At this point, the only company who could possible buy bbry is Samsung.

1. The patents may(or not) be very helpful for Samsung as it is fighting apple all the time right now on patents. I really do not see bbry patents have much value for MSFT/GOOG.

2. BBM could actually be helpful for Samsung, they can just preinstall it on every of their smart phones just like iMessage does on iphone, and the number of BBM users could easily go to 500M+ in two years if they push hard on it. And only samsung has the scale to do that considering it sold 70M smartphone in 2013 Q1. Again, BBM is not that useful for msft/google/apple, or any other Andriod players.

Overall, samsung is strong on hardware, but they have little footprint on software, for a high tech company with a size like Samsung, it is not good if you do not own any software part, just like all the old players Mot/NOK, things could change quickly if you do not own some special. And they have the money(8Billion profit in one qtr).

As for Lenova, I do not see the patents/BBM are that useful for it either.

I am not sure why Samsung has little interest on bbry considering the takeover price is so low now.
    VJMotz likes this.
    09-25-13 01:09 PM
    I am not sure why Samsung has little interest on bbry considering the takeover price is so low now.
    Possibly because it's a Korean company buying a Canadian company? Samsung may feel the effort to try to get the Canadian government's approval is not worth it.
    09-25-13 01:20 PM
    Samsung has a working meseenger app in ChatOn with a web interface and everything, makes no sense to switch to a faultering bbm.

They also have at least 2 operating systems they have invested into in Tizen and Bada, not to mention they can just fork Android.

Can the patents even be used against Apple or does Apple already have a license to them?
    09-25-13 02:12 PM
    You can hope!

Just don't bet on it with real money!
    09-25-13 04:54 PM
    Possibly because it's a Korean company buying a Canadian company? Samsung may feel the effort to try to get the Canadian government's approval is not worth it.
    You may be right, but I doubt the Canadian government would object to any takeover at this point (except maybe by a Chinese company). At most it might try to extract some promises about keeping some tech jobs in Waterloo.

The biggest hurdle may be Samsung's plan to go with Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:43 PM
    Sorry, but the Chinese are only allowed to buy up all of our resources and land.

Dying companies are not for sale?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:56 PM
    At this point, the only company who could possible buy bbry is Samsung.

1. The patents may(or not) be very helpful for Samsung as it is fighting apple all the time right now on patents. I really do not see bbry patents have much value for MSFT/GOOG.

2. BBM could actually be helpful for Samsung, they can just preinstall it on every of their smart phones just like iMessage does on iphone, and the number of BBM users could easily go to 500M+ in two years if they push hard on it. And only samsung has the scale to do that considering it sold 70M smartphone in 2013 Q1. Again, BBM is not that useful for msft/google/apple, or any other Andriod players.

Overall, samsung is strong on hardware, but they have little footprint on software, for a high tech company with a size like Samsung, it is not good if you do not own any software part, just like all the old players Mot/NOK, things could change quickly if you do not own some special. And they have the money(8Billion profit in one qtr).

As for Lenova, I do not see the patents/BBM are that useful for it either.

Your first sentence is already incorrect twice.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:00 PM
    Samsung would not have to buy BBRY to preload BBM on their phones. They'd just pay BB a license fee.

Also, Samsung is working with Intel to develop the Tizen OS. They wouldn't be interested in BB10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-25-13 08:28 PM
    Samsung would not have to buy BBRY to preload BBM on their phones. They'd just pay BB a license fee.

Also, Samsung is working with Intel to develop the Tizen OS. They wouldn't be interested in BB10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    I did not count on BB10 at all. All I said were the patents/BBM were useful for Samsung, but not so much for Microsoft/Google/Apple.

Samsung currently is leading in screen and design, if they want, they can easily sell 5M+ BB phones with their screen/design.

I just do not see other company can do that.
    09-25-13 10:15 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love to see them or Microsoft buy BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 05:40 AM
    I did not count on BB10 at all. All I said were the patents/BBM were useful for Samsung, but not so much for Microsoft/Google/Apple.

Samsung currently is leading in screen and design, if they want, they can easily sell 5M+ BB phones with their screen/design.

I just do not see other company can do that.
    Screen maybe but the design aspect is very subjective. I am not sold on their plastic approach.

via my Q10's smexy keyboard.
    09-26-13 05:56 AM
    Screen maybe but the design aspect is very subjective. I am not sold on their plastic approach.
    BlackBerry has a "plastic approach" as well. Have you ever taken the battery cover off a Z10? Or held a Q5?
    09-26-13 08:43 AM
    BlackBerry has a "plastic approach" as well. Have you ever taken the battery cover off a Z10? Or held a Q5?
    As I've said, design perspective is very subjective. I'd still pick the z10 over any samsung galaxy phone in terms of design and overall feel, but that's just my opinion. I hate the hyperglaze coating on Samsung's phones. Never held a Q5, not a fan of curve keyboards sorry.

via my Q10's smexy keyboard.
    09-26-13 10:06 AM
    Fairfax will be the only company that buys Blackberry and that is if the deal goes through. If it dosent Hello $2-$3 a share.
    09-26-13 10:31 AM