With the Q1 end in a few days and results towards the end of June, I'm getting a bad feeling in looking at the recent moves/timing and pondering what they mean.

1) Stock Buy-Back Announced
    2) Unspecified Lay-Offs
    3) RBC Cuts Handset Sales Estimates by 50%

I'm a firm believer that with all the solution pieces now in place, we should see the beginnings of a upward trend across the board. The current evidence seems not to support that hypothesis. For example, stock-buybacks are usually a move the send a message to the market that the company has confidence and believes in it's future but, why now at the end of a quarter ? Is it to prop up a continued downward trend which Blackberry is seeing in the internal results or is just black-out period timing ?

Anyone else have any thoughts or metrics to share ?
    05-24-15 11:07 AM
    I say there are always more behind the scenes that we dont see. I am thinking Chen has a plan as always and there are positives to be seen as well. RBC cut handsets but also saw many good things on the software side. That is where Chen is taking the company so its good to see RBC liking what they see there. I dont like seeing the layoffs at all but if it keeps BB in business then its needed.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-24-15 11:22 AM
    Thanks Howarmat.

I do agree, Chen has a plan and so far he's kept every promise (albeit it's a very short list) he's made. However, I'm not sure even he can overcome the massive negativity that still persists regarding Blackberry. He knows, the only way to fight this negative marketing is to consistently deliver high quality products and services.....in other words, back to basic business fundamentals.

I think he can do this, it just the company needs a few breaks or some high level endorsements in the meantime.
    05-25-15 07:53 PM
    I think we're fine.

I think the layoffs were the result of an unannounced partnership for hardware. Probably Samsung for high end now, and Foxconn for low end. Nothing to worry about, but good for cost-cutting.

The stock buyback is good for many reasons:
    - instills confidence in the employees in hard times
    - (I believe) it shows that BlackBerry revenues from software/services alone just surpassed expenses, so they are confident in continued profitability.
    - puts a bottles on share price, attracts new investors.

Hardware sales might be down, maybe not as low as RBC predicts, but we're past (or getting close to) the reliance on them.

If we put it all together, I think we've seen hardware and revenues reach its bottom, profitability achieved and now Chen is going full force with growth. Samsung partnership to help grow hardware, reallocation of personelle to SALES and MARKETING (which is welcome to hear) and employee/investor retention.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:22 PM
    I think we're fine.

I think the layoffs were the result of an unannounced partnership for hardware. Probably Samsung for high end now, and Foxconn for low end. Nothing to worry about, but good for cost-cutting.

- (I believe) it shows that BlackBerry revenues from software/services alone just surpassed expenses, so they are confident in continued profitability.

Hardware sales might be down, maybe not as low as RBC predicts, but we're past (or getting close to) the reliance on them.

If we put it all together, I think we've seen hardware and revenues reach its bottom, profitability achieved and now Chen is going full force with growth. Samsung partnership to help grow hardware, reallocation of personelle to SALES and MARKETING (which is welcome to hear) and employee/investor retention.

Posted via CB10
    The post that Bla1ze put up actually made me bullish for BlackBerry. I have been watching what has been going on with the company as I have dumped my android devise for two BlackBerry devices. I think I am going to start making stock purchases as well. It will be a long term play. I like what Chen has to say and the direction he wants to take the company. IoT, IoV and health-care security are smart directions to take the company. In the press release BlackBerry said it was going to pick up customer facing marketing. Maybe this rumor of working together with Samsung is why they are going to pick up in the marketing. Maybe the Slider will be the first device the BlackBerry rolls out made from the rumored BlackBerry - Samsung deal?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:30 PM
    It's just I'm having (another) crisis of faith that is coming from; what happens if they build it and still nobody buys ?

All the pieces are all there, no more excuses.....the products should sell.

But what if they're just not good enough ? What next ?
    05-26-15 08:42 PM
    Product is fine...have a read of the T-MOBILE Classic review site.

Classically Posted.
    05-26-15 08:44 PM
    FUD is alive and well. Chen is the man and judging by the shorts dismay for chen actions as some of wall street insiders are not only opening up new positions but in some cases are doubling their holdings. Throw in short interest dropping leave me feeling good and adding to my BBRY holdings. Short interest numbers out tomorrow let's see if they have dropped again.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 08:47 PM
    Product is fine...have a read of the T-MOBILE Classic review site.

Classically Posted.
    If you're taking that one site as a sample to describe what everyone would want, you're delusional!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-28-15 08:39 AM
    If you're taking that one site as a sample to describe what everyone would want, you're delusional!

Posted via CB10
    Nobody said anything about what anybody "wants". The comment was that BlackBerry's products are just fine.

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-28-15 08:46 AM
    Nobody said anything about what anybody "wants". The comment was that BlackBerry's products are just fine.

Posted via CB10
    And there lies the problem, their devices are not just fine, otherwise people would be buying them left and right.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-28-15 10:59 AM
    And there lies the problem, their devices are not just fine, otherwise people would be buying them left and right.

Posted via CB10
    No...you see the BB10 devices and OS are fine, in fact supreme to what is out there.... (I'm not being biased when I say that)(again, imo)

Mass customers are delusional of the company in general, not even aware of their product line, except for people in the know.

The BB negative stigma from previous gen phones, etc. is the next (long) step and part of the turnaround. This needs repeated positive quarters to be reported and no looking back....and eventually will gain that respect again.

Are you one of the laid off employees by any chance?
    05-28-15 06:56 PM
    With the Q1 end in a few days and results towards the end of June, I'm getting a bad feeling in looking at the recent moves/timing and pondering what they mean.

1) Stock Buy-Back Announced
    2) Unspecified Lay-Offs
    3) RBC Cuts Handset Sales Estimates by 50%

I'm a firm believer that with all the solution pieces now in place, we should see the beginnings of a upward trend across the board. The current evidence seems not to support that hypothesis. For example, stock-buybacks are usually a move the send a message to the market that the company has confidence and believes in it's future but, why now at the end of a quarter ? Is it to prop up a continued downward trend which Blackberry is seeing in the internal results or is just black-out period timing ?

Anyone else have any thoughts or metrics to share ?

Hi Echo,

I posted this in another thread basically asking questions and sharing thoughts from the recent news. (not sure if you or others read it, but will just post again ).

This was just after the layoff note, before I seen the RBC note

"

1. Are there serious plans, shifts and moves to licensing hardware, contracting out those services?

2. Bit of a head scratcher, in that JC had announced not too long ago that layoffs were behind us... and now this blip.

3. Did not disclose headcount... was it significant and didn't want to worry the shareholders, or insignificant and nothing to worry about? (even though losing a job is significant, but you know what i mean).

4. They "quietly" released this on the Friday before Memorial day.... was it planned this way so there wasn't a negative knee jerk reaction by the market and basically buying another day for things to settle since the US market is closed today?

5. Should it be a concern that this was done because maybe margins are not looking too good and maybe next ER hardware numbers need to improve?

6. OR... will the market see this as positive that they are taking action to control costs, etc... because have seen on many occasions where there is a positive reaction and market likes the aggressive action.

7. The fact that old news is used to piggy back on this recent news is lame and seems like the media is trying to still keep the theme of "look, see, BB is still sinking".... which is total BS...

9. Share buy back coupled with this move was strategic?

10. Basically, should we be concerned or not?"
    BB10Funding likes this.
    05-28-15 07:07 PM
    Thanks Howarmat.

I do agree, Chen has a plan and so far he's kept every promise (albeit it's a very short list) he's made. However, I'm not sure even he can overcome the massive negativity that still persists regarding Blackberry. He knows, the only way to fight this negative marketing is to consistently deliver high quality products and services.....in other words, back to basic business fundamentals.

I think he can do this, it just the company needs a few breaks or some high level endorsements in the meantime.
    Yes, this negative BB stigma is a thorn in their side that will take time to minimize and hopefully eliminate altogether.

Their products are very good....they just need to sell more (software & hardware) while being super efficient and not exposing themself (like that writeoff) and report positive quarters....consistently. And not just being cash flow positive (as they met and achieved that milestone)...but to beat street expectations.
    05-28-15 07:12 PM
    I say there are always more behind the scenes that we dont see. I am thinking Chen has a plan as always and there are positives to be seen as well. RBC cut handsets but also saw many good things on the software side. That is where Chen is taking the company so its good to see RBC liking what they see there. I dont like seeing the layoffs at all but if it keeps BB in business then its needed.
    True, there is always something behind the scenes.

Been a few (good) suprises too!!

Which reminds me.... whatever happened to the Boeing collaboration..... and wonder what will happen with the QNX Hypervisor concept...

They have MANY good things in the pipeline, and although the majority of their new products are not direct type sellers like the typical hardware, their software offerings are plentiful and solid. These take time to adopt and implement.

I'm referring to all that amazing news released at CES2015.... and now that people see the true colours of the likes of Mobile Iron, it just makes BB that much better in this game.
    05-28-15 07:30 PM
    I just watched the KW Chamber of Commerce interview with JC and I must say, he's definitely man with plan. While I still worry if it will be successful, the interview clearly shows a strategy there's been carefully thought through.

I found it fascinating how he explained very calmly how he expects Blackberry to begin growing again and his concerns and honest disclosures of what Blackberry needs to focus on. Looking back, it is in stark contrast to the old days of Jim and Mike not telling anyone anything just because they were the only game in town.

If nothing else, win or loose, JC showed himself again to be the right person to lead this difficult and challenging enterprise.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-31-15 09:56 AM

Haha, one day...
    EchoTango and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-01-15 10:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed... people here look at sites with customer reviews, and they forget that 95% of the people buying and reviewing those devices are HARDCORE FANS.
    06-03-15 04:01 PM
    It's easy to get down on Blackberry, everyone else does.

I guess being an optimist means sometimes going against the crowd and looking at facts and not rhetoric. I have always thought Blackberry as a damaged child, you look at their situation with hope and judge their actions as meaningful and decisive. I do believe Blackberry has gotten a raw deal from industry shenanigans but also from their own poor management decisions.

I see today a thoughtful determined CEO that has pivoted the company to capitalize Blackberry's traditional strengths, but will it be enough ? This quarter is probably the one result that should show some evidence of the impact of the new direction.

Unfortunately with all the layoffs, stock repurchases and a flurry of marginal positive news is usually window dressing in advance of a poor quarter.
    06-03-15 07:08 PM
    I think we're fine.

Posted via CB10
    Well said and spot on. I think Chen's strategy is perfectly clear and it is at a key Flux point. The products are in places, with many best in class. Now is the time to push sales and increase cash flow. That's the life blood of any company and with it BlackBerry can start to market. Step by step.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 10:56 PM

I don't get it.... What are you waiting for him to deliver?

Please explain.

The way I see it, he has definitely delivered since he came on board in a Big Way......and there is no sign of slowing down either.
    06-10-15 12:25 AM
    Hopefully not pizza.......

06-10-15 09:41 AM
    So I listened to the AGM podcast and it was all very positive and "breezy". I'm not sure if they are putting on a brave face or truly believe that the recovery plan is on track.

Like most have already reported, the software number was encouraging but the device sales continued its downward trajectory. Notionally, Blackberry should be pulling down 15-20 million devices per quarter and not the 1.1 reported. I find this really disappointing, given the positive market reaction to the Passport and the Classic and the US carrier participation, I was hopeful to see some market buoyancy or even a surprise in the device sales. Sadly, this did not happen. Where are all the follow-on BES 12 device sales or from the special projects, like Nant Health ?

I'm wondering if we're seeing a device revenue recognition timing issue or are sales really that poor ?
    06-28-15 10:52 AM
    So I listened to the AGM podcast and it was all very positive and "breezy". I'm not sure if they are putting on a brave face or truly believe that the recovery plan is on track.

Like most have already reported, the software number was encouraging but the device sales continued its downward trajectory. Notionally, Blackberry should be pulling down 15-20 million devices per quarter and not the 1.1 reported. I find this really disappointing, given the positive market reaction to the Passport and the Classic and the US carrier participation, I was hopeful to see some market buoyancy or even a surprise in the device sales. Sadly, this did not happen. Where are all the follow-on BES 12 device sales or from the special projects, like Nant Health ?

I'm wondering if we're seeing a device revenue recognition timing issue or are sales really that poor ?
    Positive Market Reaction? A few half-hearted reviews?
    US Carrier participation? 1 got the Passport (I guess it's 2 now), 2 got the Classic (I guess it's 3 now)... and has anyone gotten the LEAP yet?

It's not device revenue recognition.... some say it's that Enterprise is slow to react to new products. But let's face it, BB10 has been out for over 2 years now.

BES12 is still suffering from the millions of BBOS users that are slowly being phased out, along with those what we once considered minor BIS License fees.

As of NantHealth... they are still working to incorporate BlackBerry security into the newer version of their HBox - so no sell-able device, no revenues. Much like all their other IoT.... they have plans of providing others building blocks, but no one has built a finished product that would allow BlackBerry to generate the kinds of revenue that they need.
    Shlooky likes this.
    06-29-15 08:08 AM
    "BES12 is still suffering from the millions of BBOS users that are slowly being phased out, along with those what we once considered minor BIS License fees."

But isn't BES12 backwards compatible to BBOS ? Wouldn't it just be another device type like Android or IOS ?

Perhaps I'm missing something but I can't see how device sales keep falling as the smartphone market keeps growing plus all the Blackberry corporate moves made in the past year.

Has it all had a cumulative negative effect on people buying Blackberry ?
    07-04-15 08:36 AM
29 12