Agree - consistently profitable. But that wasn't my point. :-) Just find it strange that people can be so "binary" in their thinking on CrackBerry.

"if Chen grows software, he can't make any hardware whatsoever"

"if Chen focuses on enterprise, he can't sell to consumers at all any time, anywhere"

"If Chen focused on keyboards, he can't make a single touchscreen".

People seem to think focus means "100% on x, and 0% on Y" sometimes. And if it's not that ratio, he apparently "is switching strategies" or "can't make up his mind".

It's silly to me :-)
    03-20-15 10:22 AM
    Agree - consistently profitable. But that wasn't my point. :-) Just find it strange that people can be so "binary" in their thinking on CrackBerry.

"if Chen grows software, he can't make hardware"

"if Chen focuses on enterprise, he can't sell to consumers at all"

"If Chen focused on keyboards, he can't make a touchscreen".

People seem to think focus means "100% on x, and 0% on Y" sometimes
    But knowing BlackBerry's performance history, they can't have too many irons in the fire. Right now they're focusing on too much for the size of the company. It's reflected in their quality control.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-15 10:29 AM
    But knowing BlackBerry's performance history, they can't have too many irons in the fire. Right now they're focusing on too much for the size of the company. It's reflected in their quality control.
    I thought we have a new management

#BBFactCheck
    matt0135 and Andy_bb_king like this.
    03-20-15 10:41 AM
    Oh, I agree. They need to focus their resources carefully and maybe consider even more what they do. But I don't think it's as dire as only being able to do one specific thing.
    03-20-15 11:00 AM
    Yup, they do. And they still bite off more than they can chew.
    03-20-15 11:00 AM
    Rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs?

#BBFactCheck
    03-20-15 11:06 AM
    Rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs?
    What titanic? Are we talking about the same thing

#BBFactCheck
    03-20-15 11:18 AM
    On the plus side, the Passport is NOT. Too big & fits in the front pocket or coat pocket of all my pants (no, not a big size, 42).

The capacitive keyboard is a very innovative feature that is under exploited.

The notification scheme is haphazard but very functional albeit needing more sense.

The hub/blend is very good.

Since I do not know a single other user of a BlackBerry, I have no idea to what use BBM is for me.

So far all the 60 android apps I have installed work fine; but the failure to run from the miicroSD cripples the on-board RAM...

The battery life is very good.

The speakerphone is very good.

The phone is good for making calls. Amazing... many so called smartphones forgot that...

The non-destructive OTA updates (only got it once) doesn't destroy, if it ever comes.

The assistant takes dictation very well.

There's more on the plus list, but really these things are EXPECTED in a $500 gizmo.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-20-15 11:19 AM
    Sorry - don't agree. Companies can - and do - focus on multiple initiatives. Even ones a lot smaller than BlackBerry make hardware and software.

If he can get the hardware business profitable, why not keep it going?

No need for such a binary approach of "all or nothing".
    I don't mean choosing between HW or SW. If Chen truly wants to be in the HW business then he needs to get serious about it. Because right now I don't think he is. He is treating it more like an afterthought. Releasing phones with three year old processors that don't run Android apps very well is not my idea of someone that cares about HW. He needs to start producing HW that is price and spec competitive, AND more importantly that can run the SW he is asking his customers to use (specifically Android apps). Before someone chimes in and says he can't compete on a price to spec ratio, then why was he able to do it with Passport? That is really the only price and spec competitive phone BB has ever released.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-20-15 12:13 PM
    Quote from CEO John Chen last quarter "Ending the EZ Pass Program after the quarter with a total of 6.8 million licenses issued for BES 10, a 100% increase from last quarter, with over 30% of total licenses traded in from competitors� Mobile Device Management platforms." Last quarter they recognized "During the third quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 2 million BlackBerry smartphones." How can they sold 8000 devices? It absurd!
    03-20-15 12:19 PM
    I actually don't think they are focusing on too much. HW is barren. They are recycling old parts I'm sure for numerous cost savings reasons. They aren't focusing on consumers right now. BBM is moving at a snails pace. It seems the only thing they are focusing on is Enterprise. The only thing outside of that was the 10.3.1 deployment. And they botched it, not because of too many irons, but because that is just how they operate (sadly).
    03-20-15 12:20 PM
    I don't mean choosing between HW or SW. If Chen truly wants to be in the HW business then he needs to get serious about it. Because right now I don't think he is. He is treating it more like an afterthought. Releasing phones with three year old processors that don't run Android apps very well is not my idea of someone that cares about HW. He needs to start producing HW that is price and spec competitive, AND more importantly that can run the SW he is asking his customers to use (specifically Android apps). Before someone chimes in and says he can't compete on a price to spec ratio, then why was he able to do it with Passport? That is really the only price and spec competitive phone BB has ever released.
    The only BB10 device where price met specs

I'm also curious about that five year deal with Foxconn. It was conceived under Thorsten Heins and Chen gave birth to it. What exactly has it produced, or will it produce? Is it still in effect? Was it all for show?
    03-20-15 12:22 PM

I'm also curious about that five year deal with Foxconn. It was conceived under Thorsten Heins and Chen gave birth to it. What exactly has it produced, or will it produce? Is it still in effect? Was it all for show?
    True.

In another thread here posters were comparing where their Passports were made and a lot were from Mexico. People started guessing that maybe they were also being produced by Foxconn in their Mexican facility. But this is all speculation. Who really knows what Foxconn's current role is in HW.
    03-20-15 12:28 PM

All of the cheaper devices have been Foxconn manufactured (i.e. Z3, Leap, possibly the Q5 maybe?), meaning they make a little less percentage of the profit for each device sold, but they remove the potential loss from unsold devices, if my memory serves correctly.

I haven't looked into any of this stuff in a long while since that partnership had been announced

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    03-20-15 03:11 PM
    All of the cheaper devices have been Foxconn manufactured (i.e. Z3, Leap, possibly the Q5 maybe?), meaning they make a little less percentage of the profit for each device sold, but they remove the potential loss from unsold devices, if my memory serves correctly.

I haven't looked into any of this stuff in a long while since that partnership had been announced

Strangly... the Leap isn't being made by Foxconn as you would think it would be a simple process to go from the Z3 to the Leap. Don't think Chen has said much about their Foxconn partnership lately.
    03-20-15 03:21 PM
    Not on the high street.
    03-20-15 03:31 PM
    Lol...little dramatic don't you think?

Classically Posted.
    03-20-15 06:41 PM

Classically Posted.
    On CrackBerry? Melodrama!????!!!

That cannot be ...

03-20-15 07:33 PM
    What is really the question problem here?

#BBFactCheck
    03-20-15 07:46 PM
    If you read a little more closely, the young man is frustrated he invested his money into a platform which doesn't meet his expectations.
    03-20-15 08:19 PM
    Drop classic to $249.99, and we will all buy them. It will then sell well, very well!
    I just can't take a chance and leave my perfectly running Z30 and spend $450+tax. No way, nobody will unless they really hate their all touch keyboard.

This is the problem with Classic.
    People who have Q10 don't see the benefit of spending so much for something with same (almost same) hardware.
    People who have other blackberry are just fine with the one they have since it's most likely Z10 or Z30.
    People who don't have a Blackberry cannot just spend that kind of money while they can get something more hip and fun and trendy like Galaxy S5 or iPhone or something so they stay with the platform they are in.

This is why PP and Classic is not selling well, and it's really easy to see.
    I wish they had a poll with every purchase, they could see their market share and do a much better marketing at BB (there is almost no marketing other than Chen showing up on news channels and make random statements instead of showing how great BB10 is)
    Yup. I love the look and the feel of the Classic but I really have no motivation to ditch my Nexus 5 and return to Blackberry. The specs are old and there are plenty of reports out there that the phone quickly tends to slow down. Add to that the ridiculous $499 price tag and flying rumors that BB might be switching to Android and I just can't take the plunge. At least not until the murky waters have become clear.

On the other hand I played with the Passport the other day and the size along with the 3 row keys are just a pain to type on. I guess I'm staying on the sidelines for now but I really hope that something comes out soon that all of us can enjoy.
    03-20-15 08:20 PM
    Yup. I love the look and the feel of the Classic but I really have no motivation to ditch my Nexus 5 and return to Blackberry. The specs are old and there are plenty of reports out there that the phone quickly tends to slow down. Add to that the ridiculous $499 price tag and flying rumors that BB might be switching to Android and I just can't take the plunge. At least not until the murky waters have become clear.

On the other hand I played with the Passport the other day and the size along with the 3 row keys are just a pain to type on. I guess I'm staying on the sidelines for now but I really hope that something comes out soon that all of us can enjoy.
    That flying rumour about them switching to Android is nothing more than that exactly, a flying rumour. It's been discussed to death here at CB and some members have directly confirmed with BlackBerry that they have zero intention currently to drop their QNX platform, let alone adopt Android.

03-20-15 09:02 PM
    Am i the only one here who thinks android is better than BlackBerry because they have more apps and games than blackberry? If the blackberry world could give my Z3 a lot of good apps and free, i will always love blackberry. Remembering Z3 doesn't have many apps and almost all good looking apps in blackberry world is not free. Starting to think to switch phone to android.... *sob *sob

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 12:11 AM
    Am i the only one here who thinks android is better than BlackBerry because they have more apps and games than blackberry? If the blackberry world could give my Z3 a lot of good apps and free, i will always love blackberry. Remembering Z3 doesn't have many apps and almost all good looking apps in blackberry world is not free. Starting to think to switch phone to android.... *sob *sob

Posted via CB10
    Apple is better

#BBFactCheck
    phuoc likes this.
    03-21-15 12:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    As an OS, BlackBerry is far better than anything else out there, it's no comparison.
    The problem is people considering the number of apps as being a better system.
    Android is nothing without the apps, it's one big mess, it doesn't even have a proper contact management or email app, it relies heavily on Google services.

So if android apps could run better and more natively on top of BlackBerry 10, then it would be great. Just think about sliding from left to right in any android phone and seeing your BlackBerry Hub, I'd pay monthly fee for that just like BES or BIS.

Also, there is of course much better hardware options with android. Who wouldn't like a galaxy note 4 with BB 10 option?

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    Nicholas Audy and leejayh like this.
    03-21-15 12:58 AM
191 ... 34567 ...