We'll know in a week when they release their earnings. But we should all brace ourselves for a HW wind down to come much sooner than any of us expected.
    They'll likely try with Android in some sort of collaboration effort before mothballing the hardware division.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-18-15 03:19 PM
    They'll likely try with Android in some sort of collaboration effort before mothballing the hardware division.
    If the rumors are true then yes, you are probably right. I would be curious to see how they would do if they decided to skin Android like BB10. As I've said in other threads, it will be just a hard for them to compete in this arena, especially against heavyweights like Samsung and low cost high value handsets like OPO and Xiaomi.
    03-18-15 03:44 PM
    What a load of crap, you apple freaks need to get a life and stop wishing these stupid rumours are true because they're NOT

Posted via BBPP
    03-18-15 06:11 PM
    If they are going to further cut hardware division costs they'll probably use the Slider as a jumpoff point for one device at two price points a mid and high end, following Apple strategy of previous years model being the affordable option for the next year.
    03-18-15 06:24 PM
    If they are going to further cut hardware division costs they'll probably use the Slider as a jumpoff point for one device at two price points a mid and high end, following Apple strategy of previous years model being the affordable option for the next year.
    This makes sense. Based on the reported lacklustre sales of the Passport, I wonder if they will bother making a successor? We could see a day where there are only three devices. Low end being filled by the Classic (which will also satisfy BELT lovers), and a mid and high end slider. I have a feeling the Leap will leap into obscurity sooner rather than later.
    03-18-15 06:59 PM
    Thats exactly what the Morgan Stanley report states that US sales are terrible, estimated only 8,000 for the ATT/Verizon launches and thus global sales won't be able to reach Chen's 10M goal anytime soon in the future. Chen will continue to say as long as that part of company is overall profitable via higher margins, BB can and will continue to make devices.

Obviously the US market is a graveyard for BB so its not good news thus the stock downgrade.
    Yup....with three days of sales and zero...ZERO support from US carriers...no training to shop staff, no advertising commitment from carriers....kinda reads like a car wreck.

Classically Posted.
    03-18-15 07:14 PM
    But that's OK....BB is just fine without them

Classically Posted.
    03-18-15 07:19 PM
    Considering the ZERO marketing effort and ZERO carrier support...8000 could be expected but hopefully more like 800000

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 07:40 PM
    This makes sense. Based on the reported lacklustre sales of the Passport, I wonder if they will bother making a successor? We could see a day where there are only three devices. Low end being filled by the Classic (which will also satisfy BELT lovers), and a mid and high end slider. I have a feeling the Leap will leap into obscurity sooner rather than later.
    Using this strategy, Classic/small PKB device refresh every two years + Slider every year, old Slider becomes the midrange, BB cuts down development and carrying costs dramatically and they could keep making profitable devices lines with lower volumes like just 4-5M in annual sales for as long as they want and not fret if BB ever gets back above 1% marketshare.

The longer you keep a device around the more you take advantage of lower component costs increasing your profits. This is also what Xiaomi does with its phones by selling at near cost at launch and recouping profit on the back end on component costs.

We'll see about the future of the Passport but in the US I don't think any carrier will take on the refresh.
    03-18-15 07:41 PM
    and those 800000 would be mostly enterprise

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 07:41 PM
    I understood Chen as saying that Blackberry is able to be profitable in hardware selling 10million devices per year. I NEVER heard him state that they need this total to stay in the hardware business.
    ...and Chen has said that the handset division is profitable NOW. So, either they HAVE sold 10 million OR the 10 million number was an off-the-top-of-his-head remark, was taken out of context, or their costs have dropped to the point where 10 million is higher than needed going forward.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and zlatno like this.
    03-18-15 08:43 PM
    ...and Chen has said that the handset division is profitable NOW. So, either they HAVE sold 10 million OR the 10 million number was an off-the-top-of-his-head remark, was taken out of context, or their costs have dropped to the point where 10 million is higher than needed going forward.

Posted via CB10
    Edit - Inaccurate info.
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 03-19-15 at 06:56 AM.
    03-18-15 11:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    This...
    Why al the speculation..He clearly said they make money in HW. Than wy stop that devision...

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 12:46 AM
    Be it 8000 or 80000 for a week, two weeks, or a month, this is not good news no matter how you slice it. Let's hope the report is grossly inaccurate and the numbers are much better. We'll know in a week when they release their earnings.
    We're probably not going to get the clarification we want in the earnings. We never do. Blackberry doesn't enjoy giving device breakdowns and information has only become vaguer and vaguer over the years. The only reason for BBRY to speak up would be to snub Morgan Stanley and I'm not sure if it'd choose to do so over keeping better, yet sobering, numbers hush hush.

But we should all brace ourselves for a HW wind down to come much sooner than any of us expected.
    I don't think that if Blackberry chose to abandon hardware now that it'd be sooner than expected.

Blackberry sat on the division for a lot longer than most industry watchers thought it would. Many thought Blackberry would shutter the doors on a money bleeding division; but, if it exits now, the primary reason to exit is not because the division is losing money but because the division has become too insignificant. Blackberry fought tooth and nail but its boxing in an empty stadium at this point.

We're at 0.4% marketshare now and I wouldn't be surprised to see the number continue to decline. I don't see Blackberry aiming to serve something as low as 0.2% marketshare even if it could scrap some coins. Blackberry has other revenue streams and it simply isn't worth the inventory risk or the effort.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-19-15 at 01:31 AM.
    JeepBB, eyesopen1111 and techvisor like this.
    03-19-15 01:19 AM
    In BB's glory days I believe they sold 11 million devices at their peak. If I had to guess I would say this is where his estimate came from.
    in their peak they sold around 15 million a quarter not in a year
    03-19-15 05:02 AM
    in their peak they sold around 15 million a quarter not in a year
    Thanks. Then I misread what I saw in another thread here. The number must have been 11 million per quarter, not year.
    03-19-15 06:54 AM
    Thanks. Then I misread what I saw in another thread here. The number must have been 11 million per quarter, not year.
    14.9 million in the quarter before the launch of the playbook actually
    03-19-15 07:27 AM
    Found this article this morning... would have thought more than 8,000 handsets sold..,, hmmmm.,,,, What say you...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...143732238.html

Morgan Stanley in a note on Monday said that BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) sales of its software and phones are "not tracking anywhere close" to where they need to be.

Shares recently traded at $9.73, down 0.87 percent.

Based on research and conversations, Morgan Stanley said that VARs and resellers are finding BlackBerry is a tough sell, even for enterprise customers. On the phone, Morgan Stanley said that as many as 8,000 Classic and Passport phones have been sold, "well below" the 2-3 million needed in FY16.

Meanwhile, Morgan Stanley said that even if BlackBerry is able to stem the declines in its enterprise unit, the $500 million in software revenue is unlikely. In short, BlackBerry will not "get anywhere close" to this goal.
    So if Morgan Stanley had the sales for day 1 of fiscal quarter 1 for FY 2016 at 8,000 units then this number is more reasonable but is more than 3 times smaller than what it needs to be. BlackBerry needs to sell 28k phones a day if it wants to track to the 2.5M phones a quarter or the 10 million phones per year.
    On the software side I don't think the surveys have indicated that they asked the ones who signed up for a trial of BES 12 that need to renew this year and will become part of the revenue number. If they invested in the hardware and like the software, why wouldn't they renew?
    It seems these analysts have the stock going outside the curve they have predicted...time to fix that I guess.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:11 AM
    I guess we will all be listening intently next Friday...
    03-19-15 03:11 PM
    So if Morgan Stanley had the sales for day 1 of fiscal quarter 1 for FY 2016 at 8,000 units then this number is more reasonable but is more than 3 times smaller than what it needs to be. BlackBerry needs to sell 28k phones a day if it wants to track to the 2.5M phones a quarter or the 10 million phones per year.
    On the software side I don't think the surveys have indicated that they asked the ones who signed up for a trial of BES 12 that need to renew this year and will become part of the revenue number. If they invested in the hardware and like the software, why wouldn't they renew?
    It seems these analysts have the stock going outside the curve they have predicted...time to fix that I guess.

Posted via CB10

Exactly! Who did they interview? Their Good Tech and MobileIron customers? BlackBerry users? BES12 subscribers?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:40 PM
    Dude ))
    https://www.zauba.com/import-reg+ind...0-hs-code.html
    this is from INDIA, Passports only
    that's import quantity number, not how many devices sold.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-19-15 09:49 PM
    Blackberry needs to have low end devices with same hardware specs like Android phones or Microsoft with WP, with price around US$120, in order to gain better sales. Take an example of Lumia 430, which US$70.

Some people have doubts with the blackberry comeback (with OS 10). If people satisfied with low end devices, then it's the way to grain trust. Then people might want to try the high end devices.

Price is very sensitive issue in developing countries. But then again in developed countries, people already stuck on iPhone. It's not easy to gain trust to a "new" device (BB10 OS). Knowing that to date phones are better than BBOS7. IMO.

Even if it's true, that sales maybe mostly come from BlackBerry fans like me.

Posted from CB10 with BlackBerry Z3
    Last edited by dwisetyoaji; 03-20-15 at 04:37 AM.
    03-20-15 01:31 AM
    that's import quantity number, not how many devices sold.
    they wouldn't import the last batch of 31K if it wouldn't sell
    03-20-15 03:56 AM
    Everyone needs to chill out
    03-20-15 07:59 AM
    This will end well.
    03-20-15 08:23 AM
252 ... 678910 ...