this is not Home Depot or Piggly-Wiggly. The tech world is in Hyper-Drive while the dilly-dally goes on in Waterloo.
    11-06-13 01:31 AM