Hi Folks,

I pointed out in several threads that BB cannot sell more Q10 than Z10. The posts were based on statistics of our app downloads.

Our apps are equally useful and equally well done for both Q and Z.

Now, I am glad to report that last week is an obvious turning point. We had more downloads from Q than Z, consistently.

Mr. Heins made the right decision in promoting the Q. Professionals prefer keyboard.

I am glad to know that I was wrong saying BB cannot sell more Q than Z. Chances are good that this quarter BB sells more than 3 million BB 10 devices, more Q10 than Z10. However, I still believer BB cannot become the No.1 again with keyboard device alone. It must have a high spec big screen device with BEAUTIFUL and slim design and rock solid manufacturing quality. Of cause a keyboard with big screen is always the best.

I also hope BB will soon release a big Smart Screen for Q10, priced around $109.

BlackBerry people do. My fellow professionals and BB lovers, let's do more with BB10.

Go BB Go.
    08-17-13 08:41 AM
    That's interesting, thank you for sharing that. Are your Z and Q sales both increasing? Or has the Z sort of leveled off?
    08-17-13 08:45 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but at launch, didn't TH say that he expected that the Z would out sell the Q 3 to 1 or am I mixed up?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 08:49 AM
    You are quite correct neteng

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 08:59 AM
    I hope those expectations may come true. BlackBerry could use those sales. In my opinion the Q10 is a fine smartphone. It's just not another glass slab. It will not appeal to everyone, but BlackBerry qwerty users should be interested.

Posted via a laser focused BB10 device
    08-17-13 09:12 AM
    That's interesting, thank you for sharing that. Are your Z and Q sales both increasing? Or has the Z sort of leveled off?
    OP, please answer this question. Graphs would be really instructive. Also, what kind of apps are these?

One explanation is that Z10 downloads have simply just tapered off. Most app downloads happen when the device is newly bought, when the user plays with their device a lot. The exploration phase of Z10 is long past, while the Q10 is still relatively new.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    08-17-13 09:19 AM
    If the Q is selling better than the Z it could be that consumers are not buying the Z. After all QWERTY phones are not very popular . Maybe the new lower prices may help.
    08-17-13 09:38 AM
    If the Q is selling better than the Z it could be that consumers are not buying the Z. After all QWERTY phones are not very popular . Maybe the new lower prices may help.
    I would guess that the Q10 would outsell the Z10. I suspect that they could have gotten better numbers with the Q10 first. That wouldn't have been as dismal as the first quarter numbers were. While I understand that there are a limited number of people who want physical keyboards, BB owns that market. In terms of virtual keyboards I can't see much of a reason to buy a Z10 over an iPhone or high end Android. At the very least, the Z10 is in a much tougher competitive space than the Q10 is in.
    08-17-13 05:57 PM
    As of last week, my Q sales are a 1:4 ratio

Keep in mind this varies from app to app for many reasons.

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-17-13 06:05 PM
    Extremely anal shareholder here, giving my 2 cents. I did some math from the past 2 quarterly reports to try and figure out actual sales price for the BB10 phones, and sales of the 2 different phones. For the last quarter the math revealed that out of the 2.7 million BB10 phones sold, 1.9million were Q10, and 0.8 million were Z10. If those numbers don't shock you they should. It's good on one hand since for the Z10s first quarter of sales they sold 1 million, so the Q10 sold almost double that with a similar time frame and availability in different regions. Bad in that Z10 sales were terrible! It's pretty clear after store shelves were stocked, that inventory didn't move very quick, so no wonder they lowered the price! There have been rumors that the Q10 has been out of stock in many places, so hopefully that is a good sign that they are selling much better.
    08-17-13 06:19 PM
    Extremely anal shareholder here, giving my 2 cents. I did some math from the past 2 quarterly reports to try and figure out actual sales price for the BB10 phones, and sales of the 2 different phones. For the last quarter the math revealed that out of the 2.7 million BB10 phones sold, 1.9million were Q10, and 0.8 million were Z10. If those numbers don't shock you they should. It's good on one hand since for the Z10s first quarter of sales they sold 1 million, so the Q10 sold almost double that with a similar time frame and availability in different regions. Bad in that Z10 sales were terrible! It's pretty clear after store shelves were stocked, that inventory didn't move very quick, so no wonder they lowered the price! There have been rumors that the Q10 has been out of stock in many places, so hopefully that is a good sign that they are selling much better.
    Care to share your calculations?
    08-17-13 06:41 PM
    I would be very keen to see the calculation as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 07:16 PM
    Basically what I did is make 3 formulas for 3 unknowns, the unknowns being ASP (actual sales price) for the 3 types of products that BB separates on their financials. These are BB10 devices, legacy devices, and the playbook. So what I did is make a formula for hardware for 3 separate quarters. The formula for fiscal year 2013 4th quarter looked like 1*bb10 + 6.7*legacy + 0.37playbook=$2700 (these numbers might not be exact I am just going by memory, and all numbers are in millions). So I made 3 formulas for q2, q3, and q4 for fiscal 2013, and crunched the numbers to solve for the 3 unknowns. The BB10 number was about $420, but in the 4th quarter only the z had been released, so this was the ASP for the Z10. I did the same for the most recent quarter, and the BB10 ASP had gone up to $460, but this time it included the z and the q. Now we know that the total sales for bb10 was to 2.7, so we can make another formula 2.7=Z10+Q10. I couldn't solve for the Q10 explicitly as I could the Z10, but I made the assumption that the ASP would be $50 more, as the price the customer would pay was also $50 more for the Q versus the Z. I then worked out the ratio to get approximately 1.9 million Qs and 0.8 million. This also assumes price for the z didn't go down, which judging by sales, might not be true. Sorry for the delay in response, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    08-18-13 11:00 PM
    Basically what I did is make 3 formulas for 3 unknowns, the unknowns being ASP (actual sales price) for the 3 types of products that BB separates on their financials. These are BB10 devices, legacy devices, and the playbook. So what I did is make a formula for hardware for 3 separate quarters. The formula for fiscal year 2013 4th quarter looked like 1*bb10 + 6.7*legacy + 0.37playbook=$2700 (these numbers might not be exact I am just going by memory, and all numbers are in millions). So I made 3 formulas for q2, q3, and q4 for fiscal 2013, and crunched the numbers to solve for the 3 unknowns. The BB10 number was about $420, but in the 4th quarter only the z had been released, so this was the ASP for the Z10. I did the same for the most recent quarter, and the BB10 ASP had gone up to $460, but this time it included the z and the q. Now we know that the total sales for bb10 was to 2.7, so we can make another formula 2.7=Z10+Q10. I couldn't solve for the Q10 explicitly as I could the Z10, but I made the assumption that the ASP would be $50 more, as the price the customer would pay was also $50 more for the Q versus the Z. I then worked out the ratio to get approximately 1.9 million Qs and 0.8 million. This also assumes price for the z didn't go down, which judging by sales, might not be true. Sorry for the delay in response, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Very... interesting.

In other words you just made a wild guess? Selling price will affect the number of sales (you would think BBRY would know that), but it is NOT the sole deciding factor in the number of devices being sold.

Of course the OP's evidence of their being more downloads by Q10 owners = the possibility that the Q10 might out sell the Z10 and this would be a good thing is also a little faulty. Wouldn't be all that hard to do based on the Z10 numbers from the 1Q, and it could also be a reflection on how bad the Z10 is doing up against all the other slab smartphones out there. Don't think BlackBerry want to be only a maker of devices with keyboards.... there aren't enough of those type users to create a viable ecosystem.
    08-19-13 11:15 AM
    I wonder if part of the Q10 increase could be chalked-up to a higher Z10 return rate, due to the inherent heating/battery drain issues.
    Personally, I am on Z10 #3 since Feb.06.

I really hope that this very known issue has been remedied and the new Z10 refresh devices are ok. I will know in a couple of weeks when #2 comes back from service.
    08-19-13 01:04 PM
    I hope they do sell more but how many of those new Q10 owners move from a different platform?
    Compared to the Z10?

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 09:46 AM