I think it's no secret that Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has had his share of frustrations with the direction Apple has been taking the last few years, and after the passing of his friend and co-founder Steve Jobs, it seems apparent that he might have hoped for a little wider role at Apple too.

But Apple has seemingly shown little interest in any sort of official role for The Woz, and it seems that as of his latest critical comments about Apple's corporate tax avoidance, it seems as though he may have crossed a point of no-return of sorts.

And regardless what you may think about RIM/Blackberry's ability to execute its plans and be competitive, one thing that we don't hear about are financial scandals or some of the insidious sorts of corporate fraud and deception that so many other companies seem to always get caught at. (And no, I don't think that promising something that turns out to be a day late and a dollar short descends anywhere into that sort of territory)

Which got me thinking. What if RIM/Blackberry were to invite The Woz to join the board?

I think he represents some things that Blackberry has always stood for - technology innovation and helping people be productive in their lives - while representing other things that Blackberry hasn't been so good at embodying, like good 'ol warm 'n fuzzy human factors, having fun with tech and as a champion of "power to the people" - which Blackberry hasn't been nearly as good at capturing. (Though I'm pretty sure Heins & Co. wish they could gain more mindshare in that regard)

And I think he's still thought of fondly by the old school and even new school Apple types, while Apple seems increasingly like the kind of giant, faceless, rudderless corporation that Apple users once thought they were rebelling-against back in the days of "Think Different". Apple has become IBM. Apple has become Microsoft.

I could think of worse things the company could do.
    05-31-13 04:41 AM
    Weren't Balsille and Lazaridis fined about $75m a few years ago for a share option scam that they got caught using? Not to take away from your opinion of Wozniak. I think he's a genius, but I'm not sure he's able to keep his mouth shut when it's needed a lot of the time.

Would a $100-million fine be too much? - Business - Macleans.ca. Thought so, RIM fined $77m and coCEOs ordered to repay $6.7m each in ill gotten gains.
    05-31-13 05:13 AM
    Weren't Balsille and Lazaridis fined about $75m a few years ago for a share option scam that they got caught using? Not to take away from your opinion of Wozniak. I think he's a genius, but I'm not sure he's able to keep his mouth shut when it's needed a lot of the time.

Would a $100-million fine be too much? - Business - Macleans.ca. Thought so, RIM fined $77m and coCEOs ordered to repay $6.7m each in ill gotten gains.

I vaguely recall that, but I think it's safe to say that that was an event firmly associated with the "old" RIM (circa 2006), and neither of those people have any role at the company any more.
    (And if I'm not mistaken, that sort of thing was widespread at US tech companies around that time too, and most of them got off with a handslap.)

Personally I think Wozniak's famously loose lips are an asset if you're trying to present your company as a straight-talking organization. Most of the stuff that Wozniak is glib about is not future product plans or sales projections, and that's the only thing that really needs to be "locked down" at Blackberry these days.

It would certainly motivate the company to get on top of the product quality, because Woz would not pull any punches if he thought their stuff was buggy crap.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-31-13 06:35 AM
    Given the recent flap about the NSA internet surveillance overreaching and the "PRISM" program, and given the following recent impromptu interview with The Woz when someone caught him waiting for a flight at SFO, I think it's an EVEN BETTER reason to bring him to the BBRY board:

Woz: This is not my America | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

I really do strongly believe that the time is right for Blackberry to buck the dominant paradigm and re-make itself as a strong advocate for user privacy. This could be a bold PR move, it would be a great cause, and it could significantly refurbish their image as a champion of the grassroot user, not to mention put them in a position of being an industry trailblazer rather than the "has-been" image that so many people keep trying to paint them with.

Do it Do it Do it. Get Woz before he moves to Australia. At least have him detour to Canada for a couple of years.
    06-18-13 05:56 AM
    Given the recent flap about the NSA internet surveillance overreaching and the "PRISM" program, and given the following recent impromptu interview with The Woz when someone caught him waiting for a flight at SFO, I think it's an EVEN BETTER reason to bring him to the BBRY board:

Woz: This is not my America | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

I really do strongly believe that the time is right for Blackberry to buck the dominant paradigm and re-make itself as a strong advocate for user privacy. This could be a bold PR move, it would be a great cause, and it could significantly refurbish their image as a champion of the grassroot user, not to mention put them in a position of being an industry trailblazer rather than the "has-been" image that so many people keep trying to paint them with.

Do it Do it Do it. Get Woz before he moves to Australia. At least have him detour to Canada for a couple of years.
    It is very plain that Blackberry must do something.

Everyone looking SO forward to BBRY's earning report!

Be careful what you wish for! Anticipation is so high that less than stellar perfomance will sink BBRY even farther!
    BlackistheBerry, laserx and m1a1mg like this.
    06-18-13 06:09 AM
    I think it's a great idea, but you're forgetting one key component of this plan: Woz. Would he want to do it? If so, it would be a wonderful move. Aside from the PR coup, his input would be valuable.
    00stryder likes this.
    06-18-13 09:27 PM
    I think it's a great idea, but you're forgetting one key component of this plan: Woz. Would he want to do it? If so, it would be a wonderful move. Aside from the PR coup, his input would be valuable.

Well it already sounds like he's not only disenchanted with Apple, he's disenchanted with the whole country.

Woz needs to be part of something he really believes in, bless his heart. But the modern big-business world, USA-style, isn't cutting it, clearly.

BlackBerry, in my view, is just about the only major mobile platform vendor that has the ability to set themselves out in contrast to the dominant industry paradigm in respect to privacy issues and tax shenanigans - all the major US platform vendors and Samsung are severely compromised and lacking respect in those areas.

But BBRY will undoubtedly have a bunch of nervous-nelly naysayers on the board etc who would be fearful of alienating partners like Google over it.

I think they should take the bold step anyway. They really need something like that to set them apart.

In the old days under Jobs it was often Apple that made bold initiatives like that. The time is ripe to make that kind of splash while Apple is run by people with no direction and creativity, and Google has become the modern-day Big Brother wannabe. (Next to the NSA, of course)
    06-19-13 02:26 AM
    Well, it'd certainly ruffle a few feathers if be did join the board, and who knows, we might even get another Steve Jobs "Mac Daddy" parody video out of it.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    06-19-13 03:42 AM
    Be careful what you wish for! Anticipation is so high that less than stellar perfomance will sink BBRY even farther!
    I think this is one of the best posts I've read here in a while. BBRY is totally crazy right now. Logic seems out the window, from both sides. No one wants to wait until the 28th.

I personally think the next quarter is the most important. When there isn't a new phone released.
    06-19-13 07:54 PM
    Interesting idea, IMHO. Might affect design of future design, might not. Not sure of BBRY culture of accepting new people with very different approach.
    06-26-13 02:09 AM
    Steve Wozniak was a talented engineer with no taste.

But then again, he might be a perfect fit for BlackBerry. He was so fond of the keyboard, that when he originally designed the famous Apple II, he didn't even think about putting a case around it until Jobs made him do it.
    06-27-13 01:15 PM