But yet got BlackBerry to alter the design.
    BlackBerry was probably desperate to get any carrier support in the US. So what ATT wanted ATT got.
    03-22-15 12:57 PM
    & who paid the retooling & design / engineering costs for ATT to put up the passport & classic only to hide them behind the counter ??
    BlackBerry was probably desperate to get any carrier support in the US. So what ATT wanted ATT got.
    03-22-15 01:18 PM
    & who paid the retooling & design / engineering costs for ATT to put up the passport & classic only to hide them behind the counter ??
    Those are great questions. I imagine BlackBerry did. Can't see ATT paying. They could never sell another BB device and I imagine they wouldn't care. This would not make me very happy if I were Chen. But what can he do? The brand is so diminished in the USA and he has no leverage because of it. It is either that, or the alternative which is no US presence.
    03-22-15 02:57 PM
    He should have limited ATT to the Passport their design... drop the price to low earth orbit & sell it on subsidiaries & walmart & everywhere... lots of exposure is the only hope for BlackBerry...if they drop hardware & think samsung & apple will buy theirs, they are dreaming... those major players will do security themselves & crush BlackBerry into pulp...
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-22-15 03:08 PM
    He should have limited ATT to the Passport their design... drop the price to low earth orbit & sell it on subsidiaries & walmart & everywhere... lots of exposure is the only hope for BlackBerry.
    Doubt Walmart will make the same mistake of offering high end BlackBerry 10 devices again.
    03-22-15 03:15 PM
    The overprice is a problem...people hate to buy it & SEE it on sale $100 off a week later... happened to me & I harassed BlackBerry until they gave me the difference back...
    Doubt Walmart will make the same mistake of offering high end BlackBerry 10 devices again.
    03-22-15 03:20 PM
    People show up here for all different reasons. Everyone complains once for a while unless you are in the second club.
    Absolutely!

The fact is, BlackBerry made lots of bad decisions and they are probably going to keep making them.
    Sure. There's also the very simple matter of our limited vision. There's a lot of armchair CEOing here from people who have a very limited view of BlackBerry world compared to John Chen. These are the folks who assume that the problems are very simple, so are the solutions and therefore, BlackBerry management is idiotic. That's cool and all, except for one thing: They see maybe 1/100th of the data points that John Chen does.

So it's kind of a narrow minded ignorance displayed. I'm guilty of it too. Reality is - I don't know what will fix BlackBerry. I do know that, right now, they don't have a device for me. I do know that John Chen's primary job is not to keep me happy, but to keep the company alive. Whether or not he can do it remains to be seen. Whether or not they will ever make a device like I'd like again remains to be seen. But, I cling to hope that if he can slowly right the pieces of the ship, there are more chances that he'd make a device I'd like then if he can't right the ship and it folds.

Armchair Know-It-All syndrome is common on forums. But CrackBerry seems to have an extra healthy crop ...

]And even if they make perfect decisions all the time, they can't keep everyone happy.
    Probably the wisest words I've seen all week. Love it or hate it, BlackBerry is changing.
    03-23-15 09:10 AM
    For US consumers Blackberry is dead. ATT Passport exclusive: dead. No Leap for Verizon: dead. Slider when it comes will be one carrier probably ATT: dead. BB the IoT and Enterprise services company will be fine.
    How does BlackBerry force carriers to sell their phones, exactly?
    03-24-15 08:52 PM
    It's about not attracting the feds looking for lack of competitiveness or monopoly... US has laws against that...
    03-24-15 09:06 PM
    You can't force them of course.

But you CAN put some of your own skin in the game... advertise... train... and encourage sale of your own product.

BlackBerry has bullheadedly done NONE of that.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 11:20 PM
    If BlackBerry gets out of the HW business these folks will have so much extra time on their hands. LOL!
    These BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd have an agenda to make sure the HW business either goes out or is reduced to a minimum. What most people don't know is NSA doesn't want the masses using BlackBerry. It's the same reason why the elite all use BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 11:32 PM
    These BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd have an agenda to make sure the HW business either goes out or is reduced to a minimum. What most people don't know is NSA doesn't want the masses using BlackBerry. It's the same reason why the elite all use BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    You couldn't be more wrong.

Most of us are frustrated with BlackBerry for making the same stupid mistakes over and over and over and over again.

We do NOT want to see BlackBerry out of the hardware business... and it's simply painful for us to watch.

We keep coming here in the hopes that BlackBerry will eventually figure it out... sadly... it ain't happening yet...

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 11:44 PM
    These BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd have an agenda to make sure the HW business either goes out or is reduced to a minimum.
    You really believe members here have any influence on that?
    What most people don't know is NSA doesn't want the masses using BlackBerry.
    Where is your proof?
    It's the same reason why the elite all use BlackBerry.
    Such as??
    eyesopen1111 and JeepBB like this.
    03-24-15 11:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is this the lizard elite, that run the world behind the scenes, or some other elite that use BB?

Clearly the NSA don't want us to know that either.

As to Chen listening to me (or anyone on CB), and my being a factor in his decision-making.... LOL
    Eumaeus likes this.
    03-25-15 04:02 AM
    Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 2014 (Thousands of Units)
    Operating System BlackBerry 7,911

Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014
    Scroll to Table 3

The writer failed to multiply the number by 1,000 (Thousands of Units) so 7.91 million BB phones sold worldwide in 2014 if I understand the table correctly.

Apple sold 74.8 million units in the 4th quarter of 2014 alone.
    Q4 Results Released 03/27/2015

Revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 was approximately $660 million, including a negative $12 million impact from currency fluctuation. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 42% for hardware, 47% for services and 10% for software. During the fourth quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 1.3 million BlackBerry smartphones. Approximately 1.6 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, with an ASP of $211 compared to $180 in the previous quarter.
    03-27-15 10:49 AM
    During the fourth quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 1.3 million BlackBerry smartphones.
    That doesn't address the point of this thread, which speculates 8000 Passports and Classics were shipped to US carriers in a two week period.
    03-27-15 11:32 AM
    Carriers will only go as far as manufacturers will encourage them with co-promotion budgets, field reps etc. BB is like Sony in that respect they have token models at one or two carriers but no one knows about them. Of course Sony thought long and hard about shuttering their mobile arm even though they sold 12 million phones last quarter and made 80M off that division.

Both of them feel that putting a whole lot of resources into advertising and associated costs in the US market would being diminishing returns and I certainly understand that but from that decision here we stand.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-27-15 12:15 PM
    That doesn't address the point of this thread, which speculates 8000 Passports and Classics were shipped to US carriers in a two week period.
    The original story was for a quarter of phone sales, not shipped phones - "Through the current quarter, BlackBerry has moved only 8,000 units of the business-focused Passport and the throwback Classic. While the target mark for sales isn’t disclosed, what is made clear is that 8,000 falls painfully short. The note from Morgan Stanley states the sales figures are “not tracking anywhere close” to the expected sales numbers."

The most current published quarterly sales data for all phones sold at the time the article was published was Q4 2014 which is what I posted about originally. Everyone was questioning the 8,000 phones sold number and the writer of the original article did not provide the source of the 8,000 units sold.
    03-27-15 12:20 PM
    Today's numbers support the position that Passport and Classic are not selling well. Can anyone do an analysis of average sales price and likely product mix to figure out the ballpark estimate of units sold on a per model basis? Anyone? Bueller?
    03-27-15 05:21 PM
    Today's numbers support the position that Passport and Classic are not selling well. Can anyone do an analysis of average sales price and likely product mix to figure out the ballpark estimate of units sold on a per model basis? Anyone? Bueller?
    1.3million devices - not selling good?
    Asp is not the price end user pays!

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    03-28-15 06:27 AM
    1.3million devices - not selling good?
    Asp is not the price end user pays!

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    1.3 million is not nearly enough to meet the 2015 unit sales goal set by Chen of 10 million units. If Chen cannot stop the decline of hardware sales, it�s difficult to see how things can end well for BB10.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    03-28-15 07:19 AM
    1.3 million is not nearly enough to meet the 2015 unit sales goal set by Chen of 10 million units. If Chen cannot stop the decline of hardware sales, it�s difficult to see how things can end well for BB10.
    Ffs. Forget that "10m". That was a year ago.
    Now even 1.3 is profitable.

Bbry does not need to sell 10M to be profitable. Period.

D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-28-15 12:25 PM
    Ffs. Forget that "10m". That was a year ago.
    Now even 1.3 is profitable.
    Actually, that profitability doesn't take into account sunk costs. First, Blackberry is still benefiting from a write down of Snapdragon S4 processors. This is basically a free or reduced cost component for the Classic and Leap.

Second, BB10 is growing older and technology continues advancing with focuses on mobile payment, wearables, etc. Soon, BBRY will have to pay another round of billion dollar OS development costs to maintain competitiveness. A solution to this may be to go Android, however.
    sati01, Maxxxpower, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    03-28-15 12:36 PM
    At the very end of the day it's not the devices that sell themselves anymore.

BlackBerry needs to get back to the core of marketing. Initially they did great with the Passport. Now instead of advertising it's uniqueness they need to advertise it's functionality in real life and multiple situations core functionality and also powerful applications - especially feature the app split application for dual multitasking: copy paste between two apps side by side running and from and to minimized apps. Show th entire process isolated and clearly!!!

Apart featuring th entice apps that solve social app worries like instagram BB10 app, etc! In a party setting with not just trendy teens but sexy professionals as well showing the wealth they've earned or have.

Where is the business user using Reuters Eikon or Bloomberg Professional making dollars!! Where?

Show us bedside mode. Ask the BlackBerry community at large how THEY can help advertise and implement the very best ideas.

Seeing you tube videos of BlackBerry Donny talk about the blacked out guys on the Leap and how HE truly lives it, sorry Donny a guy with the same name nothing against you - is very lame!

Common BlackBerry appeal to your target market, within the target market market segments! Goddammit. Already!!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 12:43 PM
    The hardware business is not losing money anymore, that's a good sign. The service business is declining at a rate of 15% per year, which is supposed to be substituted by the gain from software business, which is growing but not as fast as expected. Apparently Chen will stick to his plan of continuing to grow software business, and keeps BlackBerry 's footprint in hardware business small. It's probably too early for Chen to decide the strategy is working or not so too early for him to make any adjustments.

If the hardware business bounces back stronger than expected, Chen may invest more in hardware business to capitalize the great design concepts brought by Passport and Classic. I personally hope that's the direction they will go because I am still waiting for Z50 to materialize.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-28-15 02:26 PM
191 ... 5678