Although I particularly read or agree with a lot SA write ups but i feel this article really does cover everything IMO. It's a good wishful thinking.
    It covers leadership style, Hardware (prosumer and enterprise) and Software and Security.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2031291-an-open-letter-to-john-chen?source=email_rt_article_readmore&uprof=45
    twis likes this.
    02-19-14 11:04 AM
    FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO OR CAN'T USE THE LINK

An Open Letter To John Chen
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:45 AM ET | About: BBRY
    Disclosure: I am long BBRY. (More...)

Dear John,

I am a long time BlackBerry (BBRY) user and currently use a Z30. It is unquestionably the best phone I have ever used and I am very pleased with it. I owned shares during the Hein's era and made a bit of money trading the stock. I sold out my position just ahead of the failed "For Sale" debacle and swore off BlackBerry stock, until recently. I have now taken a long position on the stock based solely on the decisive actions you have taken since becoming CEO of BlackBerry. As both a BlackBerry user and shareholder I am writing to you today in the hopes of synthesizing a few points for you from both camps.

Leadership:

You know as well as anyone that the role of CEO is a tough one, especially when a company is in such dire straits as BlackBerry. The decisive actions you have taken to date such as clearing out the old guard and bringing a fresh management team with a proven track record in mobile to off loading a large chunk of the hardware business through the deal with Foxconn (OTC:FXCOF) have been well received. The open letter message you sent to Enterprise customers was a nice personal touch as well. What I think I like most about the leadership style you have brought in your short time as CEO though is the fact that you have some "moxie". For too long BlackBerry was battered around by the media and others and we finally have a CEO who isn't afraid to push back. The response you gave to the T-Mobile (PCS) debacle was a breath of fresh air. The interview you gave for the March edition of Forbes was also a good move. Forbes has been notorious for bashing BlackBerry in the media and going on the offensive with these types of media outlets is welcomed and a long time coming. We like the leadership style, keep it up.

Hardware:

The deal with Foxconn was needed and most people get it. From an enterprise user standpoint I'd just like to comment that the BlackBerry experience is by far the best. My Z30 is the device I use for consuming 90% of my media and messaging. It replaces a tablet and its ease of use and features make even my PC seem cumbersome. I know you have stated that BlackBerry will continue to offer high end devices aimed at enterprise and I want you to know that it is welcomed. BlackBerry should focus on making the premier high end device. Offerings in both a touch and keyboard models that are loaded with all of the latest technical specs. The best screen resolution, the best camera specs, the best CPU and GPU processing power available and priced accordingly. You can restore the luster of the BlackBerry brand by making it the go to device for the successful. By making BlackBerry devices a symbol of success it creates a brand that is something to aspire to. When that happens a large percentage of "prosumer" consumer based customers will follow as will all the "Tech/Spec" buyers who simply must have the best in hardware. You said it yourself when you compared Blackberry to Porsche and shareholders agree.

Software and Security:

It has been mind numbingly hard to see the fact that security issues have dominated the headlines for over a year and BlackBerry has really not done much to capitalize on that. As shareholders we hope that touting BlackBerry security will be a priority for you. Personally following up with high profile enterprise customers who are testing BES 10 like Morgan Stanley (MS) and Boeing (BA) should be a priority. I believe the hardest blow BlackBerry took was the Gartner Research report which recommended to enterprise customers that they should abandon or at least implement an alternative solution to BES within 6 months. Gartner carries much influence in CIO circles and turning them into BES10 believers would be a huge step on the road to recovery. The climate is ripe for BlackBerry to exploit its strengths in security and bringing that security to all devices in the mobile space.

John, the experience, leadership, attitude and proven track record you bring to the table are second to none. BlackBerry users are counting on you to continue to grow the user experience and shareholders are counting on you to unlock the hidden value we all know is there in the stock.

The chart below shows that you are making the right moves and we look forward to continued growth as you implement the turnaround story of the decade.

Cheers!

(click to enlarge)
    twis and BallRockReaper like this.
    02-19-14 11:07 AM
    Awesome read and valid view.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:10 AM
    Worthless, grovelling, US centred tripe.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-19-14 11:17 AM

Care to elaborate why it is "worthless, grovelling, US centred tripe"? Maybe we can all learn a thing or two from you. Are you talking about Simply Alpha or the article?
    02-19-14 11:26 AM

Did you actually read the letter?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:42 PM
    Did you actually read the letter?

Posted via CB10
    Sure did, you can also add 'pointless' to my detailed analysis. I personally have no reason to rate Chen yet. All he's done is wield the axe and install some old chums. He's done absolutely nothing to improve the company's performance, engineering or innovation.

02-22-14 04:42 PM
    How is Chen going to sell phones to the prosumers without carrier support and sales stream.

If BES provides better security for all platforms, how is the tie in with a BB phone better?

How is Chen going to sell the Android apps solution ( while saying Android apps are dangerous).

How can BB make high spec phones when they are continually behind the front runners ?

I agree the letter is USA centric as is Mr. Chen. BB needs a world approach that recognizes that phone markets are unique.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-22-14 at 06:34 PM.
    02-22-14 04:57 PM
    How is Chen going to sell phones to the prosumers without carrier support and sales stream.

If BES provides better security for all platforms, how is the tie in with a BB phone better?

How is Chen going to sell the Android apps solution ( while saying Android apps are dangerous).

How can BB make high spec phones when they are continually behind the front runners ?

I agree the letter is USA centric as is Mr. Chen. BB needs a world approach that recognizes that phone markets are unique.
    BlackBerry took a world approach and ignored the US from about 2010 on. The US market is still their largest user base, but sales of new devices are dead because they ignored it for so long and let others control the message. The longer they ignore the US, the harder it will be to win it back. Look at how much effort they put into Indonesia, selling hardware at a loss, and now they are losing that market too to Android. So what would be better winning back the market that out you in top, has media influence, and that you can make money in hardware, or focus all your efforts in a low profit market where you are dropping like a rock. They need to take a global approach, but they need to work on US the hardest as it is still the biggest base of existing users.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 07:56 AM
    Sure did, you can also add 'pointless' to my detailed analysis. I personally have no reason to rate Chen yet. All he's done is wield the axe and install some old chums. He's done absolutely nothing to improve the company's performance, engineering or innovation.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Chen is changing the management and culture which was absolutely the first thing he should be doing as old bunch were not getting the job done. He also put hardware development and manufacturing in the hands of a firm that knows how to get the job done. We are not going to see any $ return on these moves right away but the change of direction is evidence that the new boss is a lot better than the old boss. He knows that Blackberry is not going to beat Apple, Google, Facebook etc. in the social medium game and instead is focusing on something where they can, with good management, fill a growing need for security in institutional communications.
    02-23-14 10:58 AM
    BlackBerry took a world approach and ignored the US from about 2010 on. The US market is still their largest user base, but sales of new devices are dead because they ignored it for so long and let others control the message. The longer they ignore the US, the harder it will be to win it back. Look at how much effort they put into Indonesia, selling hardware at a loss, and now they are losing that market too to Android. So what would be better winning back the market that out you in top, has media influence, and that you can make money in hardware, or focus all your efforts in a low profit market where you are dropping like a rock. They need to take a global approach, but they need to work on US the hardest as it is still the biggest base of existing users.

Posted via CB10
    You did not answer any of the questions in my post but nevermind.

I think it is fair to say that the USA gave up on BlackBerry before BlackBerry did, rightfully so. BlackBerry was unable to make an all touch phone until the release of the Z10. Even then the Z10 was not market ready what with the poor battery, beta software and unappealing specs. BBOS sales and service revenue largely outside of the USA has kept BlackBerry going as a phone manufacturer. I have read here that in fact BlackBerry is not manufacturing any phones currently but is selling their built up inventory.

Chen's plan for the USA is a desperation move. What else can he do ? I think that BlackBerry is hoping to repeat Nokia's successful (?) strategy . If WP8 succeeds it will be because of their beachhead in Europe and the emerging markets.

I think Kevin is correct when he says, "Expect to see in different strategies for different markets. For example, in the U.S. it’s no surprise that carrier support for BlackBerry is waning (or almost non-existent). Here he can not rely on the U.S. carriers as much and instead go straight to enterprise and government customers with a direct sales team. In other emerging markets, where BlackBerry is still doing well and the carrier support is there, he can push phone sales hard throughout 2014 and beyond."
    02-23-14 11:46 AM
    You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Chen is changing the management and culture which was absolutely the first thing he should be doing as old bunch were not getting the job done. He also put hardware development and manufacturing in the hands of a firm that knows how to get the job done. We are not going to see any $ return on these moves right away but the change of direction is evidence that the new boss is a lot better than the old boss. He knows that Blackberry is not going to beat Apple, Google, Facebook etc. in the social medium game and instead is focusing on something where they can, with good management, fill a growing need for security in institutional communications.
    Foxconn was a heins deal...
    The split into 4 divisions was a heins decision...
    I see zero evidence of a culture change.
    Has marketing improved? Has product delivery improved? Has the relationship with carriers improved?

02-23-14 03:56 PM
    Has marketing improved? Has product delivery improved? Has the relationship with carriers improved?

In all fairness, John Chen hasn't been on the job long enough for us to really know whether he can deliver tangible change on these things you are stating. Hopefully by the end of his first year the pictures will crystallize a little bit better. Also the Financial Report will be out too.
    02-23-14 04:11 PM
    The letter should have also touched on marketing & promotion.
    02-25-14 11:37 AM
    I think it is fair to say that the USA gave up on BlackBerry before BlackBerry did, rightfully so.
    I really should dig up and share the analysis I keep from Comscore's data. You really see the impact of Verizon specifically turning their backs on BlackBerry and what it did in that market. While it's still declining, it's actually more leveling off now weirdly.

BlackBerry was unable to make an all touch phone until the release of the Z10.
    Well, they did - but they weren't very good, IMO. :-) They were on an aging platform meant for a scroll wheel + click button and no amount of trying to dress up the Storm, Storm2, Torch 9860 or Curve 9380 could really make up for this fact.
    02-25-14 01:15 PM

Unless Chen takes you around personally, I doubt you'd see it right now. Hasn't been on the job all that long for us to know what he has and hasn't done.
    02-25-14 01:16 PM