The shorts and paid bashers are hurting the company.
    01-26-15 08:48 AM
    The short term stock price has very little to do with the operations of the company.
    01-26-15 08:53 AM
    The company's inability to provide products that people want to buy are what are hurting the company.

The stock prices has little to do with the actual health of a company... but it is an indicator or how that company is doing.
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-26-15 08:54 AM
    It means that the overall market values the assets of the company higher than the non-purchase long-term plan by quite a lot. It goes against the idea that the company has more potential on it own.
    01-26-15 08:58 AM
    Why do you assume it is a short or paid basher that is manipulating the share value in an upward matter? Couldn't I just as easily accuse longs of manipulating the stock price down by publishing bad news so they could snap the stock up cheap? See how silly this is.

It's more likely that shorts manipulate the stock down and longs manipulate the stock up, IMO. These manipulators are on your side (or at best neutral).
    01-26-15 09:17 AM
    We'll see how BES sales go and if it lives up to Chen's promise of doubling BES revenue. Higher revenue will cause the stock to go up and he's already working on that.
    01-26-15 09:24 AM
    ummm...the stock has DOUBLED since Chen took over actually.

I agree, the shorts and/or paid bashers have hurt the company in the past but that is slowly going away.

We will see more evidence this year when all the products in the pipeline will begin to gain traction. There are MANY goodies there as already showcased.
    01-26-15 09:25 AM
    I don't think you will see much from Chen until next month at MWC when they provide more details on upcoming devices.

The stock price is in the hands of the media however they choose to spin any news til then.
    01-26-15 09:28 AM
    I don't think you will see much from Chen until next month at MWC when they provide more details on upcoming devices.

The stock price is in the hands of the media however they choose to spin any news til then.
    Details on upcoming devices aren't going to mean much... it's sales of existing devices!

The Classic is suppose to be BlackBerry's bread and butter and BES12 is suppose to have fixed everything that Enterprise wanted. So right now what everyone is really waiting on, is to see if there really is a niche and how large it is.

BlackBerry is a company, and it's life blood is selling products at a profit. The media didn't spin the FACT that hardware sales are down and that Service revenues are down, and thus their life blood is slowly draining away. Chen is the one doing the "spin" with promises of a transfusion by some somthing....

But simply until he has a product that he can make money on and the customers want to buy.... the Company is dying.
    01-26-15 09:42 AM
    But simply until he has a product that he can make money on and the customers want to buy.... the Company is dying.
    Just curious, do you take a finite snapshot in time and use this to define a company's status?
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 01-26-15 at 10:31 AM.
    Andy_bb_king, THBW and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-26-15 10:10 AM
    I just hope they don't ever give up. Despite what critics might say the BB10 OS is amazing, and the hardware they have been putting out lately is phenomenal! From the Z30 to Passport and Classic. Blackberry is moving in the right direction, slowly but surely. John Chen don't give up, keep the momentum, get innovative!
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-26-15 10:34 AM
    OP simply does not understand the stock market... Chen has obsolutley no control or influence in the long or short term on stock prices...investors obviously see something of value in BB, if not it would be a penny stock at best.... what the OP fails to realize is that is is the institutional investor that in the end will decide BB fate... the Shorts and longs are simply gambling on on the stock....Institutional investors look very long term .,.. years.... they do not look at fluctuations..but rather quarterly reports... the only thing Chen can do in the long term is turn a profit.... that in the end is the only thing that will raise the stock price...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-26-15 11:02 AM
    Says the short term trader
    01-26-15 11:13 AM
    Short of an acquisition, the market seems to value BBRY at around $9 or less. When an acquisition rumor comes around it jumps up to $12.50. Built in there is a hedge where a rumored $15 dollar acquisition price is discounted because it's a rumor. And, the $9 price does figure in some possibility of an acquisition. As an ongoing concern the stock is valued at even less. The PR announcement-type stuff that people regard as good news around here isn't going to move the stock that much because it's simply blue-sky stuff.
    01-26-15 11:14 AM
    Just curious, do you take a finite snapshot in time and use this to define a company's status?
    Not sure what you are calling a finite snapshot? The company has been in a decline for the last five years.

BlackBerry is still company in search of a product and customers.
    01-26-15 11:30 AM
    All John Chen has to do to make the stock go up by a lot is to announce that the company is immediately for sale to the highest bidder. It would probably go up to $14. Make an announcement that any sale of the company absolutely off the table and it goes down to $8.
    01-26-15 11:38 AM
    Not sure what you are calling a finite snapshot? The company has been in a decline for the last five years.

BlackBerry is still company in search of a product and customers.
    So what is the timeframe you use for defining a company?

They have no product, no customers?
    01-26-15 11:42 AM
    Details on upcoming devices aren't going to mean much... it's sales of existing devices!

The Classic is suppose to be BlackBerry's bread and butter and BES12 is suppose to have fixed everything that Enterprise wanted. So right now what everyone is really waiting on, is to see if there really is a niche and how large it is.

BlackBerry is a company, and it's life blood is selling products at a profit. The media didn't spin the FACT that hardware sales are down and that Service revenues are down, and thus their life blood is slowly draining away. Chen is the one doing the "spin" with promises of a transfusion by some somthing....

I think you are incorrect not to think the media has no effect on stock price, inaccurate or biased opinions of media regarding BlackBerry 10 devices and software definetly do hurt BlackBerry

It is in vogue to trash BlackBerry currently so most media outlets do it, to be like the herd.

That is how actors and sports figure earn many millions of dollars, to be paid spokesman for objects. The media, through negative comments can hurt objects too.

When ever that tipping point happens when media decide to get behind BlackBerry and find a new dog to kick, the stockprice will climb so fast, all of our heads will spin

The question is when and if that will happen

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 11:51 AM
    So what is the timeframe you use for defining a company?

They have no product, no customers?
    ? As I said the last five years....

Every year they sell fewer products and they have fewer customers. They have gone from a company that was worth $40 Billion to one that is maybe $5 Billion.

To redefine the company they need several quarters of growth of some type - Hardware, Services, IoT one of these needs to increase revenues and at an operational profit.

If you are only looking at the share price and how it was affected by Chen being appointed as CEO... that may seem to be a big improvement from $6 to $10 a share. But that seems to bee a more finite snapshot....
    01-26-15 11:58 AM
    I think you are incorrect not to think the media has no effect on stock price, inaccurate or biased opinions of media regarding BlackBerry 10 devices and software definetly do hurt BlackBerry

It is in vogue to trash BlackBerry currently so most media outlets do it, to be like the herd.

That is how actors and sports figure earn many millions of dollars, to be paid spokesman for objects. The media, through negative comments can hurt objects too.

When ever that tipping point happens when media decide to get behind BlackBerry and find a new dog to kick, the stockprice will climb so fast, all of our heads will spin

The question is when and if that will happen

Posted via CB10
    This will always be trumped by advisor's average rating and short interest in the stock.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 12:17 PM
    You mean there are people out there paying people to shed bad light on a company with less than 1% market share...you must be a comedian LOL
    01-26-15 12:18 PM
    I just hope they don't ever give up. Despite what critics might say the BB10 OS is amazing, and the hardware they have been putting out lately is phenomenal! From the Z30 to Passport and Classic. Blackberry is moving in the right direction, slowly but surely. John Chen don't give up, keep the momentum, get innovative!
    If you define that hardware as phenomenal, I think BB is toasted.
    01-26-15 12:22 PM
    I you are OK with the positive spin from the media like 60 Minutes showing the Passport being used as browser for the tumor genome sequencing equipment.
    01-26-15 12:29 PM
    You mean there are people out there paying people to shed bad light on a company with less than 1% market share...you must be a comedian LOL
    Sure this thread is probably a good example.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-26-15 12:30 PM
    Well played, my friend. One could try to explain to the previous OP how one actually values different types of companies but I suspect they wouldn't listen to common sense.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    01-26-15 12:44 PM
62 123