BlackBerry's (BBRY) CEO John Chen on Q2 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

John Chen

I'm announcing our intention or actually, I got the board approval to increase our current stock buyback program by up to additional -- another additional 15 million shares. I believe our current buyback that we announced a couple of months ago has 6 million shares left. So, this will become 21 million*shares.

Daniel Chan

Hi, good morning, thanks for taking my question. John,* BB10 has been out for nearly three years now and you've launched a number of new products like the Passport and the Classic recently. But that business continues to lose market share, device volumes continue to decline and with only 800,000 devices in the last quarter, when do you throw in the towel on BB10 and just say I'm going to focus on Android?

John Chen

Well, first of all, we'll have to make sure that Android is successful first. That's a good question. There is a very loyal base in the BB10, especially the government and some highly regulated industry customers. So we will have to see whether we can make money off that base, but in addition to that, if our plan of doing the BlackBerry Android type of implementation works well and the security side of the equation is well accepted by the governments and this base, of course we could then replace them or merge them into it.

Maynard Um

Okay. And should we expect any BB10 devices, as well, through this calendar year?

John Chen

For another new phone you mean?

Maynard Um

Yes.

John Chen

No, we don't have a plan for another BB10 device for this*year.

Posted from my Priv!
    12-06-15 03:17 PM
    12-06-15 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD