Well, he starts by receiving highly customized alerts on his BBOS BlackBerry. He hears the alert and/or feels the vibration. If his BlackBerry is on a table on Silent, he sees the LED start to blink. When it's an audible and/or tactile alert, he recognizes immediately that it's a Level 1 email. As soon as he pulls it out of his holster, the message opens. He reads it, hits "R," hammers out a reply on his physical keyboard, and hits "Send." Done. BlackBerry back into holster. At this point, the itoy "average" consumer doesn't even know he has an important message. And even in the unlikely event that the message has hit his phone, he won't realize it until he wakes up his screen some time later when some game makes a tone to let him know that it's his "turn."
    See, I'd define it in much simpler terms. As a business person, communication is my ability to reach out and connect efficiently and quickly with as many people I need to via as many outlets as possible.

A smartphone (aka communication tool) has to manage that the way I want: imap email, cross platform video chat, texts, social networks, blogs etc. Heck, even Ingress is a networking tool for me.

My Bible App is a communication tool. What about collaborative tools, like Gdocs?

My point is that communication is a very all-encompassing term, and to be successful, I feel BBRY has to create the best communication tools around, ones that think outside the box.
    09-24-13 04:21 PM
    A Professional Consumer/Prosumer, is clearly meant in the context it was made, to mean business. Blackberry will be marketing their mobiles to businesses exclusively, designing their product for business exclusively, pricing their product for business exclusively. Obviously businesses have a budget and nothing is open ended, but it would seem to me that this would mean that Blackberry is not focusing upon apps, specs, design, but instead plain functionality, which potentially could keep prices down and allow their product to be purchased en masse.

It will be a basic smartphone with all but the most minimal apps; maps, banking, office etc as core apps. All else would be superfluous. This is essentially what Blackberry have always done with the consumer market and had limited success. Now they are withdrawing back to their roots.

As for whether someone could be a prosumer or not, its clear that this guy is not the target market, but by his use would be able to utilise the mobile as his needs are limited and simple. Although he is clearly not the target of the market.

You can make an office suit look causal with the right shirt and shoes, but its still marketed as an office suit; as office attire and to say otherwise is reaching. Just because a guy decides to wear the suit for causal purposes, doesn't make him an office worker, any more than this guy would be a 'prosumer'.

Thats my take.
    mset likes this.
    09-24-13 04:30 PM
    "@crackberrykevin: @Alphax45 Think about the traditional BB user of years gone by. Power user. Doesn't need latest tech. Needs to get **** done. Has $$$."
    09-24-13 05:01 PM
    A Professional Consumer/Prosumer, is clearly meant in the context it was made, to mean business.
    Thank you. Business. That's what enterprise user signifies, and that's what Prosumer signifies.
    09-24-13 07:25 PM
    "@crackberrykevin: @Alphax45 Think about the traditional BB user of years gone by. Power user. Doesn't need latest tech. Needs to get **** done. Has $$$."
    Exactly. Has $$$ is key. The Enterprise/Prosumer market is not made up of people who can't afford to spend $650+ on a handheld computer that will be a cornerstone of their productivity.

I won't even bother to respond to the trolls who asked ridiculous questions like 'Don't you think business owners want to save money'.
    09-24-13 07:27 PM
    So premium pricing for not the "latest" tech with limited apps. How is the new prosumer focused product different than the current philosophy/reality?
    johnyblaze likes this.
    09-24-13 11:54 PM
    The funny thing is this so called "prosumer" has overwhelmingly chosen to go with the iPhone or an Android device, that's a major reason BB had to come out with BB10! BYOD was decimating BB in the enterprise space.

And now all of a sudden they are going to focus on a magical prosumer who doesn't want an iPhone or an Android?
    The truth is 99% of business users can get their needs filled by an iPhone or some Android device PLUS they get to have the latest Apps and the greatest hardware, not to mention the complementary iPads & Android tabs, which BB now doesn't have.

Friday should be very interesting when someone asks T.H what a prosumer is.
    09-25-13 02:02 AM
    09-25-13 09:16 AM
    Exactly. Has $$$ is key. The Enterprise/Prosumer market is not made up of people who can't afford to spend $650+ on a handheld computer that will be a cornerstone of their productivity.

I won't even bother to respond to the trolls who asked ridiculous questions like 'Don't you think business owners want to save money'.
    You're still fixated on the budget part. The user that started this rant of yours could afford a BlackBerry. You just keep ignoring that. What makes someone who points out that business owners or professionals of any type want to save money a troll?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:26 AM
    You're still fixated on the budget part. The user that started this rant of yours could afford a BlackBerry.
    Posted via CB10
    No, he couldn't. Not an enterprise level one as defined by BBRY's new direction. He has a budget constraint. That's the whole point.

That's why he's not a prosumer by definition.
    09-25-13 09:33 AM
60 123