Well I know these Wall Street analysis, they have their own agenda to maximize profit and minimize loss for their clients. Most of them are crook anyway. John Chen said the first initial of the Passport sold out(200,000). He has said many times during the interview in the last couple of months when ask how Classic and Passport are doing regarding the sales and he said it is doing pretty good. If doing pretty good mean 8000 devices sold, Chen must quit ECO and hand to someone else. Will find out for sure next week on Friday morning. If it turns out exactly these Wall Street crooks are saying, Chen loss all of his credibility and I don't think he can saves BlackBerry anymore.
    Sales numbers are clearly above 8000 and this purposely misleading analysis was done to at a time when Blackberry is unable to defend itself due to lockup. Given blackberry's current model of going around most carrier stores means that neither GS or MS have any idea how sales are doing. Simply showing up at a few AT&T stores in mid February when product started to arrive isn't much of an analysis. Why not go to the Amazon site or shopblackberry, plug in a ridiculous number of purchase and follow how many phones are in stock. It's not exactly rocket science. Notice how mainstreet media has stayed away from this stinker of a story. It's not by accident.
    playpen007 likes this.
    03-18-15 03:54 PM
    Although I myself took advantage of them, I have wondered about the coupon discounts. $100 is a lot of amount. And now the limited Red Passport is for $600 and almost instantly there are codes available to decrease the price further by $100.
    Is this not desperation by BlackBerry (all of which, I must add, undervalues their beautiful beautiful machines).

Posted via CB10
    A short term coupon for a 100 dollars in a small number of local markets isn't a sign of desperation. It's called marketing. As to the red passport, I would expect the price to drop to that of others after a month or two.
    03-18-15 04:01 PM
    Morgan Stanley was just served up a wonderfully tasty lawsuit by the NY Attorney General for their actions in the subprime mortgage crisis. Perhaps they should stop making up bulls**t stories and analyses and focus on defending themselves against what AG Schneiderman is going to throw at them.
    03-18-15 04:49 PM
    BlackBerry's market share is 0.4% globally. GLOBALLY!! Makes a number like 8,000 total units sold a little easier to believe. Everyone here on this site is a fanboy. Me included. You can't judge world demand by what is said here on Crackberry.
    0.4% is still 4 million+ devices.

I am not a fanboy.
    03-18-15 05:08 PM
    ...snip...analysis was done to at a time when Blackberry is unable to defend itself due to lockup....snip.... It's not by accident.
    Unfortunately, there are still plenty of people to swallow this hook, line and stinker.
    03-18-15 05:10 PM
    My local Verizon store JUST put out a Classic demo. The AT&T store (in the same mall) still doesn't have a PP demo out! BlackBerry fans are on our own... no demo's, no advertising, no love for BlackBerry in the US.

Loving my Classic though!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.1.1448
    Flatman likes this.
    03-18-15 05:21 PM
    No one really knows about these devices. The Storms and Torch were heavily advertised. PP and Classic are much better and yet no promotion at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:28 PM
    We are the cash cows BlackBerry (apple)milks on. Selling under spec'ed(iphone) phones to die hard fan base gives them the highest margin.

Passport is the first one that is on par with competition in terms of horse power and specs. But after Passport, Classic and Leap quickly fell back the milking strategy again. (sorry can't mention high specs or power and apple in the same sentence)

Sorry BlackBerry, not interested.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:29 PM
    Although I myself took advantage of them, I have wondered about the coupon discounts. $100 is a lot of amount. And now the limited Red Passport is for $600 and almost instantly there are codes available to decrease the price further by $100.
    Is this not desperation by BlackBerry (all of which, I must add, undervalues their beautiful beautiful machines).

Posted via CB10
    Anyone have any of these coupons available?
    03-18-15 05:37 PM
    We are the cash cows BlackBerry milks on. Selling under spec'ed phones to die hard fan base gives them the highest margin.

Passport is the first one that is on par with competition in terms of horse power and specs. But after Passport, Classic and Leap quickly fell back the milking strategy again.

You seem to completely negate BlackBerry security and the architecture that makes things like BlackBerry Balance possible. The specs are not that far behind. When the Z10 came out most phones only had 512MB - 1GB of RAM, Z10 has 2GB and a very good display which was on par or exceeded iPhone 5's screen at the time. The reason RAM hasn't really ticked up much is because it's not really all that necessary.

You are creating a straw-man argument. Today you can by a brand new Z10 for far cheaper than any Android phone with 2GB.

The Classic was designed to be cost effective and communication effective, if you want something impressive you get the Passport. If a corporation is going to supply devices for their employees they would be hard pressed to beat the value of the BB Classic.

I have used the Classic and given the screen size the specs are quite robust. Not as much work to do on a 720 x 720 screen. I was actually impressed with how good the screen did look, I was expecting it to look terrible.
    D3C0D3R and DarthRebecca like this.
    03-18-15 05:43 PM
    They would be doing a LOT better if all AT&T stores actually had the devices displayed and in stock. Plus the one AT&T store I finally found it in had the worst customer service...I walked out before buying. They have more greeters signing you in than they have salespeople to sell you anything. So, you stand there and wait while the greeters play on their tablets and wait to sign more people in...to wait. It's quite a ******** business model in my opinion. I even told the "greeter" I am here to buy the Passport and become a new AT&T customer.
    I walked into the AT&T store in Manhattan across from Penn Station and was greeted immediately asking if they could help me. I told them I just wanted to look at the new Passport and they walked me over to the working floor model (in the back corner of course). The salesman actually seemed knowledgeable and told me people generally like it. Not sure I'd really switch from Verizon for the Passport, but I had a good experience with the AT&T store I walked in.
    03-18-15 05:51 PM
    I'm considering (quite strongly) moving from my iPhone 6 to the BlackBerry Classic. I'd love the Passport but Verizon doesn't have it.
    so move )) less deluded people here - better
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-18-15 06:19 PM
    Just throwing this out there, but seriously, no one remembers that BlackBerry released the semi-sales results from the Passport after the first 24 hours? And it was way higher than 8000.

There is zero fact behind any of these jabs from the investment firm and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry retaliates soon.

Waiting on the #BlackBerryFactCheck article about this.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    03-18-15 06:32 PM
    MS is referring to the sales of AT@T Passport and classic.Keep in mind that they have only been on sale for 20 days, and most of AT@T stores didn't have stock. Also keep in mind that the article is misleading because they make it sound like the total sales of Passports and Classic was 8000 which is totally false. They also released this news during the quiet period before that ER, which was totally sleazy, because John Chen cannot reply or refute that story. After the ER is over expect BlackBerry to sue MS for that sleazy BS article. One last note there is no way MS has access to sales info. carriers are prohibited from disclosing this info. So this is just a lame guess as too the sales, or maybe just a misleading article to make BlackBerry stock take a hit.
    dolco, undone and Irish Blues like this.
    03-18-15 06:36 PM
    Well I'm back on BlackBerry with a Passport after the abortion that is Android. So good to be back.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:42 PM
    We are the cash cows BlackBerry milks on. Selling under spec'ed phones to die hard fan base gives them the highest margin.

Passport is the first one that is on par with competition in terms of horse power and specs. But after Passport, Classic and Leap quickly fell back the milking strategy again.

You do realize that specs really don't mean that much on a phone, right?

If you only know about Android and iOS, then you probably only care about specs because that's all that differentiates the models and which phone you get. The better the specs, the better the "experience."

With BlackBerry10, running on the QNX microkernel (NOT the normal Android microkernel), it is efficient from the very first bit (I mean bit as in 8 bits in a byte). Take a look at the recent CrackBerry post where they explained how the BlackBerry10 OS and QNX system will allow them to mature BlackBerry for tens of years to come because of how efficient it is.

This isn't how Android or iOS work, so they will forcibly be retired in years to come for either an overhaul and new version, or die off (not saying they will, just that something will have to happen to make it more efficient).

Back to your post, specs for on a BlackBerry10 phone don't mean as much because the BlackBerry10 operating system operates extremely well on much lower hardware, leaving a smaller running-OS size (less RAM is needed and allows developers access to all of that extra RAM that normally with Android or iOS is taken up by system). Ever notice how BlackBerry10 doesn't stutter with the loading circle? Android struggles even with that, iOS still doesn't have actual multitasking. BlackBerry10 has had those and more since day one. They just need to keep ironing out the kinks and as the old slogan was, Keep Moving.

It took 4 or 5 years for Android and iOS both to develop enough to gain momentum with the market. Remember, BlackBerry10 is still a young OS. It'll take BlackBerry a bit longer because they have to rebuild a tarnished reputation and get the old BBOS phones out of people's head when they think of BlackBerry.

DonTonyB and DarthRebecca like this.
    03-18-15 06:43 PM
    Well I'm back on BlackBerry with a Passport after the abortion that is Android. So good to be back.
    When I picked up my AT&T Passport, they sort of "made" me take an Android LG tablet. I say "made" in that the sales person essentially told me to to take it, since it would only cost me $0.99 (ever) to own the tablet, and when I asked if it would cost me more on my monthly bill to carry the tablet, he said it wouldn't because of some discount I would receive, so that I would essentially be getting the tablet for free. He was either mistaken or lying, as the tablet will add $10 a month to my bill.

So of course, since I still have a perfectly fine Playbook and the Passport is practically a tablet anyway, I'd be interested in returning the tablet. Android indeed sucks. BUT, as the Passport's GPS does not appear to work, and the tablet's does, I am half considering keeping it - or returning it and getting a Note 4.

Sure hope BlackBerry fixes this GPS issue soon.
    03-18-15 07:24 PM
    Personally I think they are priced too high, especially the Classic. I would actually get one if its about the price of a Q10
    Maxxxpower and Flatman like this.
    03-18-15 07:38 PM
    You do realize that specs really don't mean that much on a phone, right?

If you only know about Android and iOS, then you probably only care about specs because that's all that differentiates the models and which phone you get. The better the specs, the better the "experience."

With BlackBerry10, running on the QNX microkernel (NOT the normal Android microkernel), it is efficient from the very first bit (I mean bit as in 8 bits in a byte). Take a look at the recent CrackBerry post where they explained how the BlackBerry10 OS and QNX system will allow them to mature BlackBerry for tens of years to come because of how efficient it is.

This isn't how Android or iOS work, so they will forcibly be retired in years to come for either an overhaul and new version, or die off (not saying they will, just that something will have to happen to make it more efficient).

Back to your post, specs for on a BlackBerry10 phone don't mean as much because the BlackBerry10 operating system operates extremely well on much lower hardware, leaving a smaller running-OS size (less RAM is needed and allows developers access to all of that extra RAM that normally with Android or iOS is taken up by system). Ever notice how BlackBerry10 doesn't stutter with the loading circle? Android struggles even with that, iOS still doesn't have actual multitasking. BlackBerry10 has had those and more since day one. They just need to keep ironing out the kinks and as the old slogan was, Keep Moving.

It took 4 or 5 years for Android and iOS both to develop enough to gain momentum with the market. Remember, BlackBerry10 is still a young OS. It'll take BlackBerry a bit longer because they have to rebuild a tarnished reputation and get the old BBOS phones out of people's head when they think of BlackBerry.

I have owned Z10, Z30, Passport, not to mention those legacy BlackBerry. Every spec upgrade makes huge improvements in user experience. So yes, I do know specs means a lot on a phone.

Maxxxpower, kbz1960 and techvisor like this.
    03-18-15 07:44 PM
    I have owned Z10, Z30, Passport, not to mention those legacy BlackBerry. Every spec upgrade makes huge improvements in user experience. So yes, I do know specs means a lot on a phone.

Spec improvement do help, but I'm saying that the specs of a BlackBerry10 phone vs Android being the same would actually mean that the performance would be better on the BlackBerry because it is more efficient.

I'm not saying specs don't matter, just that when you compare these very different OS's, it's a completely different argument and you need to consider that.

03-18-15 08:53 PM
    Hi all,

Long time reader, first time post.

I went through the fud with Nokia and the n900 and n9. The difference with BlackBerry and Nokia, in my opinion, is the leadership. While Elop issued the burning platform memo (leaked), BlackBerry ceo is showing confidence and long term commitment. This is something stockholders can get behind.

BlackBerry passport is my first BlackBerry device, coming from the iPhones and androids (5s,6, note 2,3,4). I have made sacrifices by platform jumping, but I am very happy with this device. I think many in both camps are bored and just need a little push since having a nice android is no longer synonymous with being smarter than the crowd.

If I could have one ask, I would make the os more tweakable.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:41 PM
    I happened to get a peek at the CB traffic numbers tonight for the last month and our traffic is WAY up. That means more new sign ups, more people posting etc, so they MUST be coming from somewhere! I guess all 8000 came here.
    03-18-15 11:20 PM
    Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 2014 (Thousands of Units)
    Operating System BlackBerry 7,911

Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014
    Scroll to Table 3

The writer failed to multiply the number by 1,000 (Thousands of Units) so 7.91 million BB phones sold worldwide in 2014 if I understand the table correctly.

Apple sold 74.8 million units in the 4th quarter of 2014 alone.
    Last edited by CigarDad; 03-18-15 at 11:36 PM.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-18-15 11:24 PM
    I happened to get a peek at the CB traffic numbers tonight for the last month and our traffic is WAY up. That means more new sign ups, more people posting etc, so they MUST be coming from somewhere! I guess all 8000 came here.
    Well said. Crackberry is the place to be.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-18-15 11:44 PM
    Spec improvement do help, but I'm saying that the specs of a BlackBerry10 phone vs Android being the same would actually mean that the performance would be better on the BlackBerry because it is more efficient.
    For all its flaws, Android is still usable and popular in wearables, IoT, and other embedded systems. BB10 has never run on a device with less than 1 GB RAM and dual core. Most devices have 2 GB RAM, which is absolutely absurd. Not only that, it uses an Android runtime that does not even fully leverage the hardware or OS.

BB10 is actually a detriment to BBRY's IoT strategy because of how inefficient it is. OEMs frequently need a more full featured embedded OS than QNX and they pick between Linux, Android, Windows CE, etc. Samsung prefers Tizen and LG champions WebOS.

Of course, IoT is mostly lip service by BBRY when it actually contributes little to its evolution and has no intention to but even if it wanted to participate it really couldn't.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-19-15 at 12:36 AM.
    Maxxxpower and techvisor like this.
    03-19-15 12:19 AM
191 1234 ...